The Student Room Group

Remark or not?

I was 2 marks under an A* for my aqa a-level biology. Obviously I'm happy, I got into university, but it bugs me a little because of how close I was and I think it would be nice to have an A* instead of an A. I don't think it's necessary, obviously, and would be fine without it, but I don't want to have any regrets and I understand that there's a deadline. My parents are okay with paying for a remark too which is nice.

However, I'm worried (and I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm stressed, as always) that my grade may somehow fall to a B (although I'd have to lose 25 marks for that so...). I will email my teacher to ask her about it and I'm discussing it with my parents and friends but just want opinions. I have very messy handwriting and have been told multiple times to use computers for exams but didn't want to due to certain circumstances that are quite personal that led to it being postponed, and I didn't want to have to quickly adapt to using computers for such important exams. This is why I think I might just send paper 3, as it is the paper with the essay, where I believe I'll be more likely to get some marks. Opinions??

Edit: my offer is AAA, so if it fell to B I would lose my spot at university, hence why I'm so worried
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by AelisHydrangea
I was 2 marks under an A* for my aqa a-level biology. Obviously I'm happy, I got into university, but it bugs me a little because of how close I was and I think it would be nice to have an A* instead of an A. I don't think it's necessary, obviously, and would be fine without it, but I don't want to have any regrets and I understand that there's a deadline. My parents are okay with paying for a remark too which is nice.

However, I'm worried (and I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm stressed, as always) that my grade may somehow fall to a B (although I'd have to lose 25 marks for that so...). I will email my teacher to ask her about it and I'm discussing it with my parents and friends but just want opinions. I have very messy handwriting and have been told multiple times to use computers for exams but didn't want to due to certain circumstances that are quite personal that led to it being postponed, and I didn't want to have to quickly adapt to using computers for such important exams. This is why I think I might just send paper 3, as it is the paper with the essay, where I believe I'll be more likely to get some marks. Opinions??

Edit: my offer is AAA, so if it fell to B I would lose my spot at university, hence why I'm so worried

It's your decision, obviously. You need to weigh "it bugs me a little because of how close I was and I think it would be nice to have an A* instead of an A" against "I'm worried (and I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm stressed, as always) that my grade may somehow fall to a B (although I'd have to lose 25 marks for that so...)".

If it were me, and my parents were paying for it, I'd go for the Review of Marking. The likelihood that you'll lose enough marks to drop a grade are almost nil.

BTW, it's wise to do one paper first, as you've suggested, lest you gain marks on one paper only to loose them again on the next.
Original post by DataVenia
It's your decision, obviously. You need to weigh "it bugs me a little because of how close I was and I think it would be nice to have an A* instead of an A" against "I'm worried (and I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm stressed, as always) that my grade may somehow fall to a B (although I'd have to lose 25 marks for that so...)".

If it were me, and my parents were paying for it, I'd go for the Review of Marking. The likelihood that you'll lose enough marks to drop a grade are almost nil.

BTW, it's wise to do one paper first, as you've suggested, lest you gain marks on one paper only to loose them again on the next.

Yeah, I would be remarking paper 3 only because my grade absolutely plummeted there, whereas it never had in mocks. I think I've weighed it up enough and talked to a few friends too and everyone agrees there's little to no risk, so if my teacher thinks it's a good idea I'll do it! Although I don't care to get any other papers remarked if it doesn't change after paper 3 is looked at. Thank you!!
Original post by AelisHydrangea
Yeah, I would be remarking paper 3 only because my grade absolutely plummeted there, whereas it never had in mocks. I think I've weighed it up enough and talked to a few friends too and everyone agrees there's little to no risk, so if my teacher thinks it's a good idea I'll do it! Although I don't care to get any other papers remarked if it doesn't change after paper 3 is looked at. Thank you!!

Sounds like a good plan. Here's hoping for a couple of extra marks from paper 3! :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest