The Student Room Group

Why are immigrants so desperate to come over from France

Scroll to see replies

The best thing to do is not bomb theese countries in the first place

Libya is now a failed state all because a few tribal leaders in the east didnt like gaddafi so they started a riot

Thousands of central africans used to work in Libya now they try and come to europe
Original post by Europe Born
If britain was being bombed I would expect NO sympathy or compassion from muslims or Africans. these people are third world migrants i do not want my society being degraded by their religions and third world culture and mentality. Preserving Europe is far more important to me by keeping these people out. I have seen what third world immigraiton has done to Nordic countries and my compassion is reserved for my future children and their children.

Ironic then that 1000s of africans and muslims fought for the empire during WW2 ?
Original post by earthworm
And much much better skiing,

You're not serious right?
Original post by karl pilkington
The point of my original post was that they are already in a rich european country. I understand that they are refugees or whatever but why not just stay in France or Germany or Spain was my point.

France Spain... rich... Lmao nice one bro :rofl:
Original post by neal95
I am sick of these people coming here. We are not a charity. Close the eurotunnel! Thank god we don't have a labour government!

Your post literally makes no sense.

No, the UK is not a charity, but those who have requested asylum have a legal right to be in the UK.

"Close the eurotunnel!" - Not only would that strand thousands of people on both sides of the Channel, but it would SEVERELY hamper our trade with mainland Europe, y'know, since freight trains use the tunnel as well as passenger trains...

"Thank god we don't have a labour government!"
I interpret that as you saying if there was a labour government in power now, then they would just open the proverbial floodgates - which is the exact opposite of what they would do.
Original post by Europe Born
If britain was being bombed I would expect NO sympathy or compassion from muslims or Africans. these people are third world migrants i do not want my society being degraded by their religions and third world culture and mentality. Preserving Europe is far more important to me by keeping these people out. I have seen what third world immigraiton has done to Nordic countries and my compassion is reserved for my future children and their children.

Are you a neo-fascist? Because that sounds awfully similar to what a neo-fascist would say...
Original post by KommunistCake
Your post literally makes no sense.

No, the UK is not a charity, but those who have requested asylum have a legal right to be in the UK.

"Close the eurotunnel!" - Not only would that strand thousands of people on both sides of the Channel, but it would SEVERELY hamper our trade with mainland Europe, y'know, since freight trains use the tunnel as well as passenger trains...

"Thank god we don't have a labour government!"
I interpret that as you saying if there was a labour government in power now, then they would just open the proverbial floodgates - which is the exact opposite of what they would do.

Yeah right, you know as well as I do that labour would welcome these insects. No it wouldn't limit trade, invade you didn't realise we are an island, the haulage companies can stop employin Eastern Europeans and fork out for shipping costs. The average person at home would feel much more content this way. Communist.
Original post by Imperion
You're not serious right?

Lol like glen coe compares chamonix
Original post by earthworm
Lol like glen coe compares chamonix

Doesnt even compare the le masif central
Reply 69
I mean people say it is due to benefits etc but I still don't understand it. They could stay in france or go to Spain or Germany. Why do they want to come here so much.

Probably because the world's not in a very good place, and it's only getting worse.
Original post by NHM713
Probably because the world's not in a very good place, and it's only getting worse.

That doesn't make any sense the question is why do they want to come here as oppose to other european countries, I understand why they flee their native countries.
Original post by James222
Ironic then that 1000s of africans and muslims fought for the empire during WW2 ?

Could not care less and I doubt any of the migrants washing up on Europes shores are ww2 veterns
I mean people say it is due to benefits etc but I still don't understand it. They could stay in france or go to Spain or Germany. Why do they want to come here so much.

Because along with the US, we brought "democracy" to these lands especially Libya now it is a roaring success story.

USA- well a big ocean. So Britiain is a wee bit nearer.

I actually think we should let them in as a lot of them are doctors, vets, teachers - skills we need.
Reply 73
That doesn't make any sense the question is why do they want to come here as oppose to other european countries, I understand why they flee their native countries.

Better opportunities, bad world, getting worse. Nobody what's to leave their home.

You might find yourself in their current situation, the way things are going.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
If you're referring to the asylum seekers & refugees in Calais, please, for the love of god, stop calling them "immigrants." The word has been dirtied by the right in this country and they don't deserve that kind of association. These people aren't leisure tourists come to try to claim our benefits, they're running from war, terrorism and the destruction of their homes.

They are economic migrants. Semantics do not change that fact. They travelled through numerous safe, civilised countries just to reach Britain, presumably because it is seen as a treasure trove.

They didn't have a jolly good laugh with the families, get on a plane to France and then stroll on over to the Eurotunnel, many of them have gone through awful things - their homes bombed, their families slaughtered before their own eyes, having to walk hundreds of miles in awful conditions to try to get to 'safety'

A 'safety' they found as soon as they reached Turkey or another safe country. I have sympathy for them, but they travelled through numerous safe countries, yet are still not content.

To imply these people are just trying to come here to get an easy life is frankly disgusting, and terrifies me because it shows how little empathy and humanity some people have.

So what other reason do they have for choosing Britain over other safe countries that does not amount to an 'easy life'? Is France war-torn? Does France not offer safety?

There's an account of someone who went to the camps in Calais recently, and it's here:
https://www.facebook.com/jasmin.ohara/posts/10155886887785022

Honestly, if you can read that, or look at the figures and the stories behind some of these people, and your first thought is worrying some of them might want to try to scrounge a few thousand pounds welfare (which most of them aren't even eligible for for Christ's sake!) then you are a disgusting person, imo. These people have gone through ATROCITIES to get where they are, and many of them have watched people they know suffer and die.

I didn't realise there were 'ATROCITIES' in France or situations where people have to watch others they know suffer and die in Calais.

If you wonder why they want to come to Britain, rather than stay in another civilised European country, then consider the numbers of refugees that they take in compared to us; we're awful when compared to the rest of the EU on these figures. The UK needs more compassion and a hell of a lot more empathy - I despise that we call ourselves a civilised country when we have thousands of people on our doorstep from awful, awful backgrounds and our only reaction is hatred and cheering as they get pushed back by soldiers, police and tanks. I mean, yes, we have homelessness and poverty in our country, but first off, barely anything on the scale most of these refugees have been through, and additionally, those issues could be solved too if this government put growth, compassion and humanity first, rather than chasing damaging and unnecessary budget figures with ideologically driven cuts. Think of it the other way around -- if Britain was bombed, and you tried escaping with your family to a safe country, for which you had to travel thousands of miles away with little decent transport, your parents and siblings dying of starvation, malnutrition, illness and all sorts of other factors, driven on only by tales of how good life is there & how nice the people are... Only to get there to be pushed back by tanks, beaten by police, and mocked by their media, called a 'swarm' by the single most powerful politician in the country, and accused of wanting zilch more than benefits. Sounds civilised to me.

This is emotive subjectivity, and does not address the proposition in your first sentence at all: why they choose Britain rather than another safe and civilised country. France is not being bombed, nor are they being pushed back by tanks and police; they only need enter a police station and say, 'I claim asylum'.
Original post by Lady Comstock
They are economic migrants. Semantics do not change that fact. They travelled through numerous safe, civilised countries just to reach Britain, presumably because it is seen as a treasure trove.

Sort of.

The Home Office has looked into this issue - back in 2002 when the latest "OMG there's lots of foreigners in Calais" type hysteria struck.

As you suspect, a lot of people trying to reach the UK are doing so because they feel that the UK is the best place where they can better their lives. They feel that the UK is a place where they can find work and, through this work, they will prosper and become successful.

As I have said previously, and as the report explained, many of the migrants already speak English and/or have some link with the UK. Maybe a family member or friend living here.

Another interesting thing that was noted was that some migrants purchased a "package" from the people who would help them move around. Often, they had no choice where they ended up.
Reply 76
There's the very false notion that the streets are paved with gold.
Reply 77
Original post by neal95
Yeah right, you know as well as I do that labour would welcome these insects. No it wouldn't limit trade, invade you didn't realise we are an island, the haulage companies can stop employin Eastern Europeans and fork out for shipping costs. The average person at home would feel much more content this way. Communist.

You might not like them, you might be against them but to call other human beings 'insects'? I dare say someone 'higher' than you may think the same about yourself.
Original post by InnerTemple
Sort of.

The Home Office has looked into this issue - back in 2002 when the latest "OMG there's lots of foreigners in Calais" type hysteria struck.

As you suspect, a lot of people trying to reach the UK are doing so because they feel that the UK is the best place where they can better their lives. They feel that the UK is a place where they can find work and, through this work, they will prosper and become successful.

Their views about the UK, which appear ill-founded given Scandinavia's excellent rankings for standard of living, are irrelevant. The whole point of asylum is to provide shelter and amnesty to people who are genuinely fleeing death or serious injury, and desperately need to find somewhere safe, fast. Someone treating Europe like a pick 'n' mix to find the country they perceive to be the 'best' place, and risking their lives to do so, does not correlate with that principle.

As I have said previously, and as the report explained, many of the migrants already speak English and/or have some link with the UK. Maybe a family member or friend living here.

Most European countries, particularly places like Holland, have a populace that speak English brilliantly.

Surely once granted asylum in say Greece, they can travel to Britain to visit relatives?

Another interesting thing that was noted was that some migrants purchased a "package" from the people who would help them move around. Often, they had no choice where they ended up.

These people may have been asylum seekers to begin with, and I have every sympathy for such plight; however, they became economic migrants when their intent changed from finding the first safe haven to wanting the 'best' country in terms of perceived financial prosperity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jazjaz
There's the very false notion that the streets are paved with gold.

I don't understand that idea, as Scandinavia and Germany seem more appealing in terms of standard of living at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending