The Student Room Group

how did you pick your uni?

There are so many for so many subjects, how has everyone here decided which uni(s) they're applying for?

I mostly went off open days, but I didn't even know all the unis were on student room.
Reply 1
Hello I am an American student wanting to transfer to a UK university. My course of study is accounting and finance and my gpa is 2.5. So I have a chance of getting accepted to Kingston university. Second year transfer if not first year is fine as well
Currently in first year at University of Liverpool, I remember picking my universities based on the course and the location of the university itself.
I decided Liverpool because of its musical history and the fact that the place is incredibly beautiful to live in. the only downside is that my accommodation in first year was a disaster as I ended up living with a few people I had nothing in common with
Reply 3
Hello I am an American student wanting to transfer to a UK university. My course of study is accounting and finance and my gpa is 2.5. So I have a chance of getting accepted to Kingston university. Second year transfer if not first year is fine as well

tossed a coin :P
Original post by maryamzahid
Currently in first year at University of Liverpool, I remember picking my universities based on the course and the location of the university itself.
I decided Liverpool because of its musical history and the fact that the place is incredibly beautiful to live in. the only downside is that my accommodation in first year was a disaster as I ended up living with a few people I had nothing in common with

we meet again :P

..but why didn't you at least try to see things from their point of view? everyone is shy at first, so attempting to see what drives them/what they like to do, would've gotten you far, wouldn't it..? and you might've gotten a new hobby, you never know :biggrin:

(btw, i'm not trying to condemn here, i'm just looking for your reason as to why you didn't do anything like what i suggested :biggrin: )
By fame.
my school organised a trip to a UCAS fair so i got 3 bags of prospectuses and went through them all, slowly making the pile of the shortlisted ones i liked the most and overtime it just grew on me

i strongly advise anyone applying to uni to attend a UCAS fair if you can, there's so much info you can gain from it and you get free prospectuses/other freebies :smile:
Open days were best for me, it doesn't only help you with learning more about the course and uni but you also get a feel for it. Places that looked great on paper gave me a bad vibe sometimes in person.

I do regret not going to a UCAS fair though, I did all my research online and it was a bit of a pain since you can miss stuff so easily looking that way.
Original post by theDanIdentity
we meet again :P
..but why didn't you at least try to see things from their point of view? everyone is shy at first, so attempting to see what drives them/what they like to do, would've gotten you far, wouldn't it..? and you might've gotten a new hobby, you never know :biggrin:
(btw, i'm not trying to condemn here, i'm just looking for your reason as to why you didn't do anything like what i suggested :biggrin: )

haha and well yes, we all got along until I realised they weren't nice people. we clashed a lot and they would just cause the whole atmosphere to become icy.
I gave them a chance and its their fault they didn't take it.
I picked my uni based on its overall league ranking and prestige, plus its offers were extremely low for people with my L3 qualification so it placed less stress on me. I hardly researched my university and I rushed into it. I would not recommend.
Oxford (first degree): I think it's the most beautiful place in the UK and I didn't think I could get a better education anywhere else.. the former is still true as far as I'm concerned; the latter I'm a bit more ambivalent about.

Sheffield (second degree): I was applying to do Medicine as a student with an arts background, so I was more limited in the places I could choose. Sheffield was the place I liked best by far, and the place I already had the most ties to.

Edited to add: I'd only visited Oxford once before my interviews there (and not for an open day - for a school trip to the Ashmolean), and had only been to Sheffield a few times (again, never for an open day).
(edited 8 years ago)
UCAS search tool and whatuni search tool to get a rough list. Most universities had to fulfill four requirements for me
- did my course
- not what I would consider "up north" (this is most of the midlands and further north discounted)
- asked for AAB or lower
- campus uni

Then I just looked at their websites and managed to get a handful from that easily.

(I went to open days, but this was long after I'd applied for two of them. Looking back, I barely researched at all, and it was mostly luck that put me with a course and uni I liked)
(edited 8 years ago)
Said the alphabet in my head, got someone to say 'stop'. Chose a letter, picked the nearest uni with that letter from my hometown, ordered a prospectus and flicked through it like a pack of cards, closed my eyes and stopped at a random page. Applied to that one.

Not really though.
Reply 14
Original post by pauly9090
There are so many for so many subjects, how has everyone here decided which uni(s) they're applying for?

I mostly went off open days, but I didn't even know all the unis were on student room.

Open days are good because you get loads of good insight from students who are actually studying the course. After going on a couple I just looked online for student opinions and eventually came across this website - it's just got a load of student reviews about unis, halls, courses etc... Hope this helps!
Went to the open day, fell in love, refused to go anywhere else. It was perfect :smile:

Luckily I got in :colondollar:
It picked me.

(oh and mum works there. cheers, mum :yy: lol)
just kidding, she didn't help me get in but that encouraged me at 1st.
cuz I wasn't sure I wanted to go, I wanted a gap yr but something came up; I thought I knew what I wanted to do as well and I went with Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending