The Student Room Group

Teenage cannabis smokers face NO increased risk of mental or physical health problems

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by BlindingLight
Rubbish source.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673607611623

I suggest you read around reliable evidence.

''we conclude that there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that using cannabis could increase their risk of developing a psychotic illness later in life.''

What's wrong with the one linked to on the mirror?
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/adb-adb0000103.pdf

How about this one?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445918/

Or this one?
http://www.schres-journal.com/article/S0920-9964%2809%2900269-2/abstract
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Zamestaneh
Lol, I will avoid turning this into a debate about atheist morality.

:frown: Ah come on, I need to know now, will i go to hell for bungee jumping?
Reply 162
Original post by G8D
The strangest thing I find with this debate is that those on both sides are quick to attach absolute authority to whichever new study has just supported their bias while simultaneously denouncing those which support the opposite.

I suggest everyone assume a position of scepticism on any study proposing to conclude such a hot topic.

One thing they all have in common is that they show the risk to be very low at worst.
Reply 163

I think that's a load of ****e cuz I've had a long battle with weed addiction and both my physical and mental health went down the toilet... Maybe not from weed itself but from all the knock-on effects like staying up late then sleeping all day, bad for your physical health. Then instead of studying you just wanna watch South Park for as long as possible so your mental health goes down the toilet. I mean the list goes on for miles, these examples are just the tip of the iceberg.

The Mirror is publishing some truly dangerous information, let this guy explain it to you:
[video="youtube;WeYsTmIzjkw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw[/video]
Original post by gijops
I think that's a load of ****e cuz I've had a long battle with weed addiction and both my physical and mental health went down the toilet... Maybe not from weed itself but from all the knock-on effects like staying up late then sleeping all day, bad for your physical health. Then instead of studying you just wanna watch South Park for as long as possible so your mental health goes down the toilet. I mean the list goes on for miles, these examples are just the tip of the iceberg.

The Mirror is publishing some truly dangerous information, let this guy explain it to you:
[video="youtube;WeYsTmIzjkw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw[/video]

1) While I'm sorry to hear about your addiction, the bolded part says it all.
2) Are you really trying to use a song as evidence?
Reply 165
Original post by localblackguy
1) While I'm sorry to hear about your addiction, the bolded part says it all.
2) Are you really trying to use a song as evidence?

1) I'm confused by the bolded part, and you are some strange character if you've never smoked weed and are now trying to defend it.

2) fcuk yes I am!
Reply 166
Original post by G8D
I do not think that's true nor relevant to my post.

Ok, :K:

Original post by G8D

The important distinction between the two types of studies are risk or no risk.

Why?

Of all the studies looking at this they either point to there being no risk or at most only a very small percentage of users being affected, either way most people needn't worry about cannabis use much more than they would coffee use or TSR use.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gijops
1) I'm confused by the bolded part, and you are some strange character if you've never smoked weed and are now trying to defend it.

2) fcuk yes I am!

1) If it wasn't the weed itself that caused the problems, then it's not an argument against legalisation. I have smoked weed more times than I could possibly count, and I've even done a near 4000 word essay on marijuana addiction (I'll PM you it if you don't believe me), so your "you've never smoked weed" point won't work here. Try again

2) You do realise that what artists say in songs are mostly exaggerations or just lies full stop?
Original post by Lemon Haze
That is a very selfish view.

I know two very respectable people in my life with horrible conditions such as MS. They have to hide and use weed undercover to avoid having their door busted down by the police. If it were legalised they could go to their Doctor and pick up Medical grade cannabis that would help them a great deal with dealing with their conditions.

+ If weed was legal here the price would be max £18/gram. Paying £8 extra to smoke legal herb and not worry about police ruining your life forever, being able to choose your own strain and have access to legit high quality stuff is nothing.

I know it was a selfish view, that's why I said that that's the reason I don't want it to be legalised

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by localblackguy
1) If it wasn't the weed itself that caused the problems, then it's not an argument against legalisation. I have smoked weed more times than I could possibly count, and I've even done a near 4000 word essay on marijuana addiction (I'll PM you it if you don't believe me), so your "you've never smoked weed" point won't work here. Try again

2) You do realise that what artists say in songs are mostly exaggerations or just lies full stop?

Whatever, man I's saying that weed is bad because it makes people lazy and less motivated. And it definitely impacts your health if you smoke it because smoking anything will bring the oxygen levels in your blood down by 10% or more.

Maybe your some different breed of superhuman that are immune to the negative effects of weed but guess what? most people aren't and if we had a nation full of stoners then the economy and workforce would go tits-up very quickly
Original post by gijops
Whatever, man I's saying that weed is bad because it makes people lazy and less motivated.

Blanket statement. For many, it's invigorating and inspiring.

Making people lazy and unmotivated is an old myth.
Original post by gijops
Whatever, man I's saying that weed is bad because it makes people lazy and less motivated. And it definitely impacts your health if you smoke it because smoking anything will bring the oxygen levels in your blood down by 10% or more.

Maybe your some different breed of superhuman that are immune to the negative effects of weed but guess what? most people aren't and if we had a nation full of stoners then the economy and workforce would go tits-up very quickly

Here we go, we've got an Internet scientist who knows everything about science because he's got Google. How do you feel that almost every successful rapper smokes weed and are still motivated and not lazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gijops

I guess you haven't heard Afroman actually regrets making that song and released this:

[video="youtube;d8AuMOGx_KY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AuMOGx_KY[/video]
It smells terrible, which is a good enough reason for me.
Original post by gijops
Whatever, man I's saying that weed is bad because it makes people lazy and less motivated.

So does alcohol, netflix, and take-out curry.
Reply 175
Original post by frankieboy
Blanket statement. For many, it's invigorating and inspiring.

Making people lazy and unmotivated is an old myth.

go on then, have a spliff 5 times a day for 3 months and tell me what you accomplish
Reply 176
Original post by Oscar.
Here we go, we've got an Internet scientist who knows everything about science because he's got Google. How do you feel that almost every successful rapper smokes weed and are still motivated and not lazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.hiphophoodcommunity.com/10-rappers-who-quit-smoking-weed.html
Yay lets all start smoking dat weed. No thanks

A list of rappers who either never smoked much in the first place, haven't fully quit, have kids so are stopping because of them, or can't smoke due to probation - with Snoop Dogg of all people on it (who was smoking a blunt onstage at the Justin Bieber roast earlier this year, says enough) - your point is?
Original post by gijops
go on then, have a spliff 5 times a day for 3 months and tell me what you accomplish

So what you're saying is ''abuse it and tell me where it gets you''.

Which could apply to any substance.

Not really a balanced argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending