The Student Room Group

Mensa test applicants 2016

Hey, anybody on here hoping to do a mensa IQ test in 2016?
If so, what are you doing to prepare?
Ive been doing some online past mensa questions and fairing pretty well in them, but there is very limited resources online. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ridwan1473
Hey, anybody on here hoping to do a mensa IQ test in 2016?
If so, what are you doing to prepare?
Ive been doing some online past mensa questions and fairing pretty well in them, but there is very limited resources online. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it and got in second time - it's an IQ test, you can practise verbal and numerical reasoning all you like, but it's mainly a case of getting a really good night's sleep the night before and eating well, with a sugar rush directly beforehand and in the break.
Reply 2
Original post by Cadherin
I did it and got in second time - it's an IQ test, you can practise verbal and numerical reasoning all you like, but it's mainly a case of getting a really good night's sleep the night before and eating well, with a sugar rush directly beforehand and in the break.

Congrats man! & respect for the advice i'll try 😂, do you think its worth spending time increasing general knowledge / knowledge on mathematical sequences (I see these keep coming up?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ridwan1473
Congrats man! & respect for the advice i'll try 😂, do you think its worth spending time increasing general knowledge / knowledge on mathematical sequences (I see these keep coming up?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I remember, general knowledge is absolutely useless. It may well be worth going over your numerical methods etc. - perhaps try some of the pure maths from a STEP paper - some questions could be quite valuable, but obviously not some of the difficult pure maths - just the sequences and stuff.

Also, look up relatively common words (e.g. brave, seldom, etc.) and learn a few synonyms - say five new words and their meanings a day? This will help with verbal reasoning I think?

Have you had a look at this?

http://www.mensa.org.uk/workout

There's only so much you can do though - best of luck! As I say, there is very little more important than sleep and sugar/caffeine!
What kind of test they use there? Here in Finland Raven's matrices are on use and those can be practiced.

Finland's Mensa also has a net test that gives an approximation of your IQ, it isnt offical thou.
I first did at the age of 12 with score 128, and now after seeing this thread repeated for curiosity scoring 138.

I don't really believe those tests measure one's intelligence very accurately. Altough, I consider trying into Mensa just to show my bullies I'm not "dumb, imbesillic and have a neurological disorder". Well, maybe I should just ignore them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending