The Student Room Group

Car is running hot, should I be concerned?

Hi, need some help on my micra 2000 before I hit the road tomorrow.

The engiene on my car seems to be becoming considerably hot, especially on short journeys which include a lot of reversing and driving up hills.

I recently had my expansion tank changed which cools the engine, but it is way above the minimum and not over max. There are no warning lights on the car to suggest otherwise.

However, the engine gets hot enough To feel over bonnet over the course of a 5 minute drive. I'm concerned as I'm driving it back from Uni tomorrow - and Im scared it may overheat.

The fuel is low right now, so I don't know if this could be the fact the car is running on low fuel and struggling.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

If it's not the level of water in the expansion tank itself, it could be the coolant in the radiator. Make sure that oil is topped up as well. I know when I had a Ford KA, I thought that the level was just below the maximum. Appearances can be deceiving, so be sure to check by opening up the cap and sticking something in there. I know you said that you checked, but still...There could also be the chance that there is a leak in the radiator itself or the cooling system isn't working.

Cars will run hotter with the warm weather, as well. Short journeys will also tax a small engine very heavily. Especially with the stop-start nature of traffic. Adjusting your driving style could work if the journey involves a lot of start-stop traffic.

If the dials in the car do not say too much, I wouldn't be that worried at that point, but it could be something that you'd have to troubleshoot further, or to take it to a garage.
Reply 2
Don't go by how hot the engine feels through the bonnet. Engines make a *lot* of heat as a by product of all the explosions they utilise to make them run. You should have a temperature gauge on the dashboard with this symbol:

That should be bang on in the middle with normal driving. Stop start city driving, especially on a warm day will likely push that up to 3/4, but it should never hit red. If you have enough coolant and it's still overheating (needle going into red) then your waterpump may be on the way out, and you'd want to get that fixed pretty soonish. No cooling and an overheated engine can lead to some pretty catastrophic stuff.
Original post by Nuffles
Don't go by how hot the engine feels through the bonnet. Engines make a *lot* of heat as a by product of all the explosions they utilise to make them run. You should have a temperature gauge on the dashboard with this symbol:

That should be bang on in the middle with normal driving. Stop start city driving, especially on a warm day will likely push that up to 3/4, but it should never hit red. If you have enough coolant and it's still overheating (needle going into red) then your waterpump may be on the way out, and you'd want to get that fixed pretty soonish. No cooling and an overheated engine can lead to some pretty catastrophic stuff.

Mine one of this (from your picture) always shows in the middle. It goes to the middle when I switch the engiene on, could it be broke??

It is an old car, so I read the insulation over the bonnet isn't as good then as it is with new cars, so they do feel hotter. If I take the car up the motorway today and it does overheat, how is a way to cool is down as a temp solution or would I just need to call my break down cover?
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Mine one of this (from your picture) always shows in the middle. It goes to the middle when I switch the engiene on, could it be broke??

It is an old car, so I read the insulation over the bonnet isn't as good then as it is with new cars, so they do feel hotter. If I take the car up the motorway today and it does overheat, how is a way to cool is down as a temp solution or would I just need to call my break down cover?

Maybe get a better car. A Micra 2000 is a grannies car.

And no, when you switch the engine for the first time in the day, it shouldn't go straight up into the middle. It might if you switched your engine off, then came back 30 mins later.
Original post by thisistheend
Maybe get a better car. A Micra 2000 is a grannies car.

And no, when you switch the engine for the first time in the day, it shouldn't go straight up into the middle. It might if you switched your engine off, then came back 30 mins later.

I have an been awaiting the grannie jokes over my car. :wink:
Has a new driver of only a few months, I'm too scared to get a better car as I may actually kill it off as I seem to be doing to this poor Micra... (that is a joke btw)
My plans are a fancy ford fiesta when my insurance goes down, but a grannie car is more than good for now.

The car itself drives fine, im only concerned of the heat coming from the bonnet, theres no steam or smell but I've been a bit paranoid since my expansion bottle went a few weeks ago. I'm hoping its not a case they've fitted in incorrectly and the whole car might explode.
I'm hoping its just because its old and has you have have said thisistheend, its a grannies car! :colondollar:
I think you will need to have your car's thermostat to be replaced, The thermostat regulates the coolant flow in the engine so if it is faulty your car can heat up very quickly. Do have a good look at your radiator coolant and make sure that they are at optimum levels, read the owners manual for which coolant to be used . Take it to the garage to have its radiator's axial fan inspected, the water pump needs to be checked for any clogs and the radiator should be checked for leaks.
Do change your engine oil at recommended intervals as described by the owner's manual.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
I think you will need to have your car's thermostat to be replaced, The thermostat regulates the coolant flow in the engine so if it is faulty your car can heat up very quickly. Do have a good look at your radiator coolant and make sure that they are at optimum levels, read the owners manual for which coolant to be used . Take it to the garage to have its radiator's axial fan inspected, the water pump needs to be checked for any clogs and the radiator should be checked for leaks.
Do change your engine oil at recommended intervals as described by the owner's manual.

The car was serviced in May and had the oil replaced then. I'm servicing it again after it's MOT in September.
I'm going to pop it over to a garage disafternoon and get them to check to see if the coolant and radiator are running correctly just to be on the safe side I think.
The car was serviced in May and had the oil replaced then. I'm servicing it again after it's MOT in September.
I'm going to pop it over to a garage disafternoon and get them to check to see if the coolant and radiator are running correctly just to be on the safe side I think.

Thats a good consideration, but do ask them to get the thermostat inspected it is the one that might be causing the problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
Thats a good consideration, but do ask them to get the thermostat inspected it is the one that might be causing the problem.

Will do thanks for the heads up :smile:
If it really is overheating, and I am not convinced you know what you are talking about, try flushing the radiator. It is an old car so the the vents may be blocked.
You flush by disconnecting the top and bottom hose and holding a hosepipe in the radiator hole for the bottom hose. The water should exit from the top hose hole.
Do this for about 10 minutes

Another trick is remove the thermostat altogether. This allows greater water flow.
Whilst out the thermostat can be tested. Place in a pan of water and heat slowly.
It should open at about halfway to boiling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mphysical
If it really is overheating, and I am not convinced you know what you are talking about, try flushing the radiator. It is an old car so the the vents may be blocked.
You flush by disconnecting the top and bottom hose and holding a hosepipe in the radiator hole for the bottom hose. The water should exit from the top hose hole.
Do this for about 10 minutes

Another trick is remove the thermostat altogether. This allows greater water flow.
Whilst out the thermostat can be tested. Place in a pan of water and heat slowly.
It should open at about halfway to boiling.

I didn't say the car is overheating, just the engiene itself is running hot. The car itself is running fine - but no I dont really know what im talking about - hence why I've come online to ask x
Just got back from the mechanic. Everything is fine bar the fact my expansion box for my coolant is starting to go again!!

Thanks for the help, lucky I checked this x
Just got back from the mechanic. Everything is fine bar the fact my expansion box for my coolant is starting to go again!!

confused by what you mean by this, and i'd not listen to a single thing this 'mechanic' says, and find somewhere else to take your car in future.

the header tank it literally a plastic bottle with a pressure release cap, and 2 pipes a inlet and outlet for your coolant to cycle around the engine, your heater matrix and radiator etc.

there's literally nothing that can 'go' on the expansion tank, bar getting a leak (extremely unlikely its pretty thick plastic), the cap can become faulty so they system gets over or under pressurised ie it doesn't release pressure or allow air in if your running cold and there's a vacuum , new caps are a couple of quid, and the hoses to and from the tank can degrade and leak etc, but the tank itself is unlikely to have any problems, especially as you've recently replaced it.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's unlikely to be the thermostat as these tend to stick open (more cooling) rather than closed (less cooling). To add to that, motorway driving is literally the best kind of driving for cars that 'run hot' as the engine is working relatively little and you're getting a huge air flow over the radiator. Compare this to running around town where you're revving it up and down all the time and you're spending a lot of time sitting still with no air flow over the radiator.

Unless the temperature sensor is bad, trust the temp gauge. A new sensor would be a couple of quid on eBay and very easy to fit if you wanted to trust the temp gauge 100%.

Glad to hear that :auto:
Original post by Nuffles
It's unlikely to be the thermostat as these tend to stick open (more cooling) rather than closed (less cooling). To add to that, motorway driving is literally the best kind of driving for cars that 'run hot' as the engine is working relatively little and you're getting a huge air flow over the radiator. Compare this to running around town where you're revving it up and down all the time and you're spending a lot of time sitting still with no air flow over the radiator.

Unless the temperature sensor is bad, trust the temp gauge. A new sensor would be a couple of quid on eBay and very easy to fit if you wanted to trust the temp gauge 100%.

That's not been my experience. I've had a number of problems with outboards cutting out because the thermostat had failed closed, and the thermostat on my car failed closed a few weeks back. I wouldn't even bother testing a thermostat these days, for what they cost it's as well just to throw a new one in if there's any doubt.

Obviously if the stat has failed shut then airflow through the radiator is somewhat irrelevant!
Original post by kernow24
confused by what you mean by this, and i'd not listen to a single thing this 'mechanic' says, and find somewhere else to take your car in future.

the header tank it literally a plastic bottle with a pressure release cap, and 2 pipes a inlet and outlet for your coolant to cycle around the engine, your heater matrix and radiator etc.

there's literally nothing that can 'go' on the expansion tank, bar getting a leak (extremely unlikely its pretty thick plastic), the cap can become faulty so they system gets over or under pressurised ie it doesn't release pressure or allow air in if your running cold and there's a vacuum , new caps are a couple of quid, and the hoses to and from the tank can degrade and leak etc, but the tank itself is unlikely to have any problems, especially as you've recently replaced it.

Sorry I typed this too quickly, the expansion bottle, has a leaked due to holes. Not the radiator or coolant.
This runs from the radiator. I'm going to a scrap yard tomorrow to replace it anyway so delayed my journey.
you'll need to backflush the matrix. seen it before on the old micras. don't let it overheat or itll fry your piston rings
The bonnet will feel hot, theres no insulation on the bonnet and a lot of the time theres no shield for the exhaust manifold so all the heat goes straight up.

However the temperature gauge should not go straight to the middle on a cold start. They do rise pretty quickly on these cars but it should take a couple of minutes.

Warms starts (recently been driven) it's normal for the gauge to start in the middle or near it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending