The Student Room Group

Arm Implant Question?

hey I'm 18 and loaning to get the arm implant tomorrow as my boyfriend and me have been together for nearly a full year and are thinking of going to the "next level"

I would just like to know about the arm implant, as stupid as it may sound: I worry that I'll get pregnant. Such as, what if we are having s*x and then he ejaculates without taking it out in time. I don't want to sound dirty or anything but that really worries me, what are the chances? My 23 year old friend has the implant and has had it for over 4 years, she said even if the guy does ejaculate inside, it's fine.just want to know from experience please, thank you!
Original post by JemAllen9
hey I'm 18 and loaning to get the arm implant tomorrow as my boyfriend and me have been together for nearly a full year and are thinking of going to the "next level"

I would just like to know about the arm implant, as stupid as it may sound: I worry that I'll get pregnant. Such as, what if we are having s*x and then he ejaculates without taking it out in time. I don't want to sound dirty or anything but that really worries me, what are the chances? My 23 year old friend has the implant and has had it for over 4 years, she said even if the guy does ejaculate inside, it's fine.just want to know from experience please, thank you!

the implant is above 99% successful(its less than 1 out of a 1000 woman that get pregnant on it) so the chance is so low you've nothing to worry about really, never used it myself but any friends have never had any worries or issues on it.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
the implant is above 99% successful(its less than 1 out of a 1000 woman that get pregnant on it) so the chance is so low you've nothing to worry about really, never used it myself but any friends have never had any worries or issues on it.

That's fantastic! Brilliant to know, thank you so much. But what if the guy ejaculates but doesn't.. Pull it out in time? What are the risks of pregnancy from that? Sorry...
That's fantastic! Brilliant to know, thank you so much. But what if the guy ejaculates but doesn't.. Pull it out in time? What are the risks of pregnancy from that? Sorry...

the 99% success rate covers that, there's next to no risk as the implant in most cases stops you from ovulating and no eggs no pregnancy basically.
Even if he ejaculates inside you it's still 99% effective. If you're that worried about it use condom too. That and do research on birth control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by donutaud15
Even if he ejaculates inside you it's still 99% effective. If you're that worried about it use condom too. That and do research on birth control.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, haha thank you! Sorry
For some reason when I read the title I thought you wanted to get a whole new arm or get muscle implants in your arm xD.
Anyway, the arm implant, I think is meant to be one of the safest, better than the pill, I'm sure. It's not 100%, but no contraception can ever claim that.
You will probably be fine, if you get pregnant it's just tough luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
99% effective means that for every 100 women who use it as birth control in a given year, without using anything else, less than 1 will get pregnant. It's supposed to be the most effective birth control there is, because once it's in you don't have to do or remember anything. With the implant, you almost certainly will not get pregnant, whatever you do.
Reply 8
Also, I'm not aiming this at you, but at your school - you've clearly had awful sex education. A good place to start on catching up is NHS choices.

The last guy I dated we always had sex without condoms, and 90% of the time he would cum inside. Never had a pregnancy scare.

I'm back on the pill because the implant made my periods too irregular/worse.

You really shouldn't worry though it'd be extremely unlikely that you'd get pregnant.
Reply 10
In my (our) experience it's a great method of contraception. Nothing to remember and few side effects it seems. The whole point is you can 'blow your beans' inside and the risk of pregnancy is extremely low. Wish a similar device could be developed for guys.
Okay, so, the implant is among various hormonal methods of contraception (others being the pill, the injection, the patch, and the coil (though there is a non-hormonal coil too)). These are called hormonal because they release hormones into your system which prevent you from ovulating (releasing an egg). As no eggs are released, it is not possible for you to become pregnant even when a guy ejaculates inside you, because there is nothing for the sperm to fertilise.

HOWEVER

No hormonal method of contraception will guarantee that you will not fall pregnant, though they are more than 99% effective, so realistically there is no need to use condoms in conjuction with them unless the condom is to protect against STDs or you would like that extra level of protection against pregnancy.

If the implant would be the first form of hormonal contraception you've been on, I would recommend that you do a lot of research on it, as it can affect women very differently, particularly in how they experience their periods. You may stop having periods while you have the injection, which isn't very reassuring when you want to see evidence that you're not pregnant!

I started - and have stayed - on the pill. I like that I bleed between packs of it so that I know I'm not pregnant, and that I can run packs together if it would be inconvenient to have a period at the usual time (e.g. if I'm going on a beach holiday). As long as you can trust yourself to remember to take it every day, you won't have any problems. And if you suffer any adverse side effects (research on possible side effects should be part of your decision as to which contraceptive will be best for you) it's easier to switch to a different pill than it is to a different implant.

Just get informed, then chat to your doctor.
Reply 12
Original post by juliam
Also, I'm not aiming this at you, but at your school - you've clearly had awful sex education. A good place to start on catching up is NHS choices.

Don't worry haha, I'm aware how bad my high school was... All we were taught was how to put a condom on and what type of STI's/STD's there are. But thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Musie Suzie
Okay, so, the implant is among various hormonal methods of contraception (others being the pill, the injection, the patch, and the coil (though there is a non-hormonal coil too)). These are called hormonal because they release hormones into your system which prevent you from ovulating (releasing an egg). As no eggs are released, it is not possible for you to become pregnant even when a guy ejaculates inside you, because there is nothing for the sperm to fertilise.

HOWEVER

No hormonal method of contraception will guarantee that you will not fall pregnant, though they are more than 99% effective, so realistically there is no need to use condoms in conjuction with them unless the condom is to protect against STDs or you would like that extra level of protection against pregnancy.

If the implant would be the first form of hormonal contraception you've been on, I would recommend that you do a lot of research on it, as it can affect women very differently, particularly in how they experience their periods. You may stop having periods while you have the injection, which isn't very reassuring when you want to see evidence that you're not pregnant!

I started - and have stayed - on the pill. I like that I bleed between packs of it so that I know I'm not pregnant, and that I can run packs together if it would be inconvenient to have a period at the usual time (e.g. if I'm going on a beach holiday). As long as you can trust yourself to remember to take it every day, you won't have any problems. And if you suffer any adverse side effects (research on possible side effects should be part of your decision as to which contraceptive will be best for you) it's easier to switch to a different pill than it is to a different implant.

Just get informed, then chat to your doctor.

Thank you !! Its really helpful, over researched a lot. Side affects are : implant induced ache, headaches, odd spotting, mood swings and worse pains/ heavier bleeding. Thank you for explaining it!!
Thank you !! Its really helpful, over researched a lot. Side affects are : implant induced ache, headaches, odd spotting, mood swings and worse pains/ heavier bleeding. Thank you for explaining it!!

You're welcome - glad I could be helpful. Yep, implant can cause spotting/constant light bleeding/no periods at all. Very unpredictable, unfortunately.
I'm about to have mine taken out, it has moved about in my arm, caused me to gain about 10 lbs and has made all he hair on my body grown thicker and faster, this is the 2nd implant of a different brand. The first one gave me such awful side affects. i developed anxiety and depression and it took 6 months for my doctor to realise that it might be because of my implant, and only because my mum suggested it to the doctor after reading about the connection on Mumsnet.

The only trouble of getting the implant and then deciding it's not for you is the waiting you may have to do to take it out, unlike the pill which you can just stop yourself at anytime. I have a tattoos and piercing so don't find the process of insertion/removal too traumatic but i can see how others would.

I'm considereding going back onto the pill as i have been on it before or maybe the depo injection. But from personal experience contraception is just a personal and dependant thing it's almost not worth asking other people how they found it as i have friend who love their implants. so don't worry if you think the implant my not be suitable, it's very common. and also don't worry that you may have a similar experience to me, we're all so different.i have been using contraception for 5 years and have still found nothing that completely works for me, it's a minefeild out their. Good Luck honey....xx

I'm the same as you, and I got my implant on the 28th may. :smile: If you want to be extra safe, just use a condom. No birth control is 100% effective and it is risky no matter what time of the month you have sex. But from what I read somewhere it's a 0.05% chance of getting pregnant or so. (might want to double check it though)

Also, well done on being responsible and feeling ready to take your relationship to the next level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest