The Student Room Group

What are the nicest and worst University cities?

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone give me any insight to Herfordshire, Hatfield?
This is my firm choice and would like to know what the area is like.
Original post by 0to100
:rofl: seaside cities are deprived so you might be right

tell me about it !
Original post by Marisa1994

@ChickenMadness

Original post by 408655
tell me about it !

yea heard of hastings, clayton on sea? great yarmouth lol jaywick in essex...met ppl at hostels from there, shame

i hear brighton is grim though dunno for sure, never been just know it's seaside so probably skint/no jobs :\

you'd think coastal cities would be best off because of docks and ports but no a lot are not, a neglected people

i'm going on my benefits tirade, forgive me hehe
Original post by Marisa1994

The town is dead lol. Literally nothing to do in the town at all apart from host your own parties and stuff like that. I just rollerblade around the place for fun. It's close to London so if you like London you can wander about there.

The uni campuses are alright though. The universities night club 'forum' is the only one in the town. Theres two more that you need to get a bus for 'batchwood' and 'oceana'.
The Vice Chancellor of Cambridge is a bald-headed imbecile who treated me like ****. Cambridge is better off without him. If you want to avoid intimidation and data rape, study elsewhere until he leaves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 185
To me, St Andrews in Scotland is the nicest University City (actually it's a town) on the east coast of Scotland, in Fife.
I havent really been to many so cant say worst.

Bristol & Bath though <3
Why has no one mentioned Chester? I'm an international student who has been admitted to Chester Uni.
What say ye about the place?
Original post by nanalfc7
Why has no one mentioned Chester? I'm an international student who has been admitted to Chester Uni.
What say ye about the place?

I'm a second year at Chester. It's a small historical city (so easy to walk everywhere and no need to rely on public transport) but still has a big city centre full of shops and restaurants etc. and a retail park near the main campus with several supermarkets. It's also very cheap to live here. Night life is limited but still enough considering the uni is on the smaller side anyway. All in all it's a great uni :smile:
Reply 189
The worst one now in Metropolitan London University it's getting from bad to worst.
Original post by 0to100
yea heard of hastings, clayton on sea? great yarmouth lol jaywick in essex...met ppl at hostels from there, shame

i hear brighton is grim though dunno for sure, never been just know it's seaside so probably skint/no jobs :\

you'd think coastal cities would be best off because of docks and ports but no a lot are not, a neglected people

i'm going on my benefits tirade, forgive me hehe

Yes, Brighton is pretty grim

Very working class sort of city too

Fcking hate this place
Reply 191
Any opinions on Glasgow, Huddersfield and Liverpool? My other choices are London and Manchester and I really liked them when I visited. I'm more of a big city person so I have some doubts about Huddersfield.
Reply 192
Original post by kendall1
I'm a second year at Chester. It's a small historical city (so easy to walk everywhere and no need to rely on public transport) but still has a big city centre full of shops and restaurants etc. and a retail park near the main campus with several supermarkets. It's also very cheap to live here. Night life is limited but still enough considering the uni is on the smaller side anyway. All in all it's a great uni :smile:

That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Hereford over the other places I've applied to, since the city centre has everything I need and both Hereford College of Arts and the halls are within walking distance of the centre. I likely wouldn't go out to clubs and stuff anyway so that aspect doesn't bother me, and it's still close enough to home that I could pop back for a weekend occasionally.

I've just had a look at Chester, and it looks like a lovely place to be, at least from what I can see on Google Images.
Original post by danskr
Any opinions on Glasgow, Huddersfield and Liverpool? My other choices are London and Manchester and I really liked them when I visited. I'm more of a big city person so I have some doubts about Huddersfield.

Glasgow is a lovely place, especially by the Uni in the west end. I would love to study there.
Sorry to jump this thread but where are the quietest and rural places, in England and Wales?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XmollyX
I'd say just make sure you visit the places you are thinking about then. :biggrin: I can't speak for Cardiff as I've never been there, but Newcastle and Manchester are VERY different cities. Where Newcastle is really conveniently compact, Manchester is really spread out, its a bit of a pain to get anywhere tbh, you can't just walk everywhere like you can in Newcastle as there are so many different places (Centre, Northern Quarter, Deansgate etc) haha :colondollar:

Eh Manchester isn't that bad tbh although I'm a little biased lol... I agree it's stupidly spread out but if you get a tram pass you should be ok... places like the northern quarter and China town have really cute independent shops if you know where to look, and the architecture round the town hall is beautiful (MASSIVE LIBRARIES)! And the nightlife is great, you just need to find the right place!
Best:
Edinburgh
Oxford (fell in love with that city)
Durham
Cambridge
Guildford (I go to the University of Surrey and it is actually a lovely town- small, pretty and very posh).

Worst:
Glasgow (gorgeous campus but I felt like I was going to be mugged in the city)
London (London scares me)
Exeter (loved the uni, but turned down my offer because I hate Exeter with a passion)
Coventry (poor Warwick people)
Original post by Fannibal
Getting worried! :eek: Sheffield has been bottom twice and I don't know why?! I'm seriously considering it as my top choice, the course is brilliant and it's supposed to be relatively safe for a city. What made you put it worst? :curious: I've been for an open day and it seemed pretty nice, quite easy to walk around, I imagine not too safe at night but as long as I'm careful that won't be a problem.

Sheffield is okay. It's really easy to walk around as it's all so close together. It's on the edge of the peak district, so good for day trips and great if you're into sports. It's really rather cheap. It feels safe, even at night, in my opinion. The Students Union is excellent. Downside is that the city centre is absolutely terrible for shopping and in terms of atmosphere it seems very boring.
Original post by Phan66
In my opinion, the best would be:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Durham

Worst:

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield

I am kind of biased towards the oldern - style cities though :P

Sheffield is lovely. Manchester might not be the prettiest but its no where near the worst. Welsh unis like Bangor and Glyndwr are pretty drab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending