The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R*.
Warwick maths. I don't mind the physics papers, it's just the practical which ruins your chances of a* with the ridiculous grade boundaries.

Getting a 2 in STEP I is easy, tbh. Why not try both?
Original post by R*.
Warwick maths. I don't mind the physics papers, it's just the practical which ruins your chances of a* with the ridiculous grade boundaries.

Hmm take the step papers anyway. But yh recise for physics, they let people in who meet A*A*A and miss step rather then the converse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1782
Original post by DylanJ42
Does STEP count as a maths Super-curricular? Let's say you done 3 STEPs in June and got SSS and next year applied to universities such as UCL, LSE, Imperial (kind of) ie universities that don't involve STEP in the offers. Surely you could write about doing STEP in your personal statement in the same way people write about BMO and extra reading, after all doing 9 hours of unnecessary exams shows you are doing the papers because you enjoy the maths, and are enthusiastic about it :dontknow:

Spoiler

Yes, but the type of person who got SSS wouldn't have difficulties in getting in any numerate degree in this country. (They would also do great in any uni in the world, but eg in the US you have to have a more well-rounded application to have a good chance of succeeding.)
Original post by physicsmaths
A*A*A 111= A*A*A*A*A* IMHO
Imperial will fully respect 1,1,1 in step UCL aswell, not sure about LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I mean, if you are capable of doing STEP, even if the university you are applying to doesn't want it, its surely still beneficial to do it purely because it's in a sense an extra maths a level

Of course I say this knowing it only applies to potential gap year students or students taking STEP alongside AS levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1784
Original post by Zacken

I'm not that good lmao. I'm going to try for a*a*a*1 just to be sure that I meet at least one of their offers
Hmm take the step papers anyway. But yh recise for physics, they let people in who meet A*A*A and miss step rather then the converse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

recently i heard they're getting too many people, so I doubt they still accept people who even slightly miss their offer
Original post by DylanJ42
That's what I mean, if you are capable of doing STEP, even if the university you are applying to doesn't want it, its surely still beneficial to do it purely because it's in a sense an extra maths a level

It is beneficial, but nowhere near as much as you think it is.
Original post by R*.
I'm not that good lmao. I'm going to try for a*a*a*1 just to be sure that I meet at least one of their offers

recently i heard they're getting too many people, so I doubt they still accept people who even slightly miss their offer

They have 3 offers:

A*A*A*
A*A*A + 2
A*AA + 1
Original post by Zacken
You heavily underestimate the difficulty of getting good grades in STEP. SSS or 111 a year early is exceedingly difficult, even the best mathmos I've seen have sat only STEP I early, getting an S.

Studying that hard in your year 12 may also detrimentally affect your other A-Level grades and most, if not all unis would prefer you to have stellar A-Levels than okay A-Levels + good STEP.

I mean hypothetically of course, and I definitely don't underestimate STEP or the difficulty of getting good grades in it for one second, I'm looking forward to getting ripped apart by it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
They have 3 offers:

A*A*A*
A*A*A + 2
A*AA + 1

Warwick also accept A*A*AA without STEP or AEA with A*s in maths and further maths or additional maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R*.

Well I seen it and they do. I seen someone be accepted with A*AAA 3 in step 1, accepted over my A*A*B(physics) 1,1,3 in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1790
Well I seen it and they do. I seen someone be accepted with A*AAA 3 in step 1, accepted over my A*A*B(physics) 1,1,3 in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was this last year or before?
Original post by R*.
Was this last year or before?

The year just gone. 2015 Aug.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1792
The year just gone. 2015 Aug.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn. unlucky. looks like they really hate Bs
Tbh, I don't see why the A*AA +1 in step offer is there for. I doubt there are many people getting grade 1 in step and getting A in FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does the difficulty of 1987-1993 papers differ from recent papers or 2000+?
Original post by JakeThomasLee
Warwick also accept A*A*AA without STEP or AEA with A*s in maths and further maths or additional maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I know - the person I quoted seemed to only be doing 3 A-Levels, which is why I ignored the others. :tongue:
Original post by rcmehta
How does the difficulty of 1987-1993 papers differ from recent papers or 2000+?

Questions are far more variable on those paper + questions not on current syllabus (i.e; complex numbers on STEP I, matrices and group theory on III, etc..) whereas the difficulty of questions on 2000+ are much more constant per paper, but as from 2008+ there's a non-trivial difficulty jump.
Original post by R*.
damn. unlucky. looks like they really hate Bs

I like my girls to have C's, don't like B's either. :wink:
Original post by Zacken

Original post by Zacken
Questions are far more variable on those paper + questions not on current syllabus (i.e; complex numbers on STEP I, matrices and group theory on III, etc..) whereas the difficulty of questions on 2000+ are much more constant per paper, but as from 2008+ there's a non-trivial difficulty jump.

so 2008 is way tougher than 2000s

Latest

Trending

Trending