The Student Room Group

English Lit, English Lang, or combined?

See, I love reading, but it takes quite a while for me to actually get a kick out of a novel (play or poem), and because of that I'm not too sure if I'll be able to cope with having to extemporaneously write essays without having literally read the books. It's bound to happen, I did this through year eleven, so it's undisputedly going to happen again, considering I'll also be taking a few other rigorous A-Levels (which will in fact potentially cause me to feel stressed :O). That's English Lit for you. =P

English Language… meh. I'm not too sure, if I'm honest. I haven't looked at it in much depth, but you give me something to analyse and I'll do it in the twinkling of an eye. XD

And then there's combined, ugh.

Did you take any of these at A-Level? If so, did you enjoy it, and more importantly, did you get the grades you wanted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLadyInBlack
See, I love reading, but it takes quite a while for me to actually get a kick out of a novel (play or poem), and because of that I'm not too sure if I'll be able to cope with having to extemporaneously write essays without having literally read the books. It's bound to happen, I did this through year eleven, so it's undisputedly going to happen again, considering I'll also be taking a few other rigorous A-Levels (which will in fact potentially cause me to feel stressed :O). That's English Lit for you. =P

English Language… meh. I'm not too sure, if I'm honest. I haven't looked at it in much depth, but you give me something to analyse and I'll do it in the twinkling of an eye. XD

Did you take any of these at A-Level? If so, did you enjoy it, and more importantly, did you get the grades you wanted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took A level English Literature despite not loving books that I'm forced to read, however I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely choose it again if I had to start over. In all honesty, you can get away with not reading the text in full detail if you're confident in writing essays and at least know the plot/can memorise quotes from the text. It really isn't too bad at all. However, I genuinely loved some of the books I had to read and you may find the same happens to you. It is a very enjoyable A level and I didn't find it stressful at all, it was definitely the least work for me (I also did History, Biology and Chemistry) :smile:.

I'd definitely recommend it :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did both A level Lang andLit.

I loved Lang at AS but hated it at A2 and hated lit at AS but loved it at A2. I was better at Lang but preferred Lit in general.

Considering how the new A levels is, I doubt you'd scrape a C without looking and reading your set texts. I wouldn't dare entire a Shakespeare exam without reading the set text. If you like Lit, you should want to read texts and not skip them because you either can't be bothered or that your patience doesn't last long when reading a text. You won't love or connect with every text you read, but you should go through it and appreciate the literature you read.

Lang is the nuts and bolts of Language. As in why we say this, why do we turn take, how languages formed, why men and women speak differently. It's almost philosophical cause of the theoretical aspect of it. It's completely different to GCSE.

I don't know much on the combined. But I do know, the combined course teaches you breadth across English as a subject, whilst taking them separately teaches you depth for the subject.
Sorry for typos Cba to change them :tongue:
Original post by Changing Skies
I took A level English Literature despite not loving books that I'm forced to read, however I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely choose it again if I had to start over. In all honesty, you can get away with not reading the text in full detail if you're confident in writing essays and at least know the plot/can memorise quotes from the text. It really isn't too bad at all. However, I genuinely loved some of the books I had to read and you may find the same happens to you. It is a very enjoyable A level and I didn't find it stressful at all, it was definitely the least work for me (I also did History, Biology and Chemistry) :smile:.

I'd definitely recommend it :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh… You make it sound all too good! If I were to opt for Lit, would you mind sharing any notes you may have on it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I did both A level Lang andLit.

I loved Lang at AS but hated it at A2 and hated lit at AS but loved it at A2. I was better at Lang but preferred Lit in general.

Considering how the new A levels is, I doubt you'd scrape a C without looking and reading your set texts. I wouldn't dare entire a Shakespeare exam without reading the set text. If you like Lit, you should want to read texts and not skip them because you either can't be bothered or that your patience doesn't last long when reading a text. You won't love or connect with every text you read, but you should go through it and appreciate the literature you read.

Lang is the nuts and bolts of Language. As in why we say this, why do we turn take, how languages formed, why men and women speak differently. It's almost philosophical cause of the theoretical aspect of it. It's completely different to GCSE.

I don't know much on the combined. But I do know, the combined course teaches you breadth across English as a subject, whilst taking them separately teaches you depth for the subject.

“… either *you can't be bothered or that your patience doesn't last long when reading a text.” my patience is the issue >.< I'll work on it.

“… appreciate the literature you read.” I try to, but some of them just really aren't worth extolling, aha.

English Language at A-Level doesn't sound too bad actually. I'd quite like that. Thank you for the brief mention of that.

As far as the combined course is concerned, I had to do it this year as an AS, but it would be a 'stand-alone' course, and so I'd have to take the entire course separately from scratch. I hope that makes sense(?).

Thank you for the pointers. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Sorry for typos Cba to change them :tongue:

No worries. =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
“… either *you can't be bothered or that your patience doesn't last long when reading a text.” my patience is the issue >.< I'll work on it.

“… appreciate the literature you read.” I try to, but some of them just really aren't worth extolling, aha.

English Language at A-Level doesn't sound too bad actually. I'd quite like that. Thank you for the brief mention of that.

As far as the combined course is concerned, I had to do it this year as an AS, but it would be a 'stand-alone' course, and so I'd have to take the entire course separately from scratch. I hope that makes sense(?).

Thank you for the pointers. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I can completely understand. But resilience is key to reading. I've read books that I've forced myself to read from start to finish and still don't appreciate it fully. For instance, The Catcher in theRye.... Still don't understand the value of that novel being a modern classic!

Yeah I did enjoy Lang and did a Lang module at uni this year. So hard! I really loved Child Language Acquisition though, fascinating!

Try and read any books over the summer and then try to decide. Might make your decision a lot easier than trying to second guess. But I took both and it really complemented each other and it made me a stronger essay writer, more so because of the language A level!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending