The Student Room Group

A level choices- Geography or Economics?

Right, I just finished my GCSEs and I am certain that I will study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A level (hopefully medicine at uni :smile:) but I am stuck for my fourth option. I did GCSE OCR Geography A at GCSE and really enjoyed it however if I do it at A level, I will have to do Edexcel which means I would have to cover topics I didn't do in my GCSE syllabus such as coasts. Economics also really appeals to me and it seems very interesting; I'd say I'm inclined to choose Geography.

What would you advise me?
Reply 1
Original post by hahahahaha123
Right, I just finished my GCSEs and I am certain that I will study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A level (hopefully medicine at uni :smile:) but I am stuck for my fourth option. I did GCSE OCR Geography A at GCSE and really enjoyed it however if I do it at A level, I will have to do Edexcel which means I would have to cover topics I didn't do in my GCSE syllabus such as coasts. Economics also really appeals to me and it seems very interesting; I'd say I'm inclined to choose Geography.

I'm sure you will be great at both. I had this problem too. Economics isn't something you've done before entirely right? So having a few topics you need to learn in geography shouldn't be too bad in comparison. Also do what you want to do. Look at the specs again and see if you really want to go beyond it or not. I prefer geography though (may or may not be biased).
You need to check if it is AS or A-level so you can drop it and then focus on the other three in yr13.
Also what is OCR doing! Geography exam with no coasts ???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
I'm sure you will be great at both. I had this problem too. Economics isn't something you've done before entirely right? So having a few topics you need to learn in geography shouldn't be too bad in comparison. Also do what you want to do. Look at the specs again and see if you really want to go beyond it or not. I prefer geography though (may or may not be biased).
You need to check if it is AS or A-level so you can drop it and then focus on the other three in yr13.
Also what is OCR doing! Geography exam with no coasts ???

Yes I haven't done Economics before at all. And yes no coasts at all in the OCR Geography A specification. Do you do Geography at AS level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes I haven't done Economics before at all. And yes no coasts at all in the OCR Geography A specification. Do you do Geography at AS level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still in yr11 but I'm familiar with the geography spec (geeky I know). My school does offer it to AS/A2 and I probably won't drop it and carry it on at A-level. But because you want to become a doctor I thought I'd suggest it.
Reply 4

I am doing maths biology chemistry and geography at a level and I think it's great! The Edexcel course is not that bad and it really doesn't matter what spec you did at GCSE. Plus there are loads of resources available for AS geography Edexcel.
I found it interesting as the course is split half physical geography and half human geography, so it gave me a wide range of content that was really interesting.
Plus if you liked gcse geog, you should like a level too :smile:
Original post by Azula
I am doing maths biology chemistry and geography at a level and I think it's great! The Edexcel course is not that bad and it really doesn't matter what spec you did at GCSE. Plus there are loads of resources available for AS geography Edexcel.
I found it interesting as the course is split half physical geography and half human geography, so it gave me a wide range of content that was really interesting.
Plus if you liked gcse geog, you should like a level too :smile:

Yes I really enjoy it tbh, it seems as if Geography is the one for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest