The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordan\
I got a little bit of insight into the marking of STEP on Friday btw

Mind sharing? Has anything novel/new come to light?
Original post by Zacken
Mind sharing? Has anything novel/new come to light?

Well it's marked by graduates at Cambridge and some DoSs etc. all in the CMS, with people assigned to one question each, so there might be 4-5 assigned to question one as it's generally quite popular and there is a very precise marks scheme for each showing where all the marks are given, except there are generally more B marks in STEP skills said, and accuracy marks and method marks usually come together at that level.

He still says that 4 good questions will give you a 1, although boundaries differ it generally works that way and he begged is not to ever attempt more than 6 questions, but to go slowly through the algebra and to always "decompartmentalise" with questions.

If you run out of time on questions always try to write what you would have done if you didn't have time/ got stuck and do it in bullet points as although this might not give any marks ( although at times it might, but in general all the head markers like to see a good ATTEMPT at a method before rewarding marks for it) it may help your case in Cambridge if you are to miss your offer and the DoS at your college sees your thinking.

He also emphasised making your work neat. Leaving room between everything, using the correct mathematical language and lining up equals signs on a page so it looks presentable and readable!

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask them to try and jog my memory as to what else was said lol
Original post by Jordan\
x

Oh cool, I didn't know about that before. I can picture the CMS building in my head right now, I visited it once. :biggrin:

That seems to align with the one STEP markscheme we have, although thanks for elaborating on the writing what you might have done. :smile:
Original post by Jordan\
Well it's marked by graduates at Cambridge and some DoSs etc. all in the CMS, with people assigned to one question each, so there might be 4-5 assigned to question one as it's generally quite popular and there is a very precise marks scheme for each showing where all the marks are given, except there are generally more B marks in STEP skills said, and accuracy marks and method marks usually come together at that level.

He still says that 4 good questions will give you a 1, although boundaries differ it generally works that way and he begged is not to ever attempt more than 6 questions, but to go slowly through the algebra and to always "decompartmentalise" with questions.

If you run out of time on questions always try to write what you would have done if you didn't have time/ got stuck and do it in bullet points as although this might not give any marks ( although at times it might, but in general all the head markers like to see a good ATTEMPT at a method before rewarding marks for it) it may help your case in Cambridge if you are to miss your offer and the DoS at your college sees your thinking.

He also emphasised making your work neat. Leaving room between everything, using the correct mathematical language and lining up equals signs on a page so it looks presentable and readable!

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask them to try and jog my memory as to what else was said lol

Somewhere in one of the examiner reports (can remember which though), it's says no marks are given for writing down what you would do. However, if you were a borderline case it may work in your favor (if the DoS sees it)
Original post by Gome44
Somewhere in one of the examiner reports (can remember which though), it's says no marks are given for writing down what you would do. However, if you were a borderline case it may work in your favor (if the DoS sees it)

I've never read on but I'm just repeating what Stephen Siklos said himself - he also said that if you do get stuck it's a good idea to write down what you're trying but to do anyway as it may come clear to you what you're doing wrong/ what needs to be done by doing so; something that he does a lot himself. And, if you are a borderline case he said all STEP papers are looked at again in that case and if the DoS wants to he can use your script as the reason to admit you.
Original post by Alex:
CLT is in Edexcel I think?

But generating functions I don't think is in the A-level spec.

I think generating functions are still part of OCR (or possibly MEI, can't remember which!).

Well worth looking at them - probably the most interesting part of A level probabillity! Get hold of an old Edexcel S5 book if you can.
Original post by davros
I think generating functions are still part of OCR (or possibly MEI, can't remember which!).

Well worth looking at them - probably the most interesting part of A level probabillity! Get hold of an old Edexcel S5 book if you can.

Is there any assumed knowledge for generating functions?
Original post by Jordan\
Is there any assumed knowledge for generating functions?

I haven't looked at them for a while, but from what I remember you need to be able to manipulate (infinite) series, and do basic calculus, be comfortable with exponentials etc, Nothing too horrible!
What colleges give out 1,2 offers and under what circumstances?
Original post by Jordan\
What colleges give out 1,2 offers and under what circumstances?

Girton give it out as standard, not sure how/why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Girton give it out as standard, not sure how/why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in everyone that applys there gets an offer for that?!
Original post by Jordan\
As in everyone that applys there gets an offer for that?!

Well thats there standard offer people prob get 1,1 aswell for an offer as fotz standard offer is 1,1 though few people got S,1 offers so majority get the standard one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Renzhi will be... if anyone else ia doing step this year and wants to join the chat, let me know :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol bit late to this, but mind if I also join?
Original post by IDValour
Lol bit late to this, but mind if I also join?

Not at all :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could I join as well? I'll probably be doing STEP I/II :smile:
Original post by Krollo
Renzhi will be... if anyone else ia doing step this year and wants to join the chat, let me know :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to be doing STEP 1 to 3, this year. Could i be added to this chat? :tongue:
Original post by rcmehta
Could I join as well? I'll probably be doing STEP I/II :smile:

Original post by Joshthemathmo
I'm going to be doing STEP 1 to 3, this year. Could i be added to this chat? :tongue:

Come, one and all :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The chat was getting a bit full, so I've moved to a proper FB group. Try searching 'Step Preparation 2016'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the solution for STEP I 2001, Q8 incorrect? They seem to have used cos^2(x/2) instead of cos^2(x^2/2). I'm also not too sure how they got y = acos^2(x/2) + bsin^2(x/2).
Original post by rcmehta
Is the solution for STEP I 2001, Q8 incorrect? They seem to have used cos^2(x/2) instead of cos^2(x^2/2). I'm also not too sure how they got y = acos^2(x/2) + bsin^2(x/2).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44696855&postcount=113

Latest

Trending

Trending