The Student Room Group

A-level Options Help

I just need some help on deciding my A level options next year

I currently have:
Law
French
Eng. Lit
RE & Philosophy

I am unsure whether to do history next year as it may be more useful/ better viewed than RE, although I have never done history before (the teacher still said I can take it although). Just need help deciding

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Mileshooper

I currently have:
Law
French
Eng. Lit
RE & Philosophy

I am unsure whether to do history next year as it may be more useful/ better viewed than RE, although I have never done history before (the teacher still said I can take it although). Just need help deciding

Thanks

If I were you I wouldn't do law - which is the least respected of all those!!!
I'd go with hist/ eng lit/ French/ RS

Why would you do law over history? even if you wanna become a lawyer, history is valued so much more over law a level... In fact I've heard many top law courses can discriminate against those that have done law a level!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cjslions
If I were you I wouldn't do law - which is the least respected of all those!!!
I'd go with hist/ eng lit/ French/ RS

Why would you do law over history? even if you wanna become a lawyer, history is valued so much more over law a level... In fact I've heard many top law courses can discriminate against those that have done law a level!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very true, you should consider doing all five at the start though and then drop the one you think doesn't fit you the best. Whilst I'm unsure if unis will actively discriminate against people doing law at A-level I do know that history is very respected by the admissions tutors for law. It gives you all the applicable skills you need for the degree, usually to a higher level than a law A-level.

That being said, if you want to study law then don't let us stop you, clearly having some grounding in law is better than none and as long as you talk about what you've learnt from the A-level I'm sure unis will see it as positive. I would also recommend doing work experience or sitting in at a crown court or something, anyone can sit in usually and it's a great way to get a taste for the profession (it's a little like watching TV too!:wink:).

Edit: The history course is very interesting too, I just did it to AS level and found it to be rather intensive but I still found it to be a great subject! You'll need to write fast though, you get very little time in the exam to write your answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mileshooper

I currently have:
Law
French
Eng. Lit
RE & Philosophy

Thanks

This is true. If you think you would enjoy history more, or you need it for/it would aid your university application, I'd definitely recommend swapping out RE or law.

Quick Reply

Latest