The Student Room Group

What A-Level do you regret taking the most?

Scroll to see replies

Psychology because it's a load of rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tolaaa
I did philosophy and i'm now studying it at degree level in King's College! Its really tough (I wont lie) and a lot of reading involved. I'd say its a mixture between History, Politics, English Language & Law.

Really, Well done!! I was thinking of studying it at uni aswell alongside French but obviously need to see how I like it first. Yeah I've heard it's very much essay based but I don't mind them if it's topics I'm fond of. Is there any coursework involved?
Reply 102
Original post by AlphaDog0127
All of them. Should have gone to college and done a BTEC instead.

Really?? What subjects did you do?

I'm thinking of just going to college instead 'cause I think I'll just end up feeling like this if I do A levels.
Physics :s-smilie:
Original post by _Charlotte15
Really, Well done!! I was thinking of studying it at uni aswell alongside French but obviously need to see how I like it first. Yeah I've heard it's very much essay based but I don't mind them if it's topics I'm fond of. Is there any coursework involved?

Thank you :smile: You should if you like it! A degree along side a modern language is amazing and will open the door for so many jobs. Does your college/school offer taster lessons? I couldn't stand Philosophy after a week because of the amount of work but its really interesting. I did Philosophy with OCR and it was 100% exam's for both years but at degree level its a mixture but still more exams.
Economics. Probably only got an A :frown:
For me, it's a toss-up between Psychology and RS. Psychology I enjoyed and I gained quite a bit from it (also it's not a doss subject, the difficulty's fine but the quantity of stuff you have to learn is sizeable) but quite a lot of it is common sense and I do wonder whether I'd have gained more studying a language (adored French and Latin at GCSE) and researching psych in my spare time. And I loved the ethics side and some of the philosophy side with RS, but some of the philosophy was unbearably tedious and I also had a lot of trouble with my teachers. Still, all in all I'm happy with what I took and I'm going to do the subject I love most at uni, so no harm done. I guess if I picked my ASes now I'd probably have done the same thing, just might have traded Psychology for French and then dropped Biology as I did anyway.
Reply 107
Art & Design
Ugghhh! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
I did Music, French and Maths, as well as German and Further Maths AS.

In hindsight, I would/should have just done single Maths AS, and done German to A2 instead.
Further Maths. I quite liked the subject, but it was a lot more work and I'm really unsure as to what grade I'm going to get. It had been really hit and miss with mock exams this year for me.

Should have stuck with Sociology, it was easier and more consistent on my part, grade wise.
Original post by Tolaaa
Thank you :smile: You should if you like it! A degree along side a modern language is amazing and will open the door for so many jobs. Does your college/school offer taster lessons? I couldn't stand Philosophy after a week because of the amount of work but its really interesting. I did Philosophy with OCR and it was 100% exam's for both years but at degree level its a mixture but still more exams.

Really because I was worried the job opportunities would be very limited! No unfortunately they don't run taster lessons for me to see how I like the subject, I'm just basing it on this years ethics I did and the essays which I enjoyed. Ohhh right okay thank you !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gabzzz
Really?? What subjects did you do?

I'm thinking of just going to college instead 'cause I think I'll just end up feeling like this if I do A levels.

Started off doing Fine Art, German, Computing and Sociology but ended up finishing with Fine Art, Product Design and Sociology.

I think the main thing for me was that I'd grown out of secondary school. My teachers were great but the management still insisted on treating 18yos like 12yos and that just didn't sit well with me :smile: I think I would have been happier focusing on art at college and it would have put me in a happier mindset for University instead of feeling like I needed a year after A Levels to sort myself out.
chemistry OCR salter B , worse exam board for chemistry because of that one coursework
I regret not doing one of two things re. Critical Thinking AS: 1) get out of doing it despite the new Head of Sixth making everyone do it as an experiment or 2) actually go to the classes and put some effort in.

Mainly because it very nearly cost me my place on a medical course (outside the UK, so the uni viewed it as equal to any other AS level instead of as the joke that it is).
Reply 114
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Started off doing Fine Art, German, Computing and Sociology but ended up finishing with Fine Art, Product Design and Sociology.

I think the main thing for me was that I'd grown out of secondary school. My teachers were great but the management still insisted on treating 18yos like 12yos and that just didn't sit well with me :smile: I think I would have been happier focusing on art at college and it would have put me in a happier mindset for University instead of feeling like I needed a year after A Levels to sort myself out.

Ooh I see, I'm struggling to decide between sixth form and college for similar reasons.

I'm thinking of doing art at college as well! Fine art GCSE was difficult for me though, I guess I don't like how it's assessed and all that you have to do.
How did you find fine art at A level/what was it like? :smile:
Original post by gabzzz
Ooh I see, I'm struggling to decide between sixth form and college for similar reasons.

I'm thinking of doing art at college as well! Fine art GCSE was difficult for me though, I guess I don't like how it's assessed and all that you have to do.
How did you find fine art at A level/what was it like? :smile:

At my old school it was basically expected that if you did ok at GCSE, you'd stay on for A Levels. My art group halved in size from year 12 to 13 as did my design group... a lot swapped to college. The workload is heavy, if you do multiple subjects it can be extremely difficult to keep up. I'd say 90% of those in my class ended up making sacrifices in other subjects to try and keep up.

I ended up being one of the very fortunate people to have enough raw skill and bullsh*ting ability to pass with very little work, on the other hand my friend was in art every day, did all the work plus some and got a U.
I took English Language (best thing ever), Religious Studies (also REALLY good) and Psychology (worst mistake ever).

Psychology is one of those subjects that you think is going to be really interesting and exciting, but for me it really wasn't. I felt like my memory was constantly being tested, and not my knowledge of the actual subject. I had to remember countless studies off by heart for exams, and it drove me mad at the end of the day. So not worth my time, I dropped it after AS level and didn't continue into the A-Level.

But religious studies was so good, especially the debates we had and hearing people's different views on certain things. Made it easier to listen to other people's opinions too, no matter how controversial they were!
English language really improved my knowledge of grammar. I've always loved English Language, however first year was better than second. Second year involved Old English and was really time consuming and difficult. But interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by an.enigma
Why so? :L What texts did you study?

Poetry was so difficult and you had to write so much. I did CCEA exam board which was a harsh exam board. We studied a streetcar named desire and a glass managerie for plays, the tempest and great Gatsby
Maths tbh
I was a private student so it was really hard for me to teach myself the concepts in A2
shouldve taken english lang instead :/
though again, i can't really evaluate myself on my essays :frown:
Sociology. I literally had like 5 different teachers this school year.

Quick Reply

Latest