The Student Room Group

Help! Scared of escalators!

I'm scared of escalators. I don't like looking at them, getting on them, riding them up or down or getting off them. Basically I'm bloody terrified of the things. I'm also really scared of lifts. I'm going to London next week and I'm really nervous. :/ I have anxiety disorder and I am use to having 'weird' phobias but this is definetely making things hard for me. Someone please help :frown:
I'm sure there are stair options where there are elevators and lifts. Some parts of the underground only have escalators though, but you can only hope that it malfunctions and freezes so that you can walk up/down them!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm sure there are lift options where there are elevators and lifts. Some parts of the underground only have escalators though, but you can only hope that it malfunctions and freezes so that you can walk up/down them!

This is the problem! If I get to a station where there are no other options I'm going to be pretty stuck! I know it's a pretty stupid phobia (I've had plenty of my friends laugh at me since I've told them I'm having this crisis) but I can't get in a lift and it's unlikely they won't be switched on :s-smilie:
Original post by AbbyKnight
This is the problem! If I get to a station where there are no other options I'm going to be pretty stuck! I know it's a pretty stupid phobia (I've had plenty of my friends laugh at me since I've told them I'm having this crisis) but I can't get in a lift and it's unlikely they won't be switched on :s-smilie:

Ooops sorry, a complete typo. I meant I am sure there are STAIR options when there are lifts and escalators around. Don't you worry :h:. If you don't mind me asking, what caused this phobia of yours? :ninja:
Reply 4
What is it about escalators that scares you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Ooops sorry, a complete typo. I meant I am sure there are STAIR options when there are lifts and escalators around. Don't you worry :h:. If you don't mind me asking, what caused this phobia of yours? :ninja:

This is going to sound so stupid and it's embarrassing even to say it 🙈 Basically I've always been scared of them, I used to hesitate when getting on them and and get off them really quickly. I've seen a few people get their shoe laces stuck in them too so I've always been really cautious. When the accident in China happened last week it gave me a reason to be scared of them (people keep telling me it won't happen in Britain but I just can't believe them). It's a completely irrational phobia but they feel like death traps to me now.
This is going to sound so stupid and it's embarrassing even to say it 🙈 Basically I've always been scared of them, I used to hesitate when getting on them and and get off them really quickly. I've seen a few people get their shoe laces stuck in them too so I've always been really cautious. When the accident in China happened last week it gave me a reason to be scared of them (people keep telling me it won't happen in Britain but I just can't believe them). It's a completely irrational phobia but they feel like death traps to me now.

What happened in china? Don't worry there's nothing to be scared about, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I used to be absolutely terrified of underground tubes because I kept thinking that we were going to get stuck and when I get stuck, I actually freak out so so much. Or when the tube suddenly stopped in a tunnel I'd be like **** I'm actually going to die :emo:
Reply 7
I'm scared of escalators. I don't like looking at them, getting on them, riding them up or down or getting off them. Basically I'm bloody terrified of the things. I'm also really scared of lifts. I'm going to London next week and I'm really nervous. :/ I have anxiety disorder and I am use to having 'weird' phobias but this is definetely making things hard for me. Someone please help :frown:

If you don't want to use escaltors, you can use the tfl website to plan a journey and under 'Travel options and accessibility' you can specify no escalators.
Reply 8
Original post by leahdw
If you don't want to use escaltors, you can use the tfl website to plan a journey and under 'Travel options and accessibility' you can specify no escalators.

Thank you, that's really helpful :smile:
I have the same problem :frown: Getting on the Tube in london is a nightmare and terrifies me, otherwise I always try to get the stairs everywhere else. I simply kinda just avoid escalators as much as possible.
Mod note: please keep this thread on topic and constructive. It's probably not helpful to the OP to derail with videos.

A phobia doesn't need to be rational to be absolutely terrifying. I mean, look at fears of spiders or snakes! The best option is to plan ahead so that you know each station you need to pass through and which are 'safe' for your anxiety. I have stations I can't use without my anxiety shooting through the roof too so it's fine. And the great thing about London is that stations are always so close to each other that you can walk to a better one for you. Quite a few have stair access - it tends to be the 'bigger' ones that don't because they want to keep people moving.
I know exactly how you feel. I have panic disorder and seem to have developed a phobia over everything! Some things are understandable like crowds and busy places but I also developed fears of irrational things too.

I personally don't mind escalators but hate lifts, never like them, even before I got anxiety. If the places you visit do have stairs then if you feel you can't bear the escalators then take them but if they isn't a stair option or you do want to get out of your phobia, you will have to bite the bullet and go on it. I know how scary and hard it can be when you have an anxiety disorder but exposing yourself to what scares you is the only thing that helps. Running for the stairs only adds to the fear your mind has created saying that escalators are dangerous. I have had to do this with many things big and small. At first I couldn't go out my front door so made that my first step and worked up to big things like town. Exposing yourself,no matter how horrible it feels, is the only true advice I can give you. I promise the more you go on them, the less scary it'll be each time.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest