The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
Wow amazing! Im guessing you were in the post 100 club then for that paper :wink:
I should really look more at the applied qs, never done one in my mock before! Q14 looks meaty for a stats question. If it was a person I reckon it would be a large american guy who loves his steak called "Big Bubba" or something :wink:

I'm dying at "Big Bubba" lmao :rofl: PRSOM
Original post by Zacken
I'm dying at "Big Bubba" lmao :rofl: PRSOM

How'd you find the mock then? Which Qs?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
How'd you find the mock then? Which Qs?

I'll post my thoughts when I'm back home. It was a nice paper, though.
Original post by Zacken
I'll post my thoughts when I'm back home. It was a nice paper, though.

Don't you do your mocks at home?
Don't you do your mocks at home?

Yeah, I did. But I had to leave as soon as I finished.
Could I get a hint for II 1994 Q4 Part 2? Struggling to see where the arcsin(c/a) has come from! Also if anyone's done this question, what did you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Could I get a hint for II 1994 Q4 Part 2? Struggling to see where the arcsin(c/a) has come from! Also if anyone's done this question, what did you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do this today give me 30 mins then ill start it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For STEP I 2014 Q 6 final part,

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
How'd you find the mock then?

Spoiler

Original post by physicsmaths
I will do this today give me 30 mins then ill start it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nevermind got it in the end, not sure about the last part though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Nice
Wat pper is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Meh it's alright I guess, should be enough to get you a 1 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Nice
Wat pper is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

II, 2007

Original post by jjsnyder
Meh it's alright I guess, should be enough to get you a 1 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
Original post by sweeneyrod
For STEP I 2014 Q 6 final part, do you need to explicitly state that the sequence is {1, 3, -1, -1, -1, ...} or would you get the marks for just putting the nth term?

I think you'd lose a mark for not stating that the sine term is zero for n > 1. So if you give the nth term and state n > 1 means sine is 0, then you'd get all the marks.
Original post by Zacken
I think you'd lose a mark for not stating that the sine term is zero for n > 1. So if you give the nth term and state n > 1 means sine is 0, then you'd get all the marks.

Cool, thanks.
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Spoiler

Yeah, I tend to always start off my mocks in order, so doing Q1,2,3 if I can, even if I like the look of something else, I kind of "save it for later"

Q7 was lovely! It was the first thing I tried as well and it was so good. :biggrin:

For Q4, you'll want to shoot me. I didn't think of doing what you did, I only realised after and it was so simple. :facepalm: I collected sin3x3cos3x=Rsin(3xα)\sin 3x - \sqrt{3}\cos 3x = R\sin(3x - \alpha)... :colondollar:
And yeah, the 'trick' was the identity in part (ii). I actually kind of half-grinned at that. :lol:

But yeah, that Q4 thing was annoying. Did you use integration for (iv)? I'm quite happy I spotted the symmetry trick.

Well done to both of us, I think! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I tend to always start off my mocks in order, so doing Q1,2,3 if I can, even if I like the look of something else, I kind of "save it for later"

Q7 was lovely! It was the first thing I tried as well and it was so good. :biggrin:

For Q4, you'll want to shoot me. I didn't think of doing what you did, I only realised after and it was so simple. :facepalm: I collected sin3x3cos3x=Rsin(3xα)\sin 3x - \sqrt{3}\cos 3x = R\sin(3x - \alpha)... :colondollar:
And yeah, the 'trick' was the identity in part (ii). I actually kind of half-grinned at that. :lol:

But yeah, that Q4 thing was annoying. Did you use integration for (iv)? I'm quite happy I spotted the symmetry trick.

Well done to both of us, I think! :smile:

That's what I read on the solutions for Q4, so I thought many people must have done it that way; I certainly prefer my method :biggrin:. But no I don't want to shoot you haha.
Tbf with the similarity between (i) and (ii) I knew the only difference worth putting in would be that (ii) was an identity so I expected it :wink:.
No I didn't use integration, but I feel sorry for those who rushed a little too much and did! I did realise that the symmetry thing must have some significance and it was easy to see that the area was half the rectangle :smile:.

Q4 was actually a ridiculously short question looking back, unless you're stupid like me and start the question using the QUADRATIC FORMULA to get expressions for b and c. When I got the expressions I realised immediately that their simplicity was certainly not a coincidence and made a little 'note to the examiner' that I realised that sum and product of roots would've been much quicker haha.

All in all a great, enjoyable paper :smile:. Gonna do III 2010 tomorrow I think (although possibly will change my mind and do 2004, haven't quite decided yet).
Original post by sweeneyrod
For STEP I 2014 Q 6 final part, do you need to explicitly state that the sequence is {1, 3, -1, -1, -1, ...} or would you get the marks for just putting the nth term?

Plz spoiler such recent papers.
Plz spoiler such recent papers.

I legit started screaming omg spoilers in my head when I saw the date

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending