The Student Room Group

study abroad in the USA

Has anyone studied abroad in America? I am thinking of applying to do a semester in North Carolina and would love to hear about your experiences. One concern I have is about traveling around the state. I know the USA is not big on public transport so would I have to get a car?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Has anyone studied abroad in America? I am thinking of applying to do a semester in North Carolina and would love to hear about your experiences. One concern I have is about traveling around the state. I know the USA is not big on public transport so would I have to get a car?

Whereabouts in NC? Most universities are pretty self-contained so a car isn't essential unless you want to travel a bunch. Plus you can just hire a car if you need to.
Reply 2
Original post by Sandtrooper
Whereabouts in NC? Most universities are pretty self-contained so a car isn't essential unless you want to travel a bunch. Plus you can just hire a car if you need to.

Chapel Hill
sounds good thanks for the info:smile:
Chapel Hill
sounds good thanks for the info:smile:

You'd probably be fine with a bike and a car hire option until it gets cold. If you're doing an exchange, make sure you live on or close to campus. Chapel Hill is kind of pricey from what I hear so you don't want to be commuting far.
It depends on what school you will be at. There really is not efficient public transport however some colleges are much more walkable than others. Alot of colleges have very contained campuses and there is not much that you would have to leave campus for. UNC for example is in chapel hill which is very much a college town and there's lots of walkable places near campus. Some colleges like NC state have campuses that are a bit more spread out but they have a university bus system to get around campus. At a lot of schools freshman actually aren't even allowed to have cars because of parking availability. So if you plan to stay on campus the whole semester you should be fine without a car, however, if you are planning on traveling around the state it is not walkable outside of college towns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending