The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mcgreevy1993
Sorry I typed this too quickly, the expansion bottle, has a leaked due to holes. Not the radiator or coolant.
This runs from the radiator. I'm going to a scrap yard tomorrow to replace it anyway so delayed my journey.

It's burst just after changing?

If it's burst change the bottleand all should be fine, but a new one shouldn't be bursting on you!
Original post by DeeWave
It's burst just after changing?

If it's burst change the bottleand all should be fine, but a new one shouldn't be bursting on you!

It was from a scrap yard, and I've had some issues with the grille on my car. The old owner did a cheap job of it and stones have been getting in on country roads and the expansion bottle took some hits as they are so brittle on the micras 😭

The grill is next on my list, but I've got a feeling the first expansion bottle was not fitted correctly as this replacement has seem to irradicated the issue. Which is strange.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
It was from a scrap yard, and I've had some issues with the grille on my car. The old owner did a cheap job of it and stones have been getting in on country roads and the expansion bottle took some hits as they are so brittle on the micras 😭

The grill is next on my list, but I've got a feeling the first expansion bottle was not fitted correctly as this replacement has seem to irradicated the issue. Which is strange.

Yep I'd just change the bottle ASAP then. Wouldn't worry too much about the odd stone they're pretty tough if in good condition. A new one shouldn't be expensive that would probably be the best shout as you say the plastic can get brittle with age.
Cant say without looking but if the temperature gauge is running centre under normal operation and all the oil and fluids are set then your probably fine. CG10/CG13s (The engine in your 2nd gen micra) are bulletproof usually. Temperature radiated through the bonnet is pretty much irrelevent.
got a similar on my astra tried driving with the heating on full wack but still the same amount of smoke (clear ish) came out when i'd completed my journey
Reply 25
Four silly thinks to check but these are generic as no idea re your particular model of car:

1. If a fan for radiator, is it kicking in? Start it with bonnet open and watch. (no idea if your model has a thermostat operated fan, if it does common cause of overheating) If does not kick in thermostat or electrics likely.

2. When you did change the expansion tank you did top with coolant, not just water? Coolant in the water changes boiling point, if solution weak overheating can occur.

3.Is fan belt to water pump (if your car operates this way) broken? You can also try to listen for bearing noise but difficult with engine noise.

4. Are there any leaks evident, place clean newspaper sheets under car on road (when engine cold) start engine wait a bit and observe if any damp patches become evident. (Dry day obviously) Remember that liquid never seems to come straight down, it tends to follow parts in engine bay and fall at least three feet sideways from the actual leak.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending