The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Medicine @UCLAN

I'm a prospective student thinking to apply to UCLAN as an international student. My IB predicted grade is 42/45 and I'm taking the UCAT in august. I'd love to know your genuine opinion on UCLAN regarding both social and intellectual factors. Also, what are the entry requirements - the website isn't very helpful, and is it relatively easy to get into? Also what's your average week studying medicine and do you get early patient contact? Most importantly would you recommend applying?
Original post by wafiya1740
I'm a prospective student thinking to apply to UCLAN as an international student. My IB predicted grade is 42/45 and I'm taking the UCAT in august. I'd love to know your genuine opinion on UCLAN regarding both social and intellectual factors. Also, what are the entry requirements - the website isn't very helpful, and is it relatively easy to get into? Also what's your average week studying medicine and do you get early patient contact? Most importantly would you recommend applying?

Hi there!
I'm one of the 4th Year MBBS students at UCLan so hopefully I can help you a little!

UCLan is really well situated in Preston, you can get to London / Edinburgh in just over 2 hours meaning its great for exploring new places! Preston itself has loads of great independent places to eat and drink so there is always somewhere new to try! Some of my favourite coffee shops for brunch are only a 2 minute walk away from the centre of campus! There's a few different parks and places to explore around campus, these are great for a picnic in the sun!

When it comes to the academic side of studying medicine at UCLan, it can be tough but it is definitely worth it in the end! Medicine at UCLan is currently split into 2 phases - Phase 1 (years 1 and 2) which is your pre-clinical phase and Phase 2 (years 3,4 and 5) which is your clinical phase. In pre-clinical a lot of your week is spent learning the theory side of medicine, learning examination skills and attending workshops. You also get early patient contact right from Year 1 where you will have a couple of weeks of placement.

I have loved my time so far at UCLan, I have made some amazing friends and learnt a lot! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll get back to you! I have also linked the entry requirements here for you!

Hope this helps!
Rebecca :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi there!
I'm one of the 4th Year MBBS students at UCLan so hopefully I can help you a little!

UCLan is really well situated in Preston, you can get to London / Edinburgh in just over 2 hours meaning its great for exploring new places! Preston itself has loads of great independent places to eat and drink so there is always somewhere new to try! Some of my favourite coffee shops for brunch are only a 2 minute walk away from the centre of campus! There's a few different parks and places to explore around campus, these are great for a picnic in the sun!

When it comes to the academic side of studying medicine at UCLan, it can be tough but it is definitely worth it in the end! Medicine at UCLan is currently split into 2 phases - Phase 1 (years 1 and 2) which is your pre-clinical phase and Phase 2 (years 3,4 and 5) which is your clinical phase. In pre-clinical a lot of your week is spent learning the theory side of medicine, learning examination skills and attending workshops. You also get early patient contact right from Year 1 where you will have a couple of weeks of placement.

I have loved my time so far at UCLan, I have made some amazing friends and learnt a lot! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll get back to you! I have also linked the entry requirements here for you!

Hope this helps!
Rebecca :smile:

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the information--very helpful. For phase 2, where are the placements?

Thanks
Reply 3
Hi, very helpful Rebecca, really appreciate the effort. I was wondering about the entry requirements - there's not much online.
Original post by wafiya1740
Hi, very helpful Rebecca, really appreciate the effort. I was wondering about the entry requirements - there's not much online.

Hi there @wafiya1740,

Our MBBS Medicine & Surgery course does have the following entry requirements:
- 144 UCAS Tariff points which are calculated from your qualification grades
- Evidence of sustained academic achievement with a broad study of Science, English and Maths up to 16.

You can learn of the specific entry requirements for your country here.

If you would like to discuss entry requirements with our admissions team you can contact them at [email protected].

All the best,
Sarah
Original post by Jordanja
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the information--very helpful. For phase 2, where are the placements?

Thanks

Hi there @Jordanja, :smile:

For years 3,4 and 5 there will be a mixture of NHS placement settings, including hospitals and GPS in either East Lancashire or Cumbria depending on whether you are studying in Burnley or Westlakes.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending