The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on food?

For university students living outside of London, how much do you spend on food per week?

I'm moving to York this September and I'm really curious about living costs. Obviously it varies between students; but I'd like to know how much everyone spends :smile:
Like £30 a week.
Original post by prophetkid
For university students living outside of London, how much do you spend on food per week?I'm moving to York this September and I'm really curious about living costs. Obviously it varies between students; but I'd like to know how much everyone spends

I spend about £30-£35 a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
£40 at worst for 2 of us, we do use lidl for everything though
£20.week avg.
£20-25
Original post by prophetkid
For university students living outside of London, how much do you spend on food per week?

I'm moving to York this September and I'm really curious about living costs. Obviously it varies between students; but I'd like to know how much everyone spends :smile:

I started off spending around £25 per week, I shopped at smaller supermarkets and places that do better deals and cheaper food e.g. Aldi etc.

After a while though, I started to do a joint shop with some of the people in my halls and there was like four of us splitting a shop together. This worked out cheaper and with what we brought it lasted longer as well, because also we were sharing food and cooking meals together. This turned out a better alternative.
Therefore, I'd suggest doing this if possible!
I can do a weekly shop and eat really healthily for less than a tenner, averaging about £9 (but I am a vegetarian who bulk cooks meals from scratch, so that probably helps), but by the time I've factored in lunches in the SU and dinners out, nearer £20-£30 on some (but certainly not all) weeks.
Reply 8
I get a £70-£80 online shop from my parents once a fortnight, so I get a good amount and quality food in that. I then probably spend between £5-£25 on the other two weeks.

But I've got friends who only spend £15 on food every week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending