The Student Room Group

A-level choices.

I am looking to apply to the University of Cambridge in two years and want to study economics. At GCSE level, I attained an A* in this subject, however the university expects an a-level in maths, if I want to study with them. Is statistics a level practically the same and as well regarded? If not, how challenging is a level maths. Please note I have two a levels already - an A in French and an A in Philosophy and Ethics. Meaning I will need about one more A*/two As to achieve suitable UCAS points.
Reply 1
How well did you do at GCSE maths? You'll have to do A-level pure maths, not stats as it's just applied maths so not as well regarded. I don't know about second yr but AS is pretty easy, obviously at a faster pace than GCSE but i wouldn't say it was difficult.. With your grades, i'd say you'll be fine
Original post by James1712111
I am looking to apply to the University of Cambridge in two years and want to study economics. At GCSE level, I attained an A* in this subject, however the university expects an a-level in maths, if I want to study with them. Is statistics a level practically the same and as well regarded? If not, how challenging is a level maths. Please note I have two a levels already - an A in French and an A in Philosophy and Ethics. Meaning I will need about one more A*/two As to achieve suitable UCAS points.

realistically speaking, you should be doing further maths for economics at cambridge. maths a level isn't difficult if you put the work in. never heard of statistics a level - usually people take stats modules within a level maths

You should still be taking 3 A levels even if you've done 2 AS already if you're not already
Reply 3

You'd need to do A Level Maths. Also, can you double check what you mean by A level statistics? Do you mean an A level maths with statistics modules - i.e. doing C1 to C4 and S1 & S2? As this will be fine. Or do you mean the actual A Level Statistics? (Which has the modules S1 to S6) A Level Statistics would not be a replacement for A Level Maths!

Also, Cambridge don't look at ucas points normally.
Reply 4

it's okay, I've bought the As book and it looks okay, but that's my opinion. Most colleges will have a choice maths with statistics. I think you should do it. Just try hard and do all past papers. Use online resources e.g. YouTube. Statistics can be hard with S1 up to S6. You'll be doing C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and S2. Core 1 and 2 is fairly simple the hard stuff is just logs and proof. Hope this helped. + try Further maths As
Reply 5
Can someone help me please I don't know what a levels to pick between physics and biology. I'm thinking of choosing maths economics chemistry and either physics or biology and then dropping either physics or bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending