The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KIDO123
Idk, loads of people who are now going to Cambridge for Economics at my school last year got rejected by Warwick for not having 8A*'s at GCSE.

They are weird about it. Also, looking at the two people on TSR who have offers so far, both have 8A*'s at GCSE.

What a load of bull****. Warwick give out loads of offers, they don't reject people for not having 8A*s at GCSE...
anyone applying to surrey for L100?
Reply 162
Lol if Warwick reject me for having 7A*s only then they must love the number 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163
Original post by BBeyond
What a load of bull****. Warwick give out loads of offers, they don't reject people for not having 8A*s at GCSE...

True tbh, according to whichuniversity they gave out offers to 60% of apps last year and I doubt that an 8A* cutoff was applied

Posted from TSR Mobile
Worried about not getting an offer atm because a few people have already got offers from Warwick and I sent my app quite early as well....:frown:
Original post by thesmallman
Worried about not getting an offer atm because a few people have already got offers from Warwick and I sent my app quite early as well....:frown:

When did you apply?

And well, at least it's all done and over with! I haven't even applied yet as my school is so slow with references etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icecreamcake
When did you apply?

And well, at least it's all done and over with! I haven't even applied yet as my school is so slow with references etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it was only like 5 days ago but u do start to get paranoid when u hear people getting offers like literally 4 hours after.

But I guess all I have to do is wait, I'm sure I'll get one offer at least (hopefully).

Are u going for Oxbridge? Deadline coming up soon :wink:
Well it was only like 5 days ago but u do start to get paranoid when u hear people getting offers like literally 4 hours after.

But I guess all I have to do is wait, I'm sure I'll get one offer at least (hopefully).

Are u going for Oxbridge? Deadline coming up soon :wink:

Yes I am - Cambridge :smile:

I've basically done all the UCAS stuff but I'm waiting for my school to get a move on...

I'm worried that by applying close to the Oxbridge deadline (considering that's how my school does it), there will be more apps which will make it more competitive to get an offer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icecreamcake
Yes I am - Cambridge :smile:

I've basically done all the UCAS stuff but I'm waiting for my school to get a move on...

I'm worried that by applying close to the Oxbridge deadline (considering that's how my school does it), there will be more apps which will make it more competitive to get an offer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm applying to Cambridge as well- which college? It's Queens' for me :smile:

Don't think that's an issue because Cambridge consider all applications before making an offer( I think at least...) So don't worry.

Trying to get some interview preparation going but don't know where to start.
Bearing in mind the fact that I have completed the rest of my application and my reference is being written this/next week. How bad is it that I haven't even started my personal statement yet?

It feels bad, it's just that I have some books to read in which I plan to find something of value to use in my PS and I won't find the time to read them until the October half term (2 week half term).
Well done!!- May I ask what ur grades are like and which other unis have u applied to?

I applied for Oxford E&M, UCL, LSE and Bath.

My grades were 8A*1A for IGCSEs

Forecast was not the greatest, 2A* 1A and 1C (Maths, Physics, Economics and FM)

So I was pretty shocked when I opened my mail and UCAS track told me one of the unis had made a decision within 8 hours and expected a rejection because of the C.
(edited 8 years ago)
Im thinking of economics at nottingham or birmingham

AS : economics A maths A chemistry B biology B

A2 : economics A* maths A chremistry A (predictions)

Do i have a fair chance
8 A*s at gcse 1 A 1B
(edited 8 years ago)
What is the job outlook for economics?
Original post by LearningGeek
What is the job outlook for economics?

Economics graduates are a bit less employable than most STEM degree graduates, and definitely a lot less employable than medicine graduates. A lot of economics graduates struggle to get a professional job within 6 months of graduating.

However, economcis graduates that graduated from a respected university (i.e. top 5 Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick) find it much easier to be employed.
W
Original post by hoping4Astars
Economics graduates are a bit less employable than most STEM degree graduates, and definitely a lot less employable than medicine graduates. A lot of economics graduates struggle to get a professional job within 6 months of graduating.

However, economcis graduates that graduated from a respected university (i.e. top 5 Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick) find it much easier to be employed.

Well this just confirms my worry cuz if i want to go to nottingham, my chances of getting employed arent as high
Other degree options for me are pharmacy or a gap year then medicine/dentistry

Are there any good degrees job wise that i seem to be missing out on
Reply 175
Original post by LearningGeek
Im thinking of economics at nottingham or birmingham

AS : economics A maths A chemistry B biology B

A2 : economics A* maths A chremistry A (predictions)

Do i have a fair chance
8 A*s at gcse 1 A 1B

What is your other subject?
Reply 176
Anyone know how LSE weight GCSEs, AS Levels, UMS, predictions and personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m.abdu98
Anyone know how LSE weight GCSEs, AS Levels, UMS, predictions and personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing it's something like the following:

1. AS results and UMS
2.GCSE results and personal statement
3. Predictions
4. Reference
Reply 178
I'm guessing it's something like the following:

1. AS results and UMS
2.GCSE results and personal statement
3. Predictions
4. Reference

I think personal statement is more important than AS results and UMS (as long as you have the right subjects and predicted grades that meet/exceed the standard offer).

I say this because my friend had amazing grades and was predicted 4 A*s (which he achieved) but he was rejected because of his personal statement. He went to Oxford instead.
Original post by h3110
I think personal statement is more important than AS results and UMS (as long as you have the right subjects and predicted grades that meet/exceed the standard offer).

I say this because my friend had amazing grades and was predicted 4 A*s (which he achieved) but he was rejected because of his personal statement. He went to Oxford instead.

Yeah you could be right, I've heard about how LSE pays a lot of attention to the personal statement when deciding who to give offers to...But I just can't really imagine it taking priority over academic achievement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending