The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Cambridge Maths Offer Situation?

I have been given an offer of A*A*A11(Maths,Further Maths,Physics and STEP II-III) but I am expecting A*A*A32 with an A* in Additional Further Maths but there is still a reasonable chance of missing those A Level grades, in particular the Physics A Grade.

I can probably hope for at best 22 for the STEP exams, which would give me a small chance of getting in for Maths but
basically I am screwed.I am concerned about how quickly Cambridge will totally reject me from the pool so that I can sort out my Insurance Durham and the Accommodation for it, assuming that I meet A*AA.

I have heard of people getting alternative offers in Natural Science/Economics?Anyone know how common this is? and whether I should accept the others or not?and if I did do Natural Science what would be the best options?In all likelihood I am probably destined to go to Durham for Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dalek1099
I have been given an offer of A*A*A11(Maths,Further Maths,Physics and STEP II-III) but I am expecting A*A*A32 with an A* in Additional Further Maths but there is still a reasonable chance of missing those A Level grades, in particular the Physics A Grade.

I can probably hope for at best 22 for the STEP exams, which would give me a small chance of getting in for Maths but
basically I am screwed.I am concerned about how quickly Cambridge will totally reject me from the pool so that I can sort out my Insurance Durham and the Accommodation for it, assuming that I meet A*AA.

I have heard of people getting alternative offers in Natural Science/Economics?Anyone know how common this is? and whether I should accept the others or not?and if I did do Natural Science what would be the best options?In all likelihood I am probably destined to go to Durham for Maths.

In truth if you do get 2,2 in Step I think it unlikely that you will get pooled and so you will find track updates and Durham commit to their insurance offer. I wouldn't expect that Economics or NatSci would give you an offer at this late stage. Even if you reapplied the lack of Chemistry or an Essay subject, or evidence of interest would make neither subject a dead cert for an offer.
Durham is a great university, the workload is less, you'll probably get a first not a 2:2 and your job prospects will therefore be as good if not better than struggling on Cambridge Maths. I would be proud that you got an offer, but not mourn the place too much.

I think if those 2s are in 5 marks then you stand a good chance. If they are mid to low then probably not. I have come to face the reality of getting a 2 in step III aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by physicsmaths
I think if those 2s are in 5 marks then you stand a good chance. If they are mid to low then probably not. I have come to face the reality of getting a 2 in step III aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would probably almost certainly be low 2s:angry:
Reply 4
Original post by Colmans
In truth if you do get 2,2 in Step I think it unlikely that you will get pooled and so you will find track updates and Durham commit to their insurance offer. I wouldn't expect that Economics or NatSci would give you an offer at this late stage. Even if you reapplied the lack of Chemistry or an Essay subject, or evidence of interest would make neither subject a dead cert for an offer.
Durham is a great university, the workload is less, you'll probably get a first not a 2:2 and your job prospects will therefore be as good if not better than struggling on Cambridge Maths. I would be proud that you got an offer, but not mourn the place too much.

I doubt the lack of Chemistry would matter that much (Maths,Further Maths and Physics is one of their most preferred options for NatSci).

I did Geography AS and I can explain that I wanted to do Economics but couldn't because it clashed with Further Maths and Maths and Further Maths are both very good for Economics.

I have heard of people who have got places in NatSci/Economics from failing the Maths offer as they interviewed well and have great A Level grades.I am not sure whether I would accept Economics yet but after doing some research I would accept NatSci at Cambridge.
Reply 5
I doubt the lack of Chemistry would matter that much (Maths,Further Maths and Physics is one of their most preferred options for NatSci).

I did Geography AS and I can explain that I wanted to do Economics but couldn't because it clashed with Further Maths and Maths and Further Maths are both very good for Economics.

I have heard of people who have got places in NatSci/Economics from failing the Maths offer as they interviewed well and have great A Level grades.I am not sure whether I would accept Economics yet but after doing some research I would accept NatSci at Cambridge.

Fine. If you knew the answer, I'm not sure why you asked the question. I did Economics at Cambridge and I didn't come across anybody who had got any offer through the summer pool, let alone from a different subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Colmans
Fine. If you knew the answer, I'm not sure why you asked the question. I did Economics at Cambridge and I didn't come across anybody who had got any offer through the summer pool, let alone from a different subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to know my chances and I know that I am in a position to receive a NatSci offer but I don't know how likely it is.I also could get an Economics one too be fair the lack of an essay subject would hinder my chances of they allowing me to do it but I can argue that I didn't get a chance to study it.I have seen quite a few people on here that have got NatSci from failing a Maths offer and one for Economics, I should probably check to see if I can find out what subjects they took.

I am assuming that its very rare because most of the courses are still very oversubscribed and very popular like Maths but I needed to be prepared for all things that could happen on results day.
Reply 7
I wanted to know my chances and I know that I am in a position to receive a NatSci offer but I don't know how likely it is.I also could get an Economics one too be fair the lack of an essay subject would hinder my chances of they allowing me to do it but I can argue that I didn't get a chance to study it.I have seen quite a few people on here that have got NatSci from failing a Maths offer and one for Economics, I should probably check to see if I can find out what subjects they took.

I am assuming that its very rare because most of the courses are still very oversubscribed and very popular like Maths but I needed to be prepared for all things that could happen on results day.

This does depend on you not missing the Physics A grade and personally I would say you would be at a huge disadvantage without an A*. Typical post-qual applicants for science degrees have A*A*A* or better.

It is certainly not the case that a significant number of those who miss their step offer get a place on Physical NatSci. I am willing to bet that those who do probably have Chemistry or at least have A*A*A* with maybe extenuating circumstances.

It may be worth considering Engineering which is less competitive-if your mechanics modules are good? Even so you must remember the alternative subject offer is a very uncommon route. Probably rarer than a tendency to be too pessimistic about one's results. Good Luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Colmans
This does depend on you not missing the Physics A grade and personally I would say you would be at a huge disadvantage without an A*. Typical post-qual applicants for science degrees have A*A*A* or better.

It is certainly not the case that a significant number of those who miss their step offer get a place on Physical NatSci. I am willing to bet that those who do probably have Chemistry or at least have A*A*A* with maybe extenuating circumstances.

It may be worth considering Engineering which is less competitive-if your mechanics modules are good? Even so you must remember the alternative subject offer is a very uncommon route. Probably rarer than a tendency to be too pessimistic about one's results. Good Luck!

I wouldn't consider Engineering it wouldn't be suitable for me and isn't something I want to do for a career.I would have Additional Further Maths though so I am expecting A*A*A*A.I think I will check whether the people who were allowed to take Natural Science at Cambridge had Chemistry.I do have an AS in Geography to help me with the Earth Science.
Reply 9
I wouldn't consider Engineering it wouldn't be suitable for me and isn't something I want to do for a career.I would have Additional Further Maths though so I am expecting A*A*A*A.I think I will check whether the people who were allowed to take Natural Science at Cambridge had Chemistry.I do have an AS in Geography to help me with the Earth Science.

There is no doubt that people applying post-qualification with 3A* get offers for NatSci without offering Chemistry. As I understood your question you were talking about getting an alternative course offer through the summer pool if you miss your STEP offer. This is a completely different question.

Very many engineering students do not become engineers in the same way that most humanities students don't follow a "vocational" outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
To put it fairly bluntly, it's unlikely that you'd be taken in for maths especially if you miss your STEP grades. Your best bet would be to see if they'd consider you for Natural Sciences although this can be very rare and dependent on your interview/application.

If you are really close to the 1,1 border (by about 2/3 marks) then you could be considered but this depends on how many people within your college have missed their STEP grades
Reply 11
Original post by Colmans
There is no doubt that people applying post-qualification with 3A* get offers for NatSci without offering Chemistry. As I understood your question you were talking about getting an alternative course offer through the summer pool if you miss your STEP offer. This is a completely different question.

Very many engineering students do not become engineers in the same way that most humanities students don't follow a "vocational" outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking about getting the NatSci alternative course through a phone call following me failing my offer and having a discussion with the college, I think you could get offered it from the Summer Pool too but I think the first arrangement is more common.
No one here can tell you whether you're going to get in or not.

You don't know your grades and you don't know how many near misses there are, and you need both to rule Cambridge out (so stop it).

Find something to take your mind off things and remember both Durham and Cambridge are fantastic universities and you're probably going to have a fantastic time wherever you end up.
I was talking about getting the NatSci alternative course through a phone call following me failing my offer and having a discussion with the college, I think you could get offered it from the Summer Pool too but I think the first arrangement is more common.

It doesn't work like that. A place offered to you on a phone call is in competition with others who have missed their offers including other mathmos, NatSci and more worthy candidates from other colleges.they are not desperate to fill places at any cost from those who previously showed no interest in a different course. Still you seem to know more than those of us who have been there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Colmans
It doesn't work like that. A place offered to you on a phone call is in competition with others who have missed their offers including other mathmos, NatSci and more worthy candidates from other colleges.they are not desperate to fill places at any cost from those who previously showed no interest in a different course. Still you seem to know more than those of us who have been there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1372511&x=0&y=0 (post 3)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1741843&page=134 (post 2668)

It seems that getting transferred to another course often happens through phone call.People who miss the STEP offer are still some of the best applicants at the University(as Maths is the hardest course at the University) and they have great A Level grades usually so its obvious why they want to transfer quite a lot to easier courses that they are good enough for.I still do think its pretty unlikely to get onto an alternative course but there is still hope.

It seems that getting transferred to another course often happens through phone call.People who miss the STEP offer are still some of the best applicants at the University(as Maths is the hardest course at the University) and they have great A Level grades usually so its obvious why they want to transfer quite a lot to easier courses that they are good enough for.I still do think its pretty unlikely to get onto an alternative course but there is still hope.

I'm not sure that stories about people who got 5A* getting alternative offers give much hope for somebody who says they may get A* in maths subjects and A/B in Physics. However if it helps you to hope then do. In your place I would hope that I still got good grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the top paragraph is entirely true, natural sciences students usually study 2 science subjects (excluding maths) in detail, for example biology and physics, biology and chemistry. Why are you set on maths? Maybe look into doing a physics degree as there are more practicals involved? Just some suggestions
You won't be able to change course (unless you decide to reapply next year).

Unfortunately, I doubt a 2,2 will get you in, I have heard of people getting S,2 and being accepted but not with 2,2.
Reply 18

Are you willing to change your course just for the university? I'm not saying you should (or shouldn't), I'm just curious. You seem very dedicated for a Maths degree from your other posts.
It seems like you want reassurance on your position as oppose to answers.
Maybe you should check out how many offers were given for Natsci and see how many they normally take on board from previous years. This will probably give you an idea on how many are likely to miss their offer. As the standard offer increased for our year, maybe more will miss their offer. But then again, the average science offer holder achieves like 2.75 A*s. I'm just speculating though.
I mean you have a chance so just stay positive!
Reply 19
Original post by Conor Walsh
I don't think the top paragraph is entirely true, natural sciences students usually study 2 science subjects (excluding maths) in detail, for example biology and physics, biology and chemistry. Why are you set on maths? Maybe look into doing a physics degree as there are more practicals involved? Just some suggestions

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

It is one of the preferred subject choices under the A Levels section.In the first year of Natural Sciences you pick 4 subjects and Maths,Further Maths and Physics actually open you up to lots of choices including choices that don't require any specific subject.I would plan on studying Maths,Physics,Computer Science and Earth Science the first 3 only really need Maths and Physics(Further Maths is very useful) and Earth Science doesn't require any prerequisite knowledge but I do have a Geography AS to help.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending