The Student Room Group

Whether or not to apply for an additional loan

Hi,

I'm due to begin a second degree in September. It's NHS funded with a small bursary. Apparently I am able to apply for an additional maintenance loan from Student Finance (despite what the site says, it seems some courses will allow additional loan applications with a first degree already). I can't decide if it's worth it or not, so I'm looking for some input.

I already have a fairly substantial student debt from my previous degree and postgraduate studies, so feel a bit dubious about adding to the pile.

I have some money in savings from working the past few years, and am going to stay on as 'bank' staff at my current job while not at university.

Is it worth applying for the loan, or would it be best to just use the grant combined with savings?
Original post by lledrith
Hi,

I'm due to begin a second degree in September. It's NHS funded with a small bursary. Apparently I am able to apply for an additional maintenance loan from Student Finance (despite what the site says, it seems some courses will allow additional loan applications with a first degree already). I can't decide if it's worth it or not, so I'm looking for some input.

I already have a fairly substantial student debt from my previous degree and postgraduate studies, so feel a bit dubious about adding to the pile.

I have some money in savings from working the past few years, and am going to stay on as 'bank' staff at my current job while not at university.

Is it worth applying for the loan, or would it be best to just use the grant combined with savings?

i m taking the loan for my second degree in nursing (well i ve 2 years of previous study) as basically i would rather get into a little more debt than have to work 8+ (to make up for those i can't do in placement) hours a week to make up the short fall in income, my degree and doing well in it, i would love to get a 1st and being dyslexic/dyspraxic i know this wont happen if i decide to work much whilst doing the course.
So anyway, its up to you personally i d rather take the extra debt up than the stress of having to work around a placement and a 5 day a week course.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
i m taking the loan for my second degree in nursing (well i ve 2 years of previous study) as basically i would rather get into a little more debt than have to work 8+ (to make up for those i can't do in placement) hours a week to make up the short fall in income, my degree and doing well in it, i would love to get a 1st and being dyslexic/dyspraxic i know this wont happen if i decide to work much whilst doing the course.
So anyway, its up to you personally i d rather take the extra debt up than the stress of having to work around a placement and a 5 day a week course.

Thanks for your reply, this has given me a little more to think about.

I'm going to start the application and just see where it takes me, I think. It makes sense to want to be able to have time to work well at university as opposed to stressing about bills/shifts.
Original post by lledrith
Thanks for your reply, this has given me a little more to think about.

I'm going to start the application and just see where it takes me, I think. It makes sense to want to be able to have time to work well at university as opposed to stressing about bills/shifts.

there's no harm in taking it out, seeing how you go and then not taking the further instalments if you feel you d rather go without it:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending