The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

TU100 My Digital Life Computing & IT October Start

Hi All,

I've just signed up and am wondering if anyone else is starting this course in October?

Cheers,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

I'll be studying TU100 as part of Computing & IT and Mathematics this October, in addition to MST124 and MST125.

Good luck with your studies.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hello!

I'm still unsure as to whether to start this October or take a later start in February (only just graduated from Maths and Physics so some time off might be nice) but hopefully I will get round to starting Computing & IT at some point in the next year!
Reply 3
Brilliant! Well we may be given the same tutor. Are you looking forward to it?

I have been considering it for over a year now, but felt that now the time was right to take the jump.

MST 124 and 125 are the first two Essentials of Mathematics ones iirc? I will be starting the first oen of them in Jan for the February enrolment. To work on along side TU100.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 4
Original post by zuniva
Hello!

I'm still unsure as to whether to start this October or take a later start in February (only just graduated from Maths and Physics so some time off might be nice) but hopefully I will get round to starting Computing & IT at some point in the next year!

Hi zuniva,

Some time off can be useful. I do work a lot so the time consideration was the main issue for me. But I will just have to cut it back to 40 hours and get my studying in around lifes other commitments.

Did you od Maths and Physics with the OU?
Reply 5
Original post by Hill.IT
Hi zuniva,

Some time off can be useful. I do work a lot so the time consideration was the main issue for me. But I will just have to cut it back to 40 hours and get my studying in around lifes other commitments.

Did you od Maths and Physics with the OU?

I did maths & physics at Warwick, I messed up a bit though and got a 2.2 (was going well until I sat the maths exams at the end of 3rd year).

Have you studied at a uni before?

I don't suppose you know if it is possible to vary the workload every year? (as in do something like 90 credits in one year then 60 in the next) Having already studied most of the Essential Mathematics module I'm tempted to try and speed up the process a bit more
Reply 6
Original post by zuniva
I did maths & physics at Warwick, I messed up a bit though and got a 2.2 (was going well until I sat the maths exams at the end of 3rd year).

Have you studied at a uni before?

I don't suppose you know if it is possible to vary the workload every year? (as in do something like 90 credits in one year then 60 in the next) Having already studied most of the Essential Mathematics module I'm tempted to try and speed up the process a bit more

I haven't no, but I have self studied a lot of other IT courses. ComPTIA, Microsoft, Cisco and VMware (Although I have not sat exams for Cisco or VMWare courses as my employer wont pay for anything).

So I have decided to go down the Open University route. I had a meeting at my nearest City Library on one of the Open Uni Meeting days. I did also ask about progression. They said you can sign up for any modules you liek for any given start dates. For example I could start this TU100 module now, then start one of the next modules in the February enrolment and then if I find the workload easy enough start the next 30 credit module in the mid year enrolment and do what would be 2 years work, if done separately in around 18 months. So you can essentially start any module at any enrolment time as long as you can manage the workload.

I hope that makes sense. I am a Data Analyst and System Administrator so am hoping that my last 2+ years experience working in the It industry gives me a help hand with the TU100 and other starter modules, although I think the Level 2 and3 stuff will be a different ball game.

I am now looking forward to getting my course material though. I expect I will do as you are thinking and start another 30 credit module in the next enrolment and try to do 90 credits within the next year.
Reply 7
Qq
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I'll be starting TU100 my digital life in october too. Hope it all goes well! Hope all goes well with you all too. If anyone needs a study buddy then hit me on skype "joeybamboo"! Kinda excited and nervous to start! Cant wait! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Batirtze
Hey everyone!

I'll also be studying TU100 and TM129 starting in October. I've already done MU123 and I'm honestly dreading doing these two modules at the same time!

Good luck guys!

Hi! I'm starting both those modules in October too! Also can't decide whether to take MU123 at the same time or start in February. How was MU123?
Reply 10
Hi fellow OUers,

I'm starting My Digital Life module in October as part of a planned six-year Computing & IT degree. I'm also actively looking for full-time work and may have found something, so I could be in for some intense work and study...hope I can cope, though I think Stage 1 shouldn't be overly challenging.

I can't wait to see the course materials including any videos, books etc.—I hear they're really impressive across the OU courses.

I have a few concerns (nerves, I suppose): I have always had dreams/aspirations of doing something in the arts, and I hope I still get time to devote to my creative side. Not that there's no creativity at all involved in IT, of course, but from the CompTIA A+ study I've done there is a lot of memorising facts and procedures and interfaces and so on, which can take up a lot of time. My other concern is whether I can be consistent enough in my working habits to get the best grades. As I've grown more mature since first attending University, and have far fewer distractions, this may not be too much of a problem, but the proof will be in the pudding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am :smile:
Hi

sorry i have just posted a similar thread.

I will be starting this in October too.
Reply 13
How did people find the student finance application process? I thought the Student Finance England website was very good, and the people answering their phones were mostly excellent too. The forms were straightforward too.

BUT...it took much longer than I expected between sending everything off and getting it approved, and the website wasn't useful for reassuring me on that front. I got at least two grave-sounding reminders from the OU even though I'd already confirmed on the phone with SFE that they'd received all my forms and evidence. Only in the last few days, SFE has finally showed "Payments Scheduled", which is a huge relief.
Reply 14
Original post by joeybamboo
Hey guys, I'll be starting TU100 my digital life in october too. Hope it all goes well! Hope all goes well with you all too. If anyone needs a study buddy then hit me on skype "joeybamboo"! Kinda excited and nervous to start! Cant wait! :biggrin:

Likewise, if anyone wants to chat on Skype, my ID is richard.brockbank . And for social networking, I'd really recommend Google Plus. The interface is streets ahead of Facebook, there are some brilliant communities (including Computer Science, naturally), and there are far fewer spammy viral videos and other rubbish flying about. I believe there'll also be ways to study together and support each other using the OU website.
Hi all

I also will be starting TU100 this October as part of my Computing & IT degree.

Reading an old post on the forum about this course has severely worried me! Everyone is saying its too difficult and work load is high. I currently work 50 hours a week and really want to succeed!

Don't get me wrong, I was not expecting this to be easy, I just really hope I can do this.
Reply 16
Original post by Ilikepocky
Hi all

I also will be starting TU100 this October as part of my Computing & IT degree.

Reading an old post on the forum about this course has severely worried me! Everyone is saying its too difficult and work load is high. I currently work 50 hours a week and really want to succeed!

Don't get me wrong, I was not expecting this to be easy, I just really hope I can do this.

50 hours a week is a LOT of work (as if you didn't already know). If there's travelling on top of that...well, it must take something out of you. If I were you I'd seriously see if I could reduce your hours a bit, as the OU expects about 16-18 hours study work per week at a rate of 60 credits per year. Everyone needs time to relax and wind down.
Thank you. It is... I just really want to nail this in 6 years. 6 years even seems soo long to me.

I've been studying computing from some educational books I purchased, and honestly I'm struggling with the maths!
Reply 18
I actually meant reduce your working hours :smile: . Quadratic equations can seem daunting if you haven't done them for years, but they're really quite straightforward. A big part of it can be confidence. I would get a good maths textbook and spend some time going through the relevant chapters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your help :smile:

I actually cracked that sum about 5 minutes after posting (after looking blankly at the page for the past week)

You must be my lucky charm haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest