The Student Room Group

OASC lists (worth a look)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You might be my boss at some point, Yoof! Im going for WSOp myself - would rather be an NCO than an officer, and get some proper work done :biggrin: j/k
MrFlibble
You might be my boss at some point, Yoof! Im going for WSOp myself - would rather be an NCO than an officer, and get some proper work done :biggrin: j/k

lol, well thats a possibility. Ive got WSOp down as a second, and i'd take it in a flash should i not get WSO.

Good luck with the process, what stage you at? (feel free to PM me if you'd prefer)
Reply 22
Well, I had my filter last Friday, and was told that I'd passed and that he (the Interviewing Officer) would put me forward for OASC between 2-3 months from now. Im not sure, but am presuming there's a pre-OASC fitness test which I'll have to do before I head down, even though it wasnt mentioned at the interview.

A little about me - Im a 23 year old IT graduate, worked in a few places in the past couple of years! I've worked in a West End theatre, the Tower of London, and an IT Trainer and admin assistant (both as unpaid work placements), as a barman for 5 years, plus Im also joining the British Red Cross. Im a green belt kickboxer, and attend class about 3 times a week - twice/three times a week I also do a 2 mile run, which takes about 18-20 minutes; so I imagine Im gonna have to get that down! I also go swimming once a week too :smile:

So, you could say Ive been trying to keep myself as busy as possible in the past couple of years - just wondering if its gonna be enough for the guys down at OASC...! :s-smilie:
Yoof - if you apply for WSO first and WSOp second, i'd happily wager that you'll get WSOp, regardless of whether you do well enough for WSO or not. They're crying out for WSOp's but not so for WSOs.

My advice would be to put down WSO, then a ground branch and if you don't get accepted for WSO, tell them you'd like to be considered for WSOp.

At least by doing it that way you'll at least be considered for WSO. Call me cynical, but i think that's how it works.

Depends how bothered you are about being a WSOp instead of a WSO - the jobs are massively different.
Cheers for the insight there Rizza. To be completely honest, i'd be happy with either, if i can say that without sounding like i'll settle for whatevers going. Although the jobs are very different, both are very appealing. i sometimes think i shouldnt have put WSO down though, as im probably better suited for WSOp, and sometimes think i'd prefer WSOp to WSO anyway, but we'll see how it goes. Bit of a strange one i know.

Hows NCAITC coming along? Hard grafting i take it?
Reply 25
Yoof the Fifer
Although the jobs are very different, both are very appealing. i sometimes think i shouldnt have put WSO down though, as im probably better suited for WSOp, and sometimes think i'd prefer WSOp to WSO anyway, but we'll see how it goes. Bit of a strange one i know.

Who wouldnt want to be a WSOp?

Dropping sonobuoys out of Nimrods hunting subs, dropping paras out of a Hercules and watching the newbies barf, hanging out of the side of a Sea King plucking some dumb climber off the side of Mt Snowdon...

Who in their right mind wouldnt want to do that? It sounds cool beyond belief!!

Besides, everyone knows that Pilots are just glorified taxi drivers :biggrin: (takes cover)
Reply 26
Or you could be a WSO in the back of a FJ instead? Just playing Devil's Advocate...

Personally I'd sooner have WSOp over WSO and, indeed, Pilot. But that's just me.
Hi Yoof,

The ITC finished 6 months ago mate and i've just finished the Generic course. I'm currently waiting to be streamed, hopefully as a Rotary Crewman. The big disadvantage WSOp has over WSO is obviously the rank and pay, for starters, although that tends to even itself eventually, but the fact that you could train for a year at Halton, then Cranwell on the ITC and the Generic course only to find that you're streamed into a job that you aren't particularly keen on. For example, if you join up dead-set on being a Chinook crewman, because it looks the most exciting, you may find yourself actually streamed as a Nimrod Acoustic man and the looks of disappointment on some people's faces is not nice. As long as you're prepared for that, then you'll be okay. At least with WSO, you know that somewhere down the line, whatever aircraft you fly with, you're going to be on the flight deck.

That said, those that have been streamed into positions they didn't really want generally end up enjoying it and the Generic system is designed to allow those that remain disillusioned to re-role after their first tour, so eventually you would get what you've been looking for, it's just a long way around.

Anyway, good luck with OASC, hope it all goes well for you, whatever you decide.
Reply 28
I thought you actually did better for pay in the short term as NCA? At what point do you get full Sgt pay, as I'm sure that's more than a Fg Off. Also, when do you start earning flying pay; I'm sure in absolute terms that happens faster than it does for pilots or navs.

You'll probably find most of the WSOs you're working alongside on 55(R) think the same way regarding streaming. While there's no rotary option anymore, I think guys going maritime who desperately wanted to be in the back of a GR4 experience similar disappointment, but without any real hope of a re-role!

Are any first tourist NCA sent SAR, or is that still a "volunteer-for" thing after a first tour?
To be honest, i'm not sure of the pay for WSOs, but i can tell you that as an Acting Sgt, i earn the equivalent of Cpl, Higher Band Level 1, until i receive my brevet. I go to substansive rank and pay after that, with flying pay.

As for Ab-Initio WSOps being streamed SAR, yes, it invariably happens, but not that often, SAR usually prefer to take first or second tourists from the AEOp Acoustic branch, rather than rotary. However, it is open to everyone.

As for your thoughts on WSO streaming, i completely empaphise with those that don't get what they want, but again, at least they're guaranteed to work at the pointy end, as opposed to the wannabe Chinook Cmn who finds himself hunting Whale farts in a Nimrod over the North Sea !
Reply 30
Guess I'll be joining you Yoof. I'm looking forward to it. :cool:
Reply 31
May 29th. :smile:
Reply 32
*bump
Reply 33
*bump*
Reply 34
April:
May 1st: J Cowley (b16a2)
May 8th: Browning, Andy (norm29)
May 20th: Board*Star* Hayley
June 5th: Captainusa, buster
June 26th: Yoof the Fifer
Reply 35
April:

July 15th: MrFlibble :smile:
Reply 36
April:

July 1st: Theo1977
July 15th: MrFlibble
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 24th...tomorow!arrghhh!

April:24th G Anderson (NightFlight)

Reply 38
April 24th...tomorow!arrghhh!

April:29th P Davidge (peggyd)

April:29th P Davidge (peggyd) C Whittaker (FightOrFlight)

Quick Reply

Latest