The Student Room Group

UCAS Application - How many subject can I include in my application form?

Hello everyone,

I'm new in the Student Room and, btw, I'm studying 6 subjects in AS levels (including EPQ). I've already sat one A2 exam (Spanish) and I'm expecting an A*. However, the course that I'm willing to do at uni (Economics) is not related to Spanish and I'm concerned with whether this could affect my application or not.

The thing is that I've already read in many of the university websites that the unconditional/standard offers will be given to students who will probably achieve the entry requirements. Given that most of the students only include three predicted grades (e.g. A*AA/AAB) and I'll probably have four subjects' grades related to the course that I'm doing (except for Spanish), should I include my three best grades (including Spanish) or the three most relevant ones (excluding Spanish)?
On UCAS, you include all subjects.

If you have completed 6 AS subjects, you would include all 6 grades. You also include all GCSE grades.

As for the top 3, a lot of universities only look at your best 3, however, you still include all 6 on your UCAS application.

As for the unconditional thing, only some universities give out unconditional offers before having A2 results. I got 2 unconditional offers from Birmingham and Keele before finishing A2. Both of these have "unconditional offer schemes in place". It would be unlikely to get an unconditional offer from a university that does not participate in these schemes.
Reply 2
Original post by Yellow636
On UCAS, you include all subjects.

If you have completed 6 AS subjects, you would include all 6 grades. You also include all GCSE grades.

As for the top 3, a lot of universities only look at your best 3, however, you still include all 6 on your UCAS application.

As for the unconditional thing, only some universities give out unconditional offers before having A2 results. I got 2 unconditional offers from Birmingham and Keele before finishing A2. Both of these have "unconditional offer schemes in place". It would be unlikely to get an unconditional offer from a university that does not participate in these schemes.

Nevertheless, I am a Spanish native speaker (my mother is Spanish) and this could make my application form less engaging for the people looking at it. Obviously, this is an extra A-level course and this will give me credit for the future application but given that this is an innate skill that an applicant has, it could diminish the chances of being chosen as this subject is relatively straightforward for a near-native speaker. Furthermore, if, generally, universities only look at my best 3 grades (being Spanish one of them), they could misconceive the importance of my fourth subject as my best grade will be in a language that I totally understand.
Original post by levislim
Nevertheless, I am a Spanish native speaker (my mother is Spanish) and this could make my application form less engaging for the people looking at it. Obviously, this is an extra A-level course and this will give me credit for the future application but given that this is an innate skill that an applicant has, it could diminish the chances of being chosen as this subject is relatively straightforward for a near-native speaker. Furthermore, if, generally, universities only look at my best 3 grades (being Spanish one of them), they could misconceive the importance of my fourth subject as my best grade will be in a language that I totally understand.

In that case they will simply ignore your Spanish A-level and look at your other qualifications. As above, you put down all your subjects.
Reply 4

You include all grades.
Im confused now lol.

You have just completed AS right? and are applying via UCAS?
I think you are over thinking things.
You have to include all qualifications taken - your application may be declined otherwise.
As long as you take any required subjects needed for your course, the university are likely to give you their standard offer which is on their website e.g. AAB.
Not all universities require a certain grade in a particular subject, so if this is the case for the ones you apply for, you can achieve the offer in any three of the subjects you take.
Reply 7
Im confused now lol.

You have just completed AS right? and are applying via UCAS?

I've just completed my AS exams but I've also done A2 Spanish
I've just completed my AS exams but I've also done A2 Spanish

Okay

You will include all of your AS grades.
You will also include your A2 Spanish grade.

You will then also put the other subjects you are taking forward to A2, as an A2 with the grade as "pending".

E.g:

A2 qualifications
Spanish A*
English Pending
Business Pending
ICT Pending

AS Qualifications
English A
Business A
ICT A
EPQ A*

So yes, you do include all qualifications.
Reply 9
Okay

You will include all of your AS grades.
You will also include your A2 Spanish grade.

You will then also put the other subjects you are taking forward to A2, as an A2 with the grade as "pending".

E.g:

A2 qualifications
Spanish A*
English Pending
Business Pending
ICT Pending

AS Qualifications
English A
Business A
ICT A
EPQ A*

So yes, you do include all qualifications.

Is EPQ considered as a subject in the UCAS application? I've already been given the grade and it's an A*.
Did you take EPQ during GCSE?

I am not sure, as I took EPQ during A2, so it was not on my qualifications list.

Also, unless you took EPQ at GCSE, you do not have your grade, as it can be changed during moderation?
Reply 11
Did you take EPQ during GCSE?

I am not sure, as I took EPQ during A2, so it was not on my qualifications list.

Also, unless you took EPQ at GCSE, you do not have your grade, as it can be changed during moderation?

I've done EPQ during AS and my supervisors have told me that I have an A* in it. This grade won't be changed under any circumstances because they're completely responsible for evaluating and grading my work.
Yeah I did mine during A2, and was told it to be A*.

However, they did warn that the exam board will take a sample, and if they feel it is below the standard that the supervisor has put it at, it can be lowered.

I am sure it will not though :smile:

Out of interest, where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 13
Yeah I did mine during A2, and was told it to be A*.

However, they did warn that the exam board will take a sample, and if they feel it is below the standard that the supervisor has put it at, it can be lowered.

I am sure it will not though :smile:

Out of interest, where are you thinking of applying?

The examination board have take 12 samples out of 32 and, for some reason, I was not been chosen. I'm looking forward to applying for different universities across the United Kingdom (Bath is my favourite though). However, it all depends on the final grades and I won't know them until mid-August.
I'm expecting A's and B's for many of my subjects in AS but I'm wondering whether universities will account for my international profile as this is my first year living in the UK (I've been living in Spain for 16 years) and probably universities will offset my grades in A-levels against my English level as it was quite tough to take 5 subjects given that English is not my mother tongue.
The examination board have take 12 samples out of 32 and, for some reason, I was not been chosen. I'm looking forward to applying for different universities across the United Kingdom (Bath is my favourite though). However, it all depends on the final grades and I won't know them until mid-August.
I'm expecting A's and B's for many of my subjects in AS but I'm wondering whether universities will account for my international profile as this is my first year living in the UK (I've been living in Spain for 16 years) and probably universities will offset my grades in A-levels against my English level as it was quite tough to take 5 subjects given that English is not my mother tongue.

32 people took EPQ? oh okay lol.

In my school 6 people took it, so all 6 were sent :smile:.

Good luck in your future application, hope I have answered your question by now lol.
ALL certified qualifications must be listed on your application. It's then up to the universities you've applied to whether they want to take completed or non-relevant subjects into account.

If you got an AS certified result for Spanish as well as an A level certified result then you list BOTH.

If your EPQ has been certified (which it probably wont be until August when you get the official moderated results) then you include that too.

If your AS results are certified in August (ie if your results slip has an AS grade on it and not just module results) then you include those too.

When you submit your application you have to agree with a declaration statement that states you have included ALL qualifications (including those you may have failed). Don't withhold information from your universities about your qualifications - you could invalidate your entire application.
for your personal statement do you have to write 4000 words or can it be shorter?
It can be as short as you want.

But if its too short, you may give off an impression that you do not have any good features. However, including things just for word count is not a healthy approach either lol.
Original post by pascal122
for your personal statement do you have to write 4000 words or can it be shorter?

4000 CHARACTERS or 47 lines (including blank lines) whichever is SHORTER.

Aim for about 3,400-3,600 characters to fit comfortably on the application with proper paragraphs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending