The Student Room Group

F1 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noj777
Personally:........

Favourite driver generally: Jenson Button

Driver I'm currently tracking: Valterri Bottas (predict big things, he's like a slightly more talkative Raikkonen)

Favourite overall team at the moment: (drivers' conduct , performance , cars etc.) Williams

Prediction for driver's title: Rosberg (slowly but surely improving)

Prediction for constructor's title: (is there really any point?, not really a prediction...)

Most hated driver in terms of conduct: Lewis Hamilton (sorry if you view me as a traitor)

Current rating of season: 7/10 (poor at the top end, but some interesting battles and rising stars, like verstappen and torro rosso's performance in general)

My favourite driver is Sebastian Vettel, he's very talented and it's a shame people are only starting to notice it now rather than when he was winning championships. I agree that the RedBull car was outstanding however, people need to give Vettel his credit and they finally are. I also love the fact you hate Lewis Hamilton, his ignorance and childish behaviour is not right yet people don't see it. The Monaco Grand Prix is a perfect example of his childish antics as he sulked and stopped his car to delay the podium. This year's seasons become better with the Hungarian Grand Prix mixing it up and hoping for Spa to bring it's usual unpredictability.
FIA set to test closed cockpits in the wake of Justin Wilson's death during in an Indycar race where he was struck on the head by a piece of debris

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-set-to-carry-out-closed-cockpit-tests

Original post by TornadoGR4
FIA set to test closed cockpits in the wake of Justin Wilson's death during in an Indycar race where he was struck on the head by a piece of debris

Interesting. This discussion comes up often, like after the massa incident. Hopefully they do something productive after these tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Charlotte_Lauren
My favourite driver is Sebastian Vettel, he's very talented and it's a shame people are only starting to notice it now rather than when he was winning championships. I agree that the RedBull car was outstanding however, people need to give Vettel his credit and they finally are. I also love the fact you hate Lewis Hamilton, his ignorance and childish behaviour is not right yet people don't see it. The Monaco Grand Prix is a perfect example of his childish antics as he sulked and stopped his car to delay the podium. This year's seasons become better with the Hungarian Grand Prix mixing it up and hoping for Spa to bring it's usual unpredictability.

Couldn't agree more.Sorry I didn't see this before,I was away in Scotland
Reply 45
[video="youtube;nu5UvgIcMOg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5UvgIcMOg[/video]
Original post by TornadoGR4

Cool, this reminds me of the GT Red bull X1 prototype project .
That's what I imagine any closed cockpits would be like in F1 (referring to the Red Bull X series seen in Gran Turismo), wouldn't restrict the visibility in any way, would improve the aero and doesn't look ridiculous like the above Mercedes concept. Dare say the engineers could design the cockpits to be easily removable in the event a car was upside down and they needed quick access to the driver.
Reply 47
Original post by Robbo-92
That's what I imagine any closed cockpits would be like in F1 (referring to the Red Bull X series seen in Gran Turismo), wouldn't restrict the visibility in any way, would improve the aero and doesn't look ridiculous like the above Mercedes concept. Dare say the engineers could design the cockpits to be easily removable in the event a car was upside down and they needed quick access to the driver.

Yes, there are definitely practical issues that would come up in development. In relation to the X1, I agree with you that it's canopy is virtually exactly what I imagined, falling somewhere between current F1 cars and le mans prototypes. As for the fan and full wheel cowellings, I doubt these are realistic, or safe, but as the video says, "restricted by regulations"...
Original post by Noj777
Yes, there are definitely practical issues that would come up in development. In relation to the X1, I agree with you that it's canopy is virtually exactly what I imagined, falling somewhere between current F1 cars and le mans prototypes. As for the fan and full wheel cowellings, I doubt these are realistic, or safe, but as the video says, "restricted by regulations"...

Another reason why I would like a solution like the X1 is that while the car would effectively be a closed cockpit from the outside it would still look (a bit at least, if it was crystal clear Perspex) like an open cockpit racer hopefully satisfying some of the people who think F1 should always be open cockpit.

I imagine the engineers that work in F1 could easily work around any of the major problems cockpits pose, after all they do work in F1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply 49
Original post by Robbo-92
Another reason why I would like a solution like the X1 is that while the car would effectively be a closed cockpit from the outside it would still look (a bit at least, if it was crystal clear Perspex) like an open cockpit racer hopefully satisfying some of the people who think F1 should always be open cockpit.

I imagine the engineers that work in F1 could easily work around any of the major problems cockpits pose, after all they do work in F1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, from a driver's perspective ,it would still be very similar ,good point
Räikkönen has got to be my favourite driver. Just the way he is, and his media interviews are usually pretty hilarious! He's just so laid back about everything. Don't ask me anything about the current season though because I've not really been following it. (I'm quite bad at following things!) And the game I'm hoping to get soon as well.
Reply 51
Original post by LBS_187
Räikkönen has got to be my favourite driver. Just the way he is, and his media interviews are usually pretty hilarious! He's just so laid back about everything. Don't ask me anything about the current season though because I've not really been following it. (I'm quite bad at following things!) And the game I'm hoping to get soon as well.

Don't know if you saw it, but there's a video of him earlier in the thread, "I was having a ****!"

It doesn't show this bit in the video, but after this, Martin Brundell actually nervously jokes around, saying "well your car will be a bit lighter on the grid then"

I agree with you, he's funny, they don't call him the iceman for nothing, but by the same token, he's capable of getting rather annoyed when provoked! :wink:
Original post by Noj777
Don't know if you saw it, but there's a video of him earlier in the thread, "I was having a ****!"

It doesn't show this bit in the video, but after this, Martin Brundell actually nervously jokes around, saying "well your car will be a bit lighter on the grid then"

I agree with you, he's funny, they don't call him the iceman for nothing, but by the same token, he's capable of getting rather annoyed when provoked! :wink:

Yes, I've watched that before! And the radio chatter where he says "Yes yes I'm doing all of that, you don't have to remind me every ten seconds!"

I respect Kimi because he doesn't really care what others think about his racing. He has a passion for it, so he just does it. Yes, he definitely can be hot headed! Couldn't agree with you more!
Reply 53
Original post by LBS_187
Yes, I've watched that before! And the radio chatter where he says "Yes yes I'm doing all of that, you don't have to remind me every ten seconds!"

I respect Kimi because he doesn't really care what others think about his racing. He has a passion for it, so he just does it. Yes, he definitely can be hot headed! Couldn't agree with you more!

Haha , yes I remember that , brilliant ! :wink:
I've watched F1 since 1998 and I'm pretty much done with it:frown:

I don't mind the new engines, but Pirelli are killing the sport for me.
Massa could win this race
Original post by Raiden10
Massa could win this race

Nah, Ferrari have been cleared. Could get a double Williams podium potentially...

Check out the Italian GP thread for updates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
[video="youtube;SPPVngWRhsQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPPVngWRhsQ&list=PLOyE8FcK5hKX02MD-vEQeVDzKS_ykCcDS&index=1[/video]

F1 2015 and its initial bugs...
Reply 59
Original post by Noj777
F1 2015 and its initial bugs...

Haven't had any problems, aside from the online races being pretty terrible (I don't think I've completed a race with more than 2 players)

The game as a whole is pretty average. Racing feels good, but not enough to keep me interested. Completed one season and the games pretty much finished.

Quick Reply

Latest