The Student Room Group

Really sick of religious father forcing me to cover up in this heat

Scroll to see replies

tell your dad to shut up then
Reply 41
Original post by 80sUnderground
Anglo Saxon animals might. In most cultures around the world, even Greece, the daughter is the property of the parents until she is married off at about 23 (rarely any later)

"property" deary deary me and us Anglo Saxons are the animals 😂
Original post by 80sUnderground
Anglo Saxon animals might. In most cultures around the world, even Greece, the daughter is the property of the parents until she is married off at about 23 (rarely any later)

No-one is anyone else's property you misogynistic ********.
Original post by willock
Yeah I think you have modern day Britain mixed up with Britain in 1910. Out of respect for the person you are talking to you don't dictate to them what clothes they wear. I'm sure he doesn't stop his sons wearing shorts because they are male. Just discriminating against women. No offence to OP but this is Islam after all

It's a shame that girls don't respect themselves and their families enough to cover up their flesh and not dress in tight garments. It's not about dictating to a person what they should do just because they're your child, it's about advising and encouraging them to do the right thing and raising them on good values and principles of self respect. I don't approve of forcing people to act in a certain way, but I just wish girls would dress modestly out of their own will, because it's the right thing to do. Dressing in tight, revealing clothing conveys a very bad image and attracts the wrong type of attention from men. A girl should always aspire to guard her dignity, not because she's being forced to do so but because she wants to do so, because she respects herself enough to dress in the right way.
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
Turning twenty soon

Move out, or remove your chains once you're out of sight (take a bag with you).
Reply 45
I have no proper advice but I am sorry to hear that.

Hope things improve :h:
Reply 46
Original post by Liquid Harvest
No, she should dress in respectable clothing that isn't tight and that doesn't reveal too much flesh, out of respect for her own self and for other people.

What is respectable clothing?
Original post by arfah
Wow...I'm paki and my dad never says anything about what I wear. It's my mum if anything. Anyway I do get where you're coming from but your dad is deffo extreme. You need to have a talk with both your parents with no shouting.

Breaks my heart to see an asian use that word as if it's never done any damage.

As for OP be thankful that he hasn't gone to physical lengths.

Edit: Sh*t wait, no not thankful, totally the wrong word. Say more "be happy" that he hasn't done any damage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
It's a shame that girls don't respect themselves and their families enough to cover up their flesh and not dress in tight garments. It's not about dictating to a person what they should do just because they're your child, it's about advising and encouraging them to do the right thing and raising them on good values and principles of self respect. I don't approve of forcing people to act in a certain way, but I just wish girls would dress modestly out of their own will, because it's the right thing to do. Dressing in tight, revealing clothing conveys a very bad image and attracts the wrong type of attention from men. A girl should always aspire to guard her dignity, not because she's being forced to do so but because she wants to do so, because she respects herself enough to dress in the right way.

Ok I get your reasoning but what about men walking around topless and in shorts. Should they also cover up out of dignity? I'm just saying the world (well the western world) has moved on. Plus what is "the wrong attention from men" are women not allowed to be and feel physically attractive? If men cant control themselves they are the sick perverts with the problem and should be locked away for good. Sorry but in Britain we do not live the cover your body and dignity way any longer. We celebrate our bodies and we wont be dragged backwards by a certain group
At uni and I live there during term time. However my dad signs off the forms for student loans so I'm worried he won't do it if he thinks I'm being too rebellious or even out of anger/spite :s-smilie:

if your 18 cant you sign them yourself?

what did you wear today then? did you wear shorts or a short sleeved shirt?
Original post by Josb
What is respectable clothing?

Broadly speaking, it encompasses all garments that don't finely emphasise a woman's figure, especially her breasts, legs and bum. A woman shouldn't be wearing something that sticks very closely to her legs, thighs and bum (eg tights and jeggings), and she shouldn't wear something that clearly reveals her chest, cleavage, tummy, back, arms, thighs or legs. Revealing or tight clothing sends the wrong message because a woman will then be viewed in a sexual way and not as a self-respecting individual.
Reply 51
Broadly speaking, it encompasses all garments that don't finely emphasise a woman's figure, especially her breasts, legs and bum. A woman shouldn't be wearing something that sticks very closely to her legs, thighs and bum (eg tights and jeggings), and she shouldn't wear something that clearly reveals her chest, cleavage, tummy, back, arms, thighs or legs. Revealing or tight clothing sends the wrong message because a woman will then be viewed in a sexual way and not as a self-respecting individual.

So in boiling hot weather girls should walk around overheating and looking like walking bin bags? Again what about men? Why just women? This is blatant discrimination that belongs in the 1800s
Reply 52

So they shouldn't wear T-shirt and skirts?
Original post by bassbabe
Lol I wore shorts and a vest top today and walked past a woman in a burka, cant even imagine wearing that in this weather, ngl I felt like laughing though

Original post by Smilin’ Knight

what did you wear today then? did you wear shorts or a short sleeved shirt?

I'm a man, I don't reveal my body in public, I dress modestly. I'm not under the same social pressure that females are under to show off my body and dress revealingly. Today I wore smart trousers and a smart shirt with my sleeves rolled up to mid forearm, classic men's attire.
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
if your 18 cant you sign them yourself?

He fills in the info about his earnings I think, so I get a bit more than I would if I did it myself (which would be the minimum loan)
I'm a man, I don't reveal my body in public, I dress modestly. I'm not under the same social pressure that females are under to show off my body and dress revealingly. Today I wore smart trousers and a smart shirt with my sleeves rolled up to mid forearm, classic men's attire.

This sort of stuff happens nearly every time he catches me going out but today I was going out to run some errands wearing a baggy half sleeve t-shirt and some leggings underneath, completely covered apart from my arms and the top part of my neck/face with no cleavage/bum/legs on show (and all in black might I add so no eye catching colours)

so this is ok then? as this is exactly what you did. You were covered apart from your arms face and neck.

He fills in the info about his earnings I think, so I get a bit more than I would if I did it myself (which would be the minimum loan)

yeah but what i mean is, even if he does decide not to sign them any more your not left with NOTHING, just a bit less. which sucks, but you can still legally do it yourself (if its a big worry might want to research how just in case)
This sort of stuff happens nearly every time he catches me going out but today I was going out to run some errands wearing a baggy half sleeve t-shirt and some leggings underneath, completely covered apart from my arms and the top part of my neck/face with no cleavage/bum/legs on show (and all in black might I add so no eye catching colours)

My dad was at home and he asked me if I was going to go out dressed like that, I replied "yes, have you seen the weather" (it was 35 degrees in this area) and immediately he started screaming at me about how I'm so shameless going out looking like that, and he wanted me to get out of his home and that he doesn't know why I come here in the first place (I'm back from uni), and swearing at me in his language, not giving me a chance to speak. Every time I tried to justify myself he just COMPLETELY bulldozed through what I was saying.

In the end I ended up saying to him that if he wanted me to completely cover myself up in this weather (BEARING IN MIND that My clothes were already very covered) then he shouldn't have moved here from his home country (Pakistan) and that if it bothers him so much he is welcome to go back. He shouted at me saying that: " no why don't you (i.e. me) go back" (wtf that doesn't even make sense) and that I should take my mother with me (he treats her like ****) and how if he knew I'd grow up to be so shameless he would never have moved here in the first place blah blah blah.

I am so sick of it. His reasoning when he isn't screaming is that God says to cover up or that people will see and they'll talk badly, and every time I try to explain my views or counter his argument he switches his reasoning or tries to shut me up when he fails to find one. It leaves me feeling manipulated for one, because he constantly changes his reasoning according to his needs and I DESPISE this. Bear in mind that this is a man who has used violence in the past (towards us) during arguments and has commited number of other dubious acts and behaviours so he has NO leg to stand on when he bangs on about religious morals.

That was very long apologies, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

What should I do ?

Tl;dr title, and then some

wallahi your dad and my dad are twins
this is just
Original post by Josb
So they shouldn't wear T-shirt and skirts?

You've really put me on the spot. I'm not sure about this. Women's t-shirts are often quite tight around the bust so her breasts may become displayed prominently especially if she's blessed in that area. So they're best avoided. They should opt instead for things like blouses, cardigans etc. Girls shouldn't wear tiny skirts that show their thighs, I think knee-length skirts look respectable to an extent, but even those are probably best avoided.

You revealed your FOREARMS?!

DUDE ARE YOU ****ING CRAZY?!

That's not respectful in the slightest. By showing those forearms you're whoring out your own body to the wandering eyes of women everywhere, as if you were some piece of meat. Your mother, aunts and grandmother would be ashamed of you. You really ought to cover up for their sakes, never mind all of this heat.

How could you be so selfish and disrespectful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending