The Student Room Group

Ethics

Redacted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kittyboy

Yes, I stole a lot of this from the internet! Please feel free to post your own topics and request other's to alter something in theirs.

How about giving a source then? :confused:

Also..."mentally retarded" - really?
Reply 2
Redacted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
Jesus Christ, why don't you quit nit-picking the OP and actually make an on-topic contribution?

Tbf, plagiarised walls of text rarely make for decent threads anyway. I'm all for a debate on euthanasia/assisted suicide, but this isn't really the best way of going about it.
Reply 4
Redacted.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am the OP rofl.

I know you are.. I didn't suggest that you weren't. :confused:

Also, your response to the second part of my post that you quoted doesn't make any sense. You suggested outlining both sides of the 'debate'; I suggested that viewing ethical problems as a 'debate' is wrong-minded in the first place.

You're awfully defensive, you know. :s-smilie:
Voluntary and involuntary euthanasia? which one?
Original post by 08Mercyf
Voluntary and involuntary euthanasia? which one?

Let's talk about voluntary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Let's talk about voluntary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool.
Original post by 08Mercyf
Cool.

Sorry
Feelin lazy right now lol
I'll come back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Bloom77;57584803]Sorry
Feelin lazy right now lol
I'll come back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here.:redface:

It's okay. :smile: As someone who's done the interview and four years of medical school (plus three years of another degree where philosophy played a significant part), here's a tip: sounding too sure of your answer to an ethics question (unless it's one with an objective answer like 'name Beauchamp and Childress' four pillars of medical ethics' or something) is much worse than sounding unsure.

Ethics is a mixture of art and science, and there's never really a 'right' answer - in a lot of cases, it's just that one answer is slightly less bad than another. It's good to think about ethical dilemmas, and to be able to show that you've thought of at least some of the factors that would go into making a decision. But it's a mistake to sound too confident (or worse, arrogant) - experienced consultants often struggle with this stuff, because it's hard, and there often isn't an outright winner in terms of options. This is what I meant when I said presenting it as if there are two sides to an ethical debate and that the debate can be won is wrong-headed. That's all.
Being indecisive looks bad, very bad.

As above - if an applicant came in thinking he'd "answered" euthanasia I'm immediately putting him in either the 'stupid' or 'psychopathic' boxes and will spend the rest of the interview trying to find out which one.
Original post by Jaska
The chance you'll be asked about ethics in your interviews is too small to be justify a thread on it. Practice being yourself guys.

Really? I was asked about it extensively at all of my interviews. Oxford did two 20 minute interviews on ethics alone.

Where was it that interviewed you and didn't touch on ethics at all?
Reply 14
Original post by Jaska
The chance you'll be asked about ethics in your interviews is too small to be justify a thread on it. Practice being yourself guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I was given an ethical scenario in both of my interviews, and from the people I've spoken to it seems to be quite common - obviously this varies by medical school.

EDIT: Just realised that sentence is almost an echo of what nexttime has posted above. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm not sure where all this hate towards the OP is coming from. I actually found discussing ethical scenarios to be very helpful when I was preparing for interviews. It gave me a chance to understand the role of the healthcare professional in various situations, and hear other people's opinions on topics I had never considered. It definitely persuaded me to look more into the area and educate myself. Granted it's not helpful to memorise a list of answers, but I found that with ethical scenarios, it was worthwhile just to stimulate a discussion and encourage a more open-mind, as well as learn the limits of healthcare and the boundaries of treatment for patients in the UK.

Also, just to add to the conversation, I found these case scenarios on the GMC website to be an interesting read:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Redacted.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending