The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Anyone got any interesting non-STEP algebra/trig/calculus problems for me to try? Not really in the mood for STEP right now.

I have a couple of elementary theorems on Laplace transforms to mind that you could try and derive with little experience with them before if you want :smile: Basically some integration based proofs if you're up for it?
Original post by Zacken
I haven't done it. But I think I know what you're talking about, there was a pretty big fiasco because of that error.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
I haven't done it. But I think I know what you're talking about, there was a pretty big fiasco because of that error.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, at this point, I'm not sure about what we're talking about and I don't want to open the question paper so gonna tag in @physicsmaths for you.
ok wha!? Im just marking my III 2009 mock and on q 3, they say (in reference to evaluating a limit) "alternatively this can be obtained by de L'hopital", so this means we can get credit for L'Hopitals rule in future or...?
Original post by EnglishMuon
ok wha!? Im just marking my III 2009 mock and on q 3, they say (in reference to evaluating a limit) "alternatively this can be obtained by de L'hopital", so this means we can get credit for L'Hopitals rule in future or...?

Yes, you can use L'Hopital or any other sensible mathematical technique in STEP, even if it is not on the syllabus, as long as it is not a "hence", "deduce" etc. question.

This is a bit of a rare occurence since evaluating the limit was pretty straightforward - but normally, no, you wouldn't get credit for it if it trivialises a question. All in all, the general consensus seems to be that using L'Hoptal in STEP is just risky and asking for trouble.

(also, L'Hopital would have taken longer than just taylor expands in that question :tongue: )
Original post by Insight314
Yes, you can use L'Hopital or any other sensible mathematical technique in STEP, even if it is not on the syllabus, as long as it is not a "hence", "deduce" etc. question.

lol ok thanks. This seems like a highly disputed thing as many people I've asked have said I shouldnt which makes sense in a way because Ill be using a more advanced technique to proof something less advanced which seems a little backwards to me, but if it is a valid way to check working/ pick a couple extra marks then thats fine with me :smile:

Original post by Zacken
Also, any ideas on how many marks I would lose for not proving Pn(x) P_{n}(x) is a polynomial of degree n for q7 on that paper?
Also, any ideas on how many marks I would lose for not proving Pn(x) P_{n}(x) is a polynomial of degree n for q7 on that paper?

Ha! I asked that same question, apparently it's worth a fair bit of marks, something like 5/6. :/ I've been meaning to go back and get it done.
Original post by Zacken
Ha! I asked that same question, apparently it's worth a fair bit of marks, something like 5/6. :/ I've been meaning to go back and get it done.

haha well atleast I wasnt the only one :wink:.But yeah, the ms seemed a lot more involved than I thought it should be. I just said "it will be of degree n iff the coefficient from x2xn2 -x^{2}x^{n-2} and 2nxxn1 2nx x^{n-1} from the two terms in the recurrence relation dont cancel. (and true for n=0). But wasnt sure of where to go from there so moved on.

But Im pretty sure I got about 102 on that paper so fairly happy! Thanks for the help!
haha well atleast I wasnt the only one :wink:.But yeah, the ms seemed a lot more involved than I thought it should be. I just said "it will be of degree n iff the coefficient from x2xn2 -x^{2}x^{n-2} and 2nxxn1 2nx x^{n-1} from the two terms in the recurrence relation dont cancel. (and true for n=0). But wasnt sure of where to go from there so moved on.

Yeah, I think there's contradiction involved somewhere as well. :lol:

But Im pretty sure I got about 102 on that paper so fairly happy! Thanks for the help!

Oh wow, well done! :woo:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I think there's contradiction involved somewhere as well. :lol:

Oh wow, well done! :woo:

Haha thanks again ! Its worth getting motivated and doing a decent paper just to see you post this guy :wink:
:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
Haha thanks again ! Its worth getting motivated and doing a decent paper just to see you post this guy :wink:
:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

xD Strategically placed. :rofl:
@physicsmaths, @Krollo

1)How many marks would I lose for not doing last part of Question 2 STEP III 2012?
2)And what about part (iii) of Question 7?
3)How many marks for the first two parts of Question 6 successfully completed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
STEP III 2012 - or also known as the "2 marks off S-grade" ayy lmao

Spoiler

Original post by Insight314
@physicsmaths, @Krollo

1)How many marks would I lose for not doing last part of Question 2 STEP III 2012?
2)And what about part (iii) of Question 7?
3)How many marks for the first two parts of Question 6 successfully completed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Q1 Maybe 7/8
Q2 havent done Q7 on that paper will try tmmrw
Q3 are you saying upto the part of hence or further?
Original post by physicsmaths
Q1 Maybe 7/8
Q2 havent done Q7 on that paper will try tmmrw
Q3 are you saying upto the part of hence or further?

Losing 7/8 marks on Question 1 for not writing down the general solution in the desired form? You are joking right? No more than 2 marks can be lost there. Even A-level doesn't penalise more than 1 mark for not giving the final answer correctly.

I haven't done Question 3 but if you are talking about Question 6, I did it up to the Hence part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending