The Student Room Group

How do you feel about the situation in Calais?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TeeEm
I merely feed some coal into the fire and try to point a different view.

The conversation in question, definitely made me think.

A view which is flawed and ridiculous?
Reply 21
Original post by SeaPony
A view which is flawed and ridiculous?

you are entitled to your opinion
Reply 22
Original post by TeeEm
you are entitled to your opinion

And so are you:wink:
Original post by Eve99
well i'm afraid that's not good enough.

Give them to ISIS. make them ****ing useful instead of hopping into the backs of trucks.

So send people to their death is that what you're saying ?
Reply 24
Original post by goobypls
So send people to their death is that what you're saying ?

I am sure a sizeable percentage would probably join islamic state not be killed by it.
Original post by SeaPony
I am sure a sizeable percentage would probably join islamic state not be killed by it.

And that is better, how exactly?
Reply 26
Original post by minimarshmallow
And that is better, how exactly?

If they joined islamic state they would get blown up anyway in the long term... just illustrating the type of people down in Calais.
Original post by SeaPony
If they joined islamic state they would get blown up anyway in the long term... just illustrating the type of people down in Calais.

So still sending them to their deaths, just getting them to possibly cause other deaths first...
Reply 28
Original post by SeaPony
So we have to be destroyed because of what any empire does (European and non European) did in the past?

You don't have to but you will because that is how nature works. You took all the wealth out of their lands so now they are gravitating to where the wealth is. You taught them English to boot so they have double reason to want to come here. If you don't see how colonialism is the cause of this then you have your head in the sand.
Reply 29
So still sending them to their deaths, just getting them to possibly cause other deaths first...

I am saying if they die while being part of Islamic State then that is a positive. One less terrorist.
Why can't France arrest them and deport them back to where they came from or if they have granted them asylum then it's Frances duty to keep and house them there. Despite having an immigrant background myself these stories make me annoyed. This puts a very bad image on ethnic minorities. I don't buy their crap about being from war zones and not being able to go back because if that is case why is it I see overwhelmingly adult men, where are the women and children? How are they surviving back home? If their country is a war zone they should man up and fight for their land and be useful. Running away from it is selfish and will not bring peace to the world.

I'm not against immigration but it must be controlled. If anyone is to come here they should come in a legitimate way. I also feel our government isn't doing enough to stop people from coming into the country.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Plutonian
You don't have to but you will because that is how nature works. You took all the wealth out of their lands so now they are gravitating to where the wealth is. You taught them English to boot so they have double reason to want to come here. If you don't see how colonialism is the cause of this then you have your head in the sand.

If we never colonised Africa then they would still be coming.
The vast majority are economic migrants, trying to get to the UK for a better life. Send these home. Those who are genuine asylum seekers should be treated as international law states. Find out the route that took from their home country, then send them to the first safe country they passed through. This is legally where they have to claim asylum, not here where they'll get better benefits. It's quite simple really. There's just too many politicians who haven't got the balls to do this, and too many do gooders who would kick up a stink if they did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Original post by SeaPony
I am saying if they die while being part of Islamic State then that is a positive. One less terrorist.

But if they wouldn't have joined IS unless you sent them back, how does this make sense?
I repeat, how is that better?

And if it's a sizeable percentage, then it's also a sizeable percentage of innocent people being sent to their deaths along with a sizeable percentage of potential (key word there) terrorists also being sent to their deaths.
Reply 34
But if they wouldn't have joined IS unless you sent them back, how does this make sense?
I repeat, how is that better?

And if it's a sizeable percentage, then it's also a sizeable percentage of innocent people being sent to their deaths along with a sizeable percentage of potential (key word there) terrorists also being sent to their deaths.

I would not want that to happen I am simply saying that if it did and they joined then I certainly won't be crying when they die.
Here is SotonianOne's European Union Asylum Policy (European Union being "here" hereonforth)

If you come from a nation which is ravaged by conflict (under my discretion what defines conflict: Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia) - NOT Palestine, as that is not war. NOT Pakistan or Nigeria, as in both nations the Southern part of their nations is completely safe.

- You will be given a tent in a designated area somewhere in Bulgaria or Romania where no one lives, along with money to buy food. No houses, no jobs, no education.
-- When the conflict is over, you will be sent back to your country

If you come from a nation which purges your sexuality
- You may be allowed to settle in Eastern EU with the status of an immigrant

If you come from a nation which purges Christianity

If you come from a nation which is safe
- You will be deported back to Libya and your nation will be fined for sending out Coastguards and bothering the EU.

Eastern EU needs a repopulation from the emigration to the West.

Thank you, good bye. Politicians please take note.
Reply 36
Original post by SotonianOne
Here is SotonianOne's European Union Asylum Policy (European Union being "here" hereonforth)

If you come from a nation which is ravaged by conflict (under my discretion what defines conflict: Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia) - NOT Palestine, as that is not war. NOT Pakistan or Nigeria, as in both nations the Southern part of their nations is completely safe.

- You will be given a tent in a designated area somewhere in Bulgaria or Romania where no one lives, along with money to buy food. No houses, no jobs, no education.
-- When the conflict is over, you will be sent back to your country

If you come from a nation which purges your sexuality

If you come from a nation which purges Christianity

If you come from a nation which is safe
- You will be deported back to Libya and your nation will be fined for sending out Coastguards and bothering the EU.

Eastern EU needs a repopulation from the emigration to the West.

Thank you, good bye. Politicians please take note.

They would still move to other countries. They don't just want to be safe they want money.
Meh, send a proper British contingent, pay for proper lighting and surveillance, and make being caught trespassing on the harbour/eurotunnel site punishable with being shot.

I think the UK could police these places nicely, just take some of the millions wasted on foreign aid to wealthy countries and spend it there.

In all seriousness though the issue is that both France and the UK are shirking their responsibilities.

france should be able to police it's own borders but the UK should provide more support.

I'd think France's claim the UK welfare provision is too generous to migrants but since the EU makes a point to trying to impede any UK attempt to restrict them it's a bit more nuanced.

As the French say, C'est la vie.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by SeaPony
If we never colonised Africa then they would still be coming.

We get very few immigrants from places like Zimbabwe even though we did colonize it. Why? Because their leader hates the West. Believing that people run here just because "West is best" is a very arrogant view. I read a book about Africa not long ago, we actually actively encouraged immigration at one point, ship Nigerian and Ghanaian kids over here, teach them the English way so that they keep the status quo in Africa.
Reply 39
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Meh, send a proper British contingent, pay for proper lighting and surveillance, and make trespassing on the harbour/eurotunnel site punishable with being shot.

I think the UK could police these places nicely, just take some of the millions wasted on foreign aid to wealthy countries and spend it there.

Would not agree with shooting them but 100% deport them ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending