The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
Unfortunately, every time I try to upload a file, there's always an error (please do take into the account that my desktop is Windows XP).

If you have a smartphone try and post through there on the tsr app, it is much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
If you have a smartphone try and post through there on the tsr app, it is much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I switched to another account. I think it may have been because of the .lnk virus. My desktop is also eight and a half years old so I'm tempted to break the computer (and make it seem like it was an accident) so that my parents can buy a new one.

I might try downloading the TSR app; I've never really thought of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
STEP 2014 Q10.PNGFinally (can't believe it took almost an hour to upload it)... I decided that to upload the second page would take too long.

The question:
Part i) A uniform spherical ball of mass M and radius R is released from rest with its centre a distance H+R above horizontal ground. The coefficient of restitution between the ball and the ground is e. Show that, after bouncing, the centre of the ball reaches a height R+He^2 above the ground (that was easy, took less than a minute).

Part ii) (the difficult part). A second uniform spherical ball, of mass m and radius r, is now released from rest together with the first ball (whose centre is again a distance H+R above the ground when it is released). The two balls are initially one on top of the other, with the second ball (of mass m) above the first. The two balls separate slightly during their fall, with their centres remaining in the same vertical line, so that they collide immediately after the first ball has bounced on the ground. The coefficient of restitution between the balls is also e. The centre of the second ball attains a height h above the ground. Given that R= 0.2, r= 0.05, H= 1.8, h= 4.5, and e= 2/3, determine the value of M/m.
I also have a second page which will be available on request tommorow but that's just using the conservation of momentum (MA+mB= MC+mD) and inserting the values for R, r, H, h and e. (Question 10 of 2014). The working out is mostly on the first page. I don't like the fact that v comes up so many times that it can get confusing (especially in questions where the v of one person is the u of the next stage). Therefore, I used the letters A, B, C and D to represent the velocity of ball 1 before the collision, the velocity of ball 2 before the collision, the velocity of ball 1 after the collision and the velocity of ball 2 after the collision (respectively).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
STEP 2014 Q10.PNGFinally (can't believe it took almost an hour to upload it)... I decided that to upload the second page would take too long.

The question:
Part i) A uniform spherical ball of mass M and radius R is released from rest with its centre a distance H+R above horizontal ground. The coefficient of restitution between the ball and the ground is e. Show that, after bouncing, the centre of the ball reaches a height R+He^2 above the ground (that was easy, took less than a minute).

Part ii) (the difficult part). A second uniform spherical ball, of mass m and radius r, is now released from rest together with the first ball (whose centre is again a distance H+R above the ground when it is released). The two balls are initially one on top of the other, with the second ball (of mass m) above the first. The two balls separate slightly during their fall, with their centres remaining in the same vertical line, so that they collide immediately after the first ball has bounced on the ground. The coefficient of restitution between the balls is also e. The centre of the second ball attains a height h above the ground. Given that R= 0.2, r= 0.05, H= 1.8, h= 4.5, and e= 2/3, determine the value of M/m.
I also have a second page which will be available on request tommorow but that's just using the conservation of momentum (MA+mB= MC+mD) and inserting the values for R, r, H, h and e. (Question 10 of 2014). The working out is mostly on the first page. I don't like the fact that v comes up so many times that it can get confusing (especially in questions where the v of one person is the u of the next stage). Therefore, I used the letters A, B, C and D to represent the velocity of ball 1 before the collision, the velocity of ball 2 before the collision, the velocity of ball 1 after the collision and the velocity of ball 2 after the collision (respectively).

I will do this question, then check to see where you went wrong(try to) later on today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I will do this question, then check to see where you went wrong(try to) later on today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I may have done the direction of velocity the balls in their separation incorrectly. STEP is quite fun though. I'm trying to hit 1 grades by June.
Was just looking at some step papers, not a joke!!! I dint see how it even relates to A level maths. Goojng to require a lot of dedication. Im with you guys lets show the Chinese we can do it too haha. Joking
Original post by john122334455
Was just looking at some step papers, not a joke!!! I dint see how it even relates to A level maths.Goojng to require a lot of dedication. Im with you guys lets show the Chinese we can do it too haha. Joking

How can you not see how it relates to A-Level maths? The questions are very involved, but surely you can identify the terminology and A-Level concepts behind the question. (With exceptions to the STEP III questions that introduce undergrad material and the number theory questions) .
Did my first few STEP III problems today. Exciting...
Original post by Zacken
How can you not see how it relates to A-Level maths? The questions are very involved, but surely you can identify the terminology and A-Level concepts behind the question. (With exceptions to the STEP III questions that introduce undergrad material and the number theory questions) .

Show dem Chinese

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EricPiphany
Did my first few STEP III problems today. Exciting...

Nice, which paper did you look at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Nice, which paper did you look at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first of the new set. I'm not sure what year it was now. The first question started 'find the integral of sech'.
The first of the new set. I'm not sure what year it was now. The first question started 'find the integral of sech'.

Ah yes, 1994, I started that paper this week actually :-) One of the harder step iii's from the nineties imho, though there were a few nice questions -2 and 5 stand out to me. :ahee: What did you try?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Ah yes, 1994, I started that paper this week actually :-) One of the harder step iii's from the nineties imho, though there were a few nice questions -2 and 5 stand out to me. :ahee: What did you try?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't finish 1, most probably because I haven't done much work on reduction formulae yet. Did 2,3,4. Didn't spend too long at it, I'll be back at it for the rest some time :smile:
I couldn't finish 1, most probably because I haven't done much work on reduction formulae yet. Did 2,3,4. Didn't spend too long at it, I'll be back at it for the rest some time :smile:

1 was a bit 'ugly' to be honest - I didn't simplify my answer for the first integral which made everything messy, but it worked after some effort.

3 looks intriguing, but I have appalling spatial awareness lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
1 was a bit 'ugly' to be honest - I didn't simplify my answer for the first integral which made everything messy, but it worked after some effort.

3 looks intriguing, but I have appalling spatial awareness lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found 3 quite straightforward. They could've made it much harder if the equations for the planes had z terms.
Reply 1395
For anyone who has studied statistics, what do you think of STEP statistics questions that are not strictly probability (i.e. the questions that talk about this distribution stuff and what looks like statistics-specific functions)?

Would you say that it's worth learning statistics just for STEP?
Original post by Ecasx
For anyone who has studied statistics, what do you think of STEP statistics questions that are not strictly probability (i.e. the questions that talk about this distribution stuff and what looks like statistics-specific functions)?

Apparently it can be easy sometimes and have a gift quest,thats why I am leanring it. If your looking at step now you have enough time to learn relevant mech and stats so i would go for it tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx

I'll do it. If you have plenty of time do it, but I wouldn't begin my STEP preparetion from stats. First the Pure,then the Mech, finally the Stats.
I'm slightly confused with STEP I 2001 Q5.

The tsr solution is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856635&p=17919245#post17919245

I don't understand the last part. Can someone explain it to me please? :smile:
Original post by AmarPatel98
I'm slightly confused with STEP I 2001 Q5.

The tsr solution is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856635&p=17919245#post17919245

I don't understand the last part. Can someone explain it to me please? :smile:

Dfrank covered it here somewhere recently like last week. Let me find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending