The Student Room Group

UCL GPA requirement - Lower Second Class Honours (2:2) equivalence

Hi Guys,
Lower Second Class Honours (2:2) varies depending university and the programme when I check country specific requirements. It goes as 3/4 or 75% for a general equivalence.

In the time a bit of laziness and lack of alacrity to some rather irrelevant classes, I got CGPA 2.7 / 4 in civil engineering even though my core lessons which actually matter in my opinion are quite high. Now after 6 years of graduation, my GPA came back to hunt me =)

While some of the universities considers 2:2 an equivalent of 2.7 / 4, UCL suggests that they require 3/4.

How strict they are for GPA requirement ?

Do you think it is worth a shot to apply or waste of time.
Reply 1
Original post by London_CM_Msc
Hi Guys,
Lower Second Class Honours (2:2) varies depending university and the programme when I check country specific requirements. It goes as 3/4 or 75% for a general equivalence.

In the time a bit of laziness and lack of alacrity to some rather irrelevant classes, I got CGPA 2.7 / 4 in civil engineering even though my core lessons which actually matter in my opinion are quite high. Now after 6 years of graduation, my GPA came back to hunt me =)

While some of the universities considers 2:2 an equivalent of 2.7 / 4, UCL suggests that they require 3/4.

To be honest, you're best off contacting the university. It costs nothing to apply, so if you really want to go to UCL, you're wasting nothing (but time) by applying.

However, as you've already said, your GPA is below their entry requirement, and here it does say they usually take students with a minimum GPA of 3.3-3.5. Therefore the rest of your application will need to be good to make up for the shortcomings of your GPA. You say it's been 6 years since you graduated though? If you have experience that would look good on your application.

tl;dr you should contact the uni and ask, or just submit your application and see what happens. worst comes to worst, you get rejected. no harm done. it will likely depend on the course & demand for the course, and the other elements on your application.
Hello there,
I took your advise and applied anyways and got an offer :smile: Although it is not quite common, it appears that they take special circumstances into consideration as well such as having a stunning career background. I did prepare well as well and my personal statement still manages to excite me anytime I read. I actually also had couple semesters over GPA 3.5 which probably gave an indication that also academically, I would be capable of pursuing higher degree.

Thanks for the encouragement ! Strange things do happen in life, I guess, after all

Original post by k3ro
To be honest, you're best off contacting the university. It costs nothing to apply, so if you really want to go to UCL, you're wasting nothing (but time) by applying.

However, as you've already said, your GPA is below their entry requirement, and here it does say they usually take students with a minimum GPA of 3.3-3.5. Therefore the rest of your application will need to be good to make up for the shortcomings of your GPA. You say it's been 6 years since you graduated though? If you have experience that would look good on your application.

tl;dr you should contact the uni and ask, or just submit your application and see what happens. worst comes to worst, you get rejected. no harm done. it will likely depend on the course & demand for the course, and the other elements on your application.
Reply 3
Hello there,
I took your advise and applied anyways and got an offer :smile: Although it is not quite common, it appears that they take special circumstances into consideration as well such as having a stunning career background. I did prepare well as well and my personal statement still manages to excite me anytime I read. I actually also had couple semesters over GPA 3.5 which probably gave an indication that also academically, I would be capable of pursuing higher degree.

Thanks for the encouragement ! Strange things do happen in life, I guess, after all

No problem dude! Glad to hear it worked out so well for you. I thought you'd have a pretty good shot tbh because 6 years of experience is great. Hope you enjoy your course!
Reply 4
Hi Guys,

I'm kind of stuck in the same boat. Do you mind if I ask which university you went to for undergrad? and if it was in the US?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending