The Student Room Group

Taking a postgraduate degree in the uk

Hello,

I'm actually taking a law degree (third year) in french university Panthéon Assas, and I want to take a postgraduate degree in the uk, but not specially in law, I prefer to take a master degree in an other fiel than law, for example in management or politics or philosophy
I have a average level in english and an average level in law, so I don't think that I can go fo Oxford or UCL
I just want to know what university can be fitted to my situation, and also If It's really hard for foreign student to understand the courses, to integrate ...

I thank you in advance
Reply 1
The current exchange rate is not in your favour. You will have to pay ~£6,000 fees and the same amount for housing (foreign students also have to pay all the rent upfront).
Reply 2
There is no scholarships available ?
What do you think I should do in this case ?
Reply 3
Original post by MDNA
There is no scholarships available ?
What do you think I should do in this case ?

There are *a few* scholarships, but they are not for "average" students.
Reply 4
I have 11 in a very hard university in France, but I dont know which university I can apply to ?
It's enough for Edinburg for example ?
Reply 5
Original post by MDNA
I have 11 in a very hard university in France, but I dont know which university I can apply to ?
It's enough for Edinburg for example ?

You should at least have a mention (12/20). I know that French academics mark harshly, but it will still disadvantage you when you apply because the translator will translate 11 to 3rd, the lowest distinction possible in the UK. I had 13.7 and it was marked 2:2 on my transcript; I think it's the main reason for which I didn't receive funding.
My advice is to do a M1, where it's easier to get good grades (16/20 is equivalent to a distinction) to compensate the "low grades" of your first degree, then apply to a Russell Group uni in the UK.

With a distinction you can also target Oxbridge. Look at the unis there (check their departments for each of them):
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/
It depends on how much are you willing/able to spend (London, Oxbridge, & Southern unis are located in more expensive areas), the degree content and cost (management is more expensive than philosophy), your personal interest and career plans, and funding options at each uni. You should shortlist and apply to 4-5 unis.
It's a very long process, make your choices carefully.

Don't forget to work on your recommendation letters by impressing your lecturers, don't hesitate to show off. They will be able to explain their marks.
Reply 6
It only depends on how much I'm able to spend ? With 11 I can go to oxford If I have enough money to pay the school ?
Reply 7
Original post by MDNA
It only depends on how much I'm able to spend ? With 11 I can go to oxford If I have enough money to pay the school ?

Not with 11, I said you need a master with distinction to compensate.
Reply 8
But they don't see my marks in the other years ? They're just gonna look at my grades in the master year ?
Reply 9
Original post by MDNA
But they don't see my marks in the other years ? They're just gonna look at my grades in the master year ?

They will see all your marks, but having good Masters grades will show your ability to study at postgraduate level.
Reply 10
How about if I have mention bien for my first year at Paris-Sorbonne (13,9) then I get 15-16/20 for the next two years. Could I be considered for entry?
Reply 11
How about if I had mention bien for my first year of Licence (13.9) then my second and third year I got 16/20, could I still be accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending