The Student Room Group

MRC Clinical science centre London, confirmed placement ( UROP )

Hi all,

I have been offered to work in one of the labs as part of the MRC CSC summer placement scheme in London.

I have recently just finished a placement year and also a short placement in my university and now I have been offered this to finish off the summer.

I was just wondering if anyone has done a placement at the CSC and could let me now what to expect from it. :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi, I am currently in the process of applying for this internship for this summer. I am struggling on what to write for the personal statement and was hoping you could give me some tips as you had been successful. Also if you could give me an insight on how you found the placement that would be great. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about your personal statement, just make sure it flows and has all your experiences within it.
The important section is the bottom part of the application whereby you choose your preference of research area. I would suggest looking at the supervisors and cater your letter towards one of them in particular.
I basically highlighted my placements and experiences and how I could contribute to the lab. However it is very difficult to know exactly what they want, I think I was just lucky to get it. ha
I went with metabolism and cell growth group and catered it towards diabetes and cancer. I ended up working on a Drosophila cancer model investigating obesity and tumours etc. ( Lots of fly genetics )

They use this number system to filter people out, so ensure you put the correct areas that correlate.
I chose, Cancer, Biochemistry and metabolism as top 3 and got my supervisor.

The overall experience was fantastic, my supervisor was so nice and helped where he could. You are encouraged to get involved in student activities such as seminars from guest speakers, present your findings to the group etc .

Living in London was also cool, it gives you a taste of London life prior to commiting to something like a masters or PhD.
Is there any thing in particular you want to know ?
I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much! :smile:
Did they help you find accomodation or did you have to do it yourself? Also was it paid?
I have PM'd you with a bit of my personal statement so far, if you could have a look at it when you get time. Much appreciated thankssss :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending