The Student Room Group

UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bluth.
£54??? I'm pretty sure my undergrad membership was £18-20. I have to say, I now have a massive pile of unopened The Psychologist magazines that have never been read :redface: I also won free years worth of graduate membership, which is annoying seeing as I am not on a course this year. Now I'm going to have another stack magazines :tongue: Maybe I should actually get round to reading them!

I'm looking in to everything really... taught Msc (probably either research methods or neuropsych), Msc by research or Phd.

Yes, at least I think so! Its much lower for postgrads, something like £20. I don't really need more psychology magazines so i don't think i'll bother :P

Can you only apply for a masters after graduating? I really like the look of going to a university in the netherlands, like amsterdam or radboud for a masters. Amsterdam seems like a cool place.
Hi Everyone. This seems like a very old discussion but i just wanted someone to guide me for the field of psychology :smile: Im going to choose my A levels this year.
Reply 1622
Original post by iammichealjackson
Yes, at least I think so! Its much lower for postgrads, something like £20. I don't really need more psychology magazines so i don't think i'll bother :P

Can you only apply for a masters after graduating? I really like the look of going to a university in the netherlands, like amsterdam or radboud for a masters. Amsterdam seems like a cool place.

Yeah, you can apply in your final year if you know what you want to do...which I didn't. I have just looked at the BPS pricing and it is £19/£23 (depending on payment method) if you are a student and not earning a taxable income :smile:

What psychology magazines do you read? Are there any particularly reputable ones?
Original post by Bluth.
Yeah, you can apply in your final year if you know what you want to do...which I didn't. I have just looked at the BPS pricing and it is £19/£23 (depending on payment method) if you are a student and not earning a taxable income :smile:

What psychology magazines do you read? Are there any particularly reputable ones?

Well i just read scientific american mind and newscietist. However when i come back from uni i will have a pile of 8 newscientists to read and a couple of american minds (it is bimonthly). I would recommend it, its pretty reputable. Its an american mag and has quite a lot of big names in it (even from the UK). Do you read any? I imagine these days there are probably blogs and podcasts out there for psychology which are just as good...

Oh and thanks! I wasn't looking at the "not earning taxable income".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Maleeha121
Hi Everyone. This seems like a very old discussion but i just wanted someone to guide me for the field of psychology :smile: Im going to choose my A levels this year.

I would probably begin by reading some books on the topic. I got into psychology through robert winston's "THe human mind", which is a really good introduction to BIOLOGICAL and COGNITIVE psychology. "The Social Animal" by Aronson is a good introduction to SOCIAL psychology, although expensive (not if you buy a younger edition though).
Original post by iammichealjackson
I would probably begin by reading some books on the topic. I got into psychology through robert winston's "THe human mind", which is a really good introduction to BIOLOGICAL and COGNITIVE psychology. "The Social Animal" by Aronson is a good introduction to SOCIAL psychology, although expensive (not if you buy a younger edition though).

Okay thankyou I'l start reading the human mind soon :smile:
Reply 1626
Sure :smile: Are you at school or university?
hi there, have just started A level psychology and have to do an essay on the 4 stages of lifespan development. wondering if anyone had an old essay i could look at so i have an idea of how to write one. i dont want to copy it and it does not have to relate to my essay. i want to see how you critically evaluate etc.. any help would be most appreciated. Thanks guys
Reply 1628
Hi I've just started studying psychology at university! I just joined the group :smile:
Reply 1629
Yay, new people :biggrin: :hello:
Reply 1630
Hey, I've just joined the group, currently doing A-Levels, and I'm thinking about doing Psychology at Uni and then do my Masters/PHD afterwards in Counselling. But before I do all that, I was wondering what it was like to study General Psychology at University. Can anyone give a me a general background on what we learn and how hard it is? Thanks.
Original post by JtChan
Hey, I've just joined the group, currently doing A-Levels, and I'm thinking about doing Psychology at Uni and then do my Masters/PHD afterwards in Counselling. But before I do all that, I was wondering what it was like to study General Psychology at University. Can anyone give a me a general background on what we learn and how hard it is? Thanks.

Compared to other degrees at my uni we have probably a lower workload than average, probably around the same as history or english lit but less than some harder sciences get.

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC6A08EB4EEFF3E91F I always recommend going through these lectures for newbies. Psychology isn't the study of counselling and it is MUCH broader- if your interested in counselling then other degrees might be more useful.
Original post by bohogirlie
Loads of people on the board seem to study psych
And i love it. I know a lot of people on this board who don't study it say it is mickey mouse blah blah blah, but who really cares!!

If you want to join, just add a message and i'll add you to the members list

Leader

bohogirlie

Sub-Leaders

AATTMM
Hanzing

Member List

StarBlueUK
LS.
*Riz*
jamierwilliams
lou p lou
MiniBarSmarties
Shoe box 10
~Sam~
.NK
Fly By
SiAnY
sassysiren
hunny bun
Lyte
vavavoom
alio
Specialheffa
rednirt
ruthiepoothie
Marie55
Mineko
BlueAngel
Mad Kuri
Txt Eva
*Skye*
Plug
Tazzie
squideye
lil crazyflakes
ooops!
frost105
Psychbrainiac
fishcat
ladydeborah
papercut ska
Danni_Bella83
Eddie87-04
lauren23
Ahollisan
silverleaf
sweetheart1241
luize
Emsy
Pianogurrl
saiyamana
bohogirlie
yuki
ainat87
blondebombshell
littlepinkpixie
Jellybabie83
aim33 14
cat meiow
Peter E
Ultima gtr
chocolate fudge
sokas
raven4723
girlpants
~Raven~
Sam2005
HearTheThunder
leigh787
saffie
*gemchicken*
saree
DeLboY
caesura
~*sweetness*~
kate85
Doom and Gloom
clomoo
Emily-Sarah
rarely_may
CheesyBeans
mia gen
daniellejuson
.:fluff:.
shylock
podge
princess_amy
mich2005
xXlil'-AnGelXx
8owman
10inchpianist
monty mike
friendsfreak88
all i want
sweetangel
doomandgee
pmc2k
creamcrackered

To join, please see this page.

I would like to join this page
I would like to join this page
i'd like to join please :smile:
Reply 1635
No need to ask, just go to the [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter[type]=socialgroup&filter[forumid]=211&onlyresults=1"]group and join :smile:
Maybe it is not the right thread to ask but I am doing my psychology homework and I need the definition of absence of illness. :colondollar:
I found 2 different definition on the internet:frown: HELP
So, what is absence of illness?
I'm into criminal psychology, but I guess I have to start from clinical, since most people follow that route!
Original post by wingscarletx
I'm into criminal psychology, but I guess I have to start from clinical, since most people follow that route!

You can do a forensic psychology masters instead. Check the BPS website
Original post by *Interrobang*
You can do a forensic psychology masters instead. Check the BPS website

Yes, that's what I mean. Getting a degree in Psychology then focus on Forensic/Criminal Psychology in higher studies. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending