The Student Room Group

RAF fitness advise

Hi all,

I am feeling its time to kick it up a gear on the fitness front (while I wait on Capita to sort out my medical). I can run the 1.5 miles in 10:30 and do press ups and sit ups required. However I just feel its not enough and I want to make sure I am in tip top condition ready for Halton (I'm keeping positive).

So I'm thinking I need to start running in the morning (easier said than done but I really need to just get up and get out) before work, then in the evening do something like Insanity as a overall body fitness work out.

Is there a rough distance I should aim for on longer jogs? Do they tend to time longer jogs at Halton?

If anybody has any tips or advise around fitness (or Halton in general) please share.
Original post by kilted_sparky
Hi all,

I am feeling its time to kick it up a gear on the fitness front (while I wait on Capita to sort out my medical). I can run the 1.5 miles in 10:30 and do press ups and sit ups required. However I just feel its not enough and I want to make sure I am in tip top condition ready for Halton (I'm keeping positive).

So I'm thinking I need to start running in the morning (easier said than done but I really need to just get up and get out) before work, then in the evening do something like Insanity as a overall body fitness work out.

Is there a rough distance I should aim for on longer jogs? Do they tend to time longer jogs at Halton?

If anybody has any tips or advise around fitness (or Halton in general) please share.

You'll only do 2-3 longer runs while you are there and the longest probably 3-4 miles. (Staring at the bottom of a nice steep muddy hill! - Can't remember what they call it maybe Cardiac Hill)

The majority of the fitness sessions are circuit based, get down to your local gyms circuit sessions or do your own. Before i joined i went to the local football pitch and did shuttles/burpees/walkaways/pushups/situps.
Original post by AlphaTango
You'll only do 2-3 longer runs while you are there and the longest probably 3-4 miles. (Staring at the bottom of a nice steep muddy hill! - Can't remember what they call it maybe Cardiac Hill)

The majority of the fitness sessions are circuit based, get down to your local gyms circuit sessions or do your own. Before i joined i went to the local football pitch and did shuttles/burpees/walkaways/pushups/situps.

Cheers AT,

OK in that case ill aim to do some longer runs (5-6 miles) to increase stamina, ill probably start those after PRTC (when I get there).

I have factored beeps tests in twice a week down at the local football pitches (got to level 10 on the last attempt, aiming for mid 10s/11). I have insanity on dvd at home so was thinking ill crack on with that as its very much HIIT based exercise, also saves spending about £25 on joining admin fees and then £28 a month on the gym (quite expensive here). Thanks for the advise I will do those after the beep test as a extra.

How long are the circuits? The usual 30 mins - 1 hour or longer?
Original post by kilted_sparky
Cheers AT,

OK in that case ill aim to do some longer runs (5-6 miles) to increase stamina, ill probably start those after PRTC (when I get there).

I have factored beeps tests in twice a week down at the local football pitches (got to level 10 on the last attempt, aiming for mid 10s/11). I have insanity on dvd at home so was thinking ill crack on with that as its very much HIIT based exercise, also saves spending about £25 on joining admin fees and then £28 a month on the gym (quite expensive here). Thanks for the advise I will do those after the beep test as a extra.

How long are the circuits? The usual 30 mins - 1 hour or longer?

Runs, Bleep Test, Insanity all the right type of fitness just keep it up and push yourself until your start date. The actual phys at Halton isn't too bad but because you'll be running on little sleep and not used to the demands of your time the fitter you are the more capable you are to deal with concentrating on briefings after a long run compared to those not as in shape.

The circuits were roughly an hour, most of the phys is at least an hour.

AT
Original post by AlphaTango
Runs, Bleep Test, Insanity all the right type of fitness just keep it up and push yourself until your start date. The actual phys at Halton isn't too bad but because you'll be running on little sleep and not used to the demands of your time the fitter you are the more capable you are to deal with concentrating on briefings after a long run compared to those not as in shape.

The circuits were roughly an hour, most of the phys is at least an hour.

AT

cheers AT ill keep going then, I gave Insanity a good go last night and if you want a decent work out in 30 mins give it a go its pretty tough (well as tough as you want to make it).

Thats fine then I guessed it would be about the hour mark if not a bit more and I suppose that coupled with low ropes etc it will be a pretty knackering 10 weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest