The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, supposed to be having an RAF induction day on the 30th but they never posted me the letter they promised.

Useless *****.
Reply 2

If you click on the "my societies" thing at the top of my post, you'll find a link to the aviators society. There, you'll find laods of people!
Reply 3
PM sent to you richy. Thanks for the link Juno:smile:
I would consider, but I hate the ear popping on take off/landing.
Reply 5
Well you can be a propeller pilot. That's what i want to do and it is more hands on flying.
Richy_Boi
Yeah, supposed to be having an RAF induction day on the 30th but they never posted me the letter they promised.

Useless *****.

Get used to it if you're thinking of joining...

More than 3/4 of the force are deticated to maintaining the admin vortex.
Reply 7
icantthinkofacoolusername
Get used to it if you're thinking of joining...

More than 3/4 of the force are deticated to maintaining the admin vortex.

Shocking considering the fact I registered my name down in November!

I've got good grades and am physically active so can't see why they haven't bothered. Atleast give me a bloody interview or let me attend the open day?

Useless, considering they desperatley need more personnel.
Richy_Boi

I've got good grades and am physically active so can't see why they haven't bothered. Atleast give me a bloody interview or let me attend the open day?

I know it's ridiculous.

Last year they got rid of all their spec. aircrew, giving them all in excess of £150 000 redundancy and a pension.

They've now realised they need them back...
Reply 9
Well if anyone wants the link to the website that a pilot friend has up and running just pm me:smile:
I don't want to be a pilot as a career or anything but I'd love to fly.
I know it's ridiculous.

Last year they got rid of all their spec. aircrew, giving them all in excess of £150 000 redundancy and a pension.

It's quite putting down though, I made the effort to travel to the nearest AFCO, had a chat and all that *******s and was assured they'd send me details on how to apply and to attend the open day etc.

******s.
Reply 12
planes12
Well you can be a propeller pilot. That's what i want to do and it is more hands on flying.

Ear popping still happens in prop aircraft.

Turboprops can cruise up to about 25,000 - 30,000ft and your average washing machine (aka Cessna 152) has a ceiling of somewhere around 7,000ft (I forget the exact figures since I'm a passenger, not a pilot). I've even had my ears pop in a C152 at 2,000ft.
Richy_Boi
It's quite putting down though, I made the effort to travel to the nearest AFCO, had a chat and all that *******s and was assured they'd send me details on how to apply and to attend the open day etc.

******s.

I know it sucks.

If it's something you really want to do then persevere.

If you're finding it all too offputting then get out before you're in too deep...
What an inaccurate thread.

You made the effort to travel down to the nearest AFCO? Good job. Now how about making the effort to go back, get the application forms, start ringing up bases to organise base visits, start studying for the exams and interviews, start getting fit, ask to be booked in for a P2 presentation, etc. Then you'll probably be at the stage where you have some sort of real motivation to join.

You went in once, they didn't call back and you give up?
Richy_Boi

...and lots of applicants have degrees. So that's a moot point.

The reason why they can't let you just have an interview is because there is a set procedure that they have to follow. Starting with you going in and attending a P2 presentation.

Oh and they don't desperately need more personnel to the point that they are struggling to recruit. They have the pick of the bunch from people who make it to the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre.
I know it's ridiculous.

No spec aircrew left with a redundancy package. A lot of people took their option point and the pension is part of the conditions of service and includes a large lump sum on retirement. That is the norm.

If they were giving away 150k redundancy packages I'd be in Spain right now.
BlackHawk
...and lots of applicants have degrees. So that's a mute point.

The reason why they can't let you just have an interview is because there is a set procedure that they have to follow. Starting with you going in and attending a P2 presentation.

I think you have misread what I wrote my friend. They were holding an Open Day/Presentation on the 30th of January, for which I was told I was invited to, via a letter through the post.

Not making an interview would be understandable.

Why are you so bitter anyway?
BlackHawk
Did they? A lot of people took their option point and the pension is part of the conditions of service.

Pensions are inclusive of the terms of service - they are paid on a sliding scale; more years service = greater final pension.

I was trying to point out what an ill thought out move it was on the part of the government; not only have they lost the majority of their most skilled personel, if they are looking to get them back few will be willing to return unless they are allowed to keep their redundancy payment and also, in many cases, offered some form of promotion and therefore pay rise.
BlackHawk
No spec aircrew left with a redundancy package. A lot of people took their option point and the pension is part of the conditions of service and includes a large lump sum on retirement. That is the norm.

If they were giving away 150k redundancy packages I'd be in Spain right now.

Erm, actually my Dad did...

Latest

Trending

Trending