The Student Room Group

English Nursing Student Studying in Scotland Finance Question.

Hi.

My daughter is away for a month, and I am just trying to dot i's and cross t's.

She has an offer so study Child Nursing in September in Scotland. She is English, and of course will be living in Scotland during her three-year course.

The NHS pays for her training and gives her a very nice bursary awarded by SAAS (£6,500).

The only issue is her accommodation is anywhere between £5000 and £7000 for the first year, thus swallowing her bursary allowing her no other means of supporting herself (booze, transport, food, textbooks - in that order).

Can she also apply for a student loan? If so, who should she be applying to (SAAS or the Student Loan Company)?

We are not concerned with means-tested grants/bursaries or loans as her Mum and I both do ok.

Is anyone else in this predicament? Do I have to send her chicken nuggets every day Via Royal Mail?

Thanks,

BefuddledDad.
Original post by BefuddledDad
Hi.

My daughter is away for a month, and I am just trying to dot i's and cross t's.

She has an offer so study Child Nursing in September in Scotland. She is English, and of course will be living in Scotland during her three-year course.

The NHS pays for her training and gives her a very nice bursary awarded by SAAS (£6,500).

The only issue is her accommodation is anywhere between £5000 and £7000 for the first year, thus swallowing her bursary allowing her no other means of supporting herself (booze, transport, food, textbooks - in that order).

Can she also apply for a student loan? If so, who should she be applying to (SAAS or the Student Loan Company)?

We are not concerned with means-tested grants/bursaries or loans as her Mum and I both do ok.

Is anyone else in this predicament? Do I have to send her chicken nuggets every day Via Royal Mail?

Thanks,

BefuddledDad.

Hi BefuddledDad. As shes studying in scotland, shes not eligible for any of the nhs bursaries since shes getting a bursary from SAAS nor is she eligible for anything for SFE that I know of. So i m afraid probably no form of other loans or grants shes eligible for.

She d get a similar amount, probably less infact if she was studying in england so apart from encouraging her to stay in private house shares over extortionate halls (£5k-7k is what is normal in london but didnt think it was that bad in scotland) , she ll possibly want to consider a student overdraft, its the only other option really.
Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Hi BefuddledDad. As shes studying in scotland, shes not eligible for any of the nhs bursaries since shes getting a bursary from SAAS nor is she eligible for anything for SFE that I know of. So i m afraid probably no form of other loans or grants shes eligible for.

She d get a similar amount, probably less infact if she was studying in england so apart from encouraging her to stay in private house shares over extortionate halls (£5k-7k is what is normal in london but didnt think it was that bad in scotland) , she ll possibly want to consider a student overdraft, its the only other option really.
Hope this helps:smile:

Hi Claire.

Thanks very much.

I think I have answered my own question. I just went through the application on SFE and she is indeed eligible for a reduced non-means-tested maintenance allowance of £2324 which has now been applied for.

She is studying in Edinburgh, and those living costs are for university-run student accommodation! Is private accommodation much cheaper? I will have to research.

So to clarify, if anyone is studying healthcare and is entitled to a bursary and paid tuition fees you are entitled to a maintenance grant from Student Finance England wherever in the UK you are studying.

Ah well. It's what noodles and cheap cider are for anyway.

Cheers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Claire.

Thanks very much.

I think I have answered my own question. I just went through the application on SFE and she is indeed eligible for a reduced non-means-tested maintenance allowance of £2324 which has now been applied for.

She is studying in Edinburgh, and those living costs are for university-run student accommodation!

So to clarify, if anyone is studying healthcare and is entitled to a bursary and paid tuition fees you are entitled to a maintenance grant from Student Finance England wherever in the UK you are studying.

Ah well. It's what noodles and cheap cider are for anyway.

Cheers.

Hi:smile:
i was under the impression that SFE only gave out the reduced loan if you had nhs bursary funding for it, rather than SAAS funding bursary (as the nhs bursary is highly means tested,you re only guaranteed 1k, whereas i m not sure the SAAS funding one has as strict rules and SAAS offer a bursary that is 2k higher than that of NHS bursaries).
Although any sfe/ sfw guides i ve read are a little vague on that ( i m a welsh student doing a nursing degree in england) so I d get your daughter to give SFE a call, especially as they don't have the best reputation with assessing NHS loans correctly.

University run accommodation never is cheap, i got out of it as soon as i possibly could:P The situation should be better for your daughter in second year with sharing houses and the like hopefully:smile:
Reply 4
I have emailed SAAS, and will get her to contact SFE when she gets back to try and clear it all up.

It is not easy to follow...

Thanks again!
I have emailed SAAS, and will get her to contact SFE when she gets back to try and clear it all up.

It is not easy to follow...

Thanks again!

No problem:smile: they do make nhs courses finance a little confusing to say the least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending