The Student Room Group

MSci vs MSc?

Hi everyone, happy Monday! :tee:

I have just completed my first year of a BSc course and I am toying with the idea of doing an MSci or an MSc. Who better to ask than the devotees of The Student Room? :biggrin:

I honestly don't know much about the difference between them aside from the MSc must be funded independently of the Student Finance system. And that an MSc leads on to a PhD? Um.

If any of the people who clicked this could give me some notes or info on either an MSc or MSci I would be very grateful! Thank you :^_^:

(in addition if this is in the wrong section go ahead and move it :colondollar:)
Reply 1
Aren't they the same thing? I thought some units just took it upon themselves to call them slightly differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe MScis are integrated masters, ie undergraduate degrees. You study for four years and get an MSci in the end. An MSc is a one/two-year postgraduate degree. An MSci is like a MBio (Master of Biology), MMath (Master of Mathematics), MChem (Master of Chemistry), MPhy (Master of Physics), etc. This is why an MSc can only be independently funded at the moment. If you read an MSci as a second undergraduate degree, I don't think you can take out student loans for it either.
In addition to the above, an MSc doesn't 'lead on to a PhD' directly, it's a stand-alone qualification in its own right. If you've only got a BSc it may help with a PhD application, as it demonstrates masters-level learning and research as a step-up from BSc, though an MSci would equally provide that background.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
I believe MScis are integrated masters, ie undergraduate degrees. You study for four years and get an MSci in the end. An MSc is a one/two-year postgraduate degree. An MSci is like a MBio (Master of Biology), MMath (Master of Mathematics), MChem (Master of Chemistry), MPhy (Master of Physics), etc. This is why an MSc can only be independently funded at the moment. If you read an MSci as a second undergraduate degree, I don't think you can take out student loans for it either.

Original post by Duncan2012
In addition to the above, an MSc doesn't 'lead on to a PhD' directly, it's a stand-alone qualification in its own right. If you've only got a BSc it may help with a PhD application, as it demonstrates masters-level learning and research as a step-up from BSc, though an MSci would equally provide that background.

Thank you for your replies! I'll do some digging around of my own but what Little Toy Gun writes makes sense on my own understanding of it. What Duncan2012 has said as well is interesting, I believed the MSc was what GCSEs is to A Level, like a prerequisite.

One last question! Am I right in thinking that you cannot do a Masters in anything you liked? As in, I could not waltz up to the University of York (for example) and say 'I have these qualifications in these subjects and this amount of experience, I would like to do a Masters in ______' and they would accommodate me. You have to do the Masters programmes that are available to you, much like an undergraduate degree?

Thank you again :h:
Original post by liomeeringca
One last question! Am I right in thinking that you cannot do a Masters in anything you liked? As in, I could not waltz up to the University of York (for example) and say 'I have these qualifications in these subjects and this amount of experience, I would like to do a Masters in ______' and they would accommodate me. You have to do the Masters programmes that are available to you, much like an undergraduate degree?

You can only do a masters in whatever a university offers, and not all universities offer every course. In taught courses, modules are usually offered in the most important areas. You have to do a project/dissertation which allows you to focus on an area of your own interests, providing the university is able to find someone to be a supervisor.

If you want to do something unique or very unusual you might need to fund yourself through a PhD, but you'll still need academic supervision from the university.
Reply 6
MSc/MSci are treated pretty equally for PhD applications. Typically at top programs you would need to have one or the other, unless your undergraduate degree was ridiculous (high 1st from Oxbridge, etc) in which case the Masters requirement might be waived.
Thank you for your replies! I'll do some digging around of my own but what Little Toy Gun writes makes sense on my own understanding of it. What Duncan2012 has said as well is interesting, I believed the MSc was what GCSEs is to A Level, like a prerequisite.

Having GCSEs is not the absolute, only pre-requisite to starting a-levels. You can go for equivalent qualifications instead.

The same for a doctorate, as long as they think you're good enough, you can potentially on to a doctoral course. It's not even an absolute must to have an undergraduate degree before a master's and/or a doctorate degree.

You need to be applying to a specific course with specific content and goals in the end, and the same applies to a doctoral course (though to a lesser extent).

Certainly for a taught course yes. And you may need to have an undergraduate degree in a related subject.
Original post by Duncan2012
You can only do a masters in whatever a university offers, and not all universities offer every course. In taught courses, modules are usually offered in the most important areas. You have to do a project/dissertation which allows you to focus on an area of your own interests, providing the university is able to find someone to be a supervisor.

If you want to do something unique or very unusual you might need to fund yourself through a PhD, but you'll still need academic supervision from the university.

Original post by Little Toy Gun
You need to be applying to a specific course with specific content and goals in the end, and the same applies to a doctoral course (though to a lesser extent).

Original post by jelly1000
Certainly for a taught course yes. And you may need to have an undergraduate degree in a related subject.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my posts again! I will consider the information you have all provided me, and realise some specific goals and specific plans. I'm not a very specific person so I hope I am somewhat successful. :ahhhhh:
Hope you all have a great rest of your day :smile:
Original post by jelly1000

Even for a research course, you cannot just do whatever you want. You need to be doing something an academic in the department/faculty/institute/school/academy/etc is somewhat interested in supervising. This is without mentioning that research masters probably have taught modules still.
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my posts again! I will consider the information you have all provided me, and realise some specific goals and specific plans. I'm not a very specific person so I hope I am somewhat successful. :ahhhhh:
Hope you all have a great rest of your day :smile:

It's a pleasure helping someone who's so polite and appreciative :smile: Doesn't happen very often on here. Good luck OP, I wish you well!
Hi everyone, happy Monday! :tee:

I have just completed my first year of a BSc course and I am toying with the idea of doing an MSci or an MSc. Who better to ask than the devotees of The Student Room? :biggrin:

I honestly don't know much about the difference between them aside from the MSc must be funded independently of the Student Finance system. And that an MSc leads on to a PhD? Um.

If any of the people who clicked this could give me some notes or info on either an MSc or MSci I would be very grateful! Thank you :^_^:

(in addition if this is in the wrong section go ahead and move it :colondollar:)

They are exactly the same thing.
the only difference Msci is taken from the start. I myself am starting biomedical science at UWE with an msci which means integrated masters.
I have just left sixth form so I am saying I will do the masters alongside my undergraduate if I get the grades to do this.
So if I get a 2:1 within the first 5 years I get to start the Msci programme at the same uni-the same course.
an msc is also a masters. But you go somewhere else to do it. Let’s days I did my biomedical science degree at Bristol then chose to do a masters with an msc you have to apply somewhere else let’s say I chose keele that would then be msc in biomed and my bsc at UWE.
I hope this has explained x
Original post by success4life
They are exactly the same thing.
the only difference Msci is taken from the start. I myself am starting biomedical science at UWE with an msci which means integrated masters.
I have just left sixth form so I am saying I will do the masters alongside my undergraduate if I get the grades to do this.
So if I get a 2:1 within the first 5 years I get to start the Msci programme at the same uni-the same course.
an msc is also a masters. But you go somewhere else to do it. Let’s days I did my biomedical science degree at Bristol then chose to do a masters with an msc you have to apply somewhere else let’s say I chose keele that would then be msc in biomed and my bsc at UWE.
I hope this has explained x

This thread's 6 years old.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
This thread's 6 years old.

Yeah thanks for that did not see it say that. It was just in my feed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending