The Student Room Group

Losing best friend and no idea why

I've seen quite a few posts with similar problems to mine but I would love some advice!

I met my best friend at uni 5 years, and we instantly became friends even though we were in a big group. We became closer, lived together with other friends and even after uni finished we still remained close. We both said how much our friendship meant to each other and that we'd never had a friend like this before because we got on so well and genuinely loved each other. I honestly thought she would be a friend for life. We went through so much together- deaths, break up, mutual bad friendships, graduating uni and going on holiday together etc.

But, earlier this year she suddenly stopped talking to me altogether. I understand she started uni again and made new friends & found a new boyfriend which didn't bother me at all, but I literally didn't hear from her at all. (I have a feeling the new bf may be the problem, as soon as she started going out with him, I didn't hear from her at all).

I tried to carry on texting her first and arranging to meet up but then I realised if I didn't contact her, I wouldn't hear from her. I eventually told her how I was feeling and she started texting me a bit then I think she just gave up again.

Now, I honestly don't know what to do, I don't want to lose my best friend but it's horrible to have someone suddenly cut off for no reason.
(Also her excuse was that she's "too busy" to see me, but she's constantly posting pics of her out with her new group of friends and boyfriend).

SO, should I just give up? I don't know what more I can do since I already told her how hurt I am :/
Original post by Anonymous
I've seen quite a few posts with similar problems to mine but I would love some advice!

I met my best friend at uni 5 years, and we instantly became friends even though we were in a big group. We became closer, lived together with other friends and even after uni finished we still remained close. We both said how much our friendship meant to each other and that we'd never had a friend like this before because we got on so well and genuinely loved each other. I honestly thought she would be a friend for life. We went through so much together- deaths, break up, mutual bad friendships, graduating uni and going on holiday together etc.

But, earlier this year she suddenly stopped talking to me altogether. I understand she started uni again and made new friends & found a new boyfriend which didn't bother me at all, but I literally didn't hear from her at all. (I have a feeling the new bf may be the problem, as soon as she started going out with him, I didn't hear from her at all).

I tried to carry on texting her first and arranging to meet up but then I realised if I didn't contact her, I wouldn't hear from her. I eventually told her how I was feeling and she started texting me a bit then I think she just gave up again.

Now, I honestly don't know what to do, I don't want to lose my best friend but it's horrible to have someone suddenly cut off for no reason.
(Also her excuse was that she's "too busy" to see me, but she's constantly posting pics of her out with her new group of friends and boyfriend).

SO, should I just give up? I don't know what more I can do since I already told her how hurt I am :/

I honestly think the best thing to do at this point is to let her go. You've done all you have can, and now it's up to her. I've been in the same situation with my ex-best friend. I tried to keep in contact, but he wouldn't respond so I gave up. And the time it took his mum to find out about all of it spoke volumes about how much he cared.

I would suggest trying to explain again to her how you feel, and if it carries on, then there's not much else you could do except to distance yourself from her, I'm afraid.

It's probably not the answer you're looking for, but I hope the best for you, and that your friendship doesn't go the same way as mine did.
I've been in the same situation myself recently and I think your best bet is probably to take a step back from her. It seems to be a sad fact of growing up that these things happen, especially when your lives are headed in different directions. I'm sorry, this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it does get easier and might even open doors for you to meet and make new friends!
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies :smile:
So far, that's what I've done. I've just left it because there's nothing more I can do and that's the way it has to be for now.
It's just sad because it was SO sudden. The last time I saw her, we spent the evening together and she stayed round my house and we had the best night full of laughs and nothing was wrong and then suddenly nothing. Didn't hear from her again.

Is it too harsh to unfollow her on twitter/fb/instagram or will that seem too catty? (stupid question I know, but I don't know what to do)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending