The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cpj16
So first it says this

Maths A 242
Further Maths D 172
Chem B 230
Bio A 243
Here are all of the edexcel maths papers I did, I also did m2 but i dropped it and yet it has still appeared in the result

c1 A 97
c2 A 93
c3 C 63
fp1 A 82
m1 A 90
s1 D 56
m2 0
even though I did not take the m2 and asked my teacher to pull me out and he told me he did. Can someone please explain how the put these results together and what I can do to make the look nicer.

Will colleges accept me for Medicine with a D?

tbh your modules look a bit odd for maths & FM. AFAIK AS maths = C1 & 2 + 1 applied; AS FM = FP1 + FP2 + 1 applied or FP1 + 2 applied. For maths AS they will take C1, C2 and your best applied score, here being M1, so giving you an A. For AS FM, as you didn't do FP2, they will take FP1 and 2 applied modules that have not been used for your maths AS. However you have only taken one other applied module (S1), hence the D in FM AS. The exam board has included the M2 exam that you did not take because a 2nd applied module was required to make up the FM; C3 cannot be used as part of FM.
If you do another applied module next year (as well as an applied module for A2 maths), then that should be taken as the 2nd applied module for AS FM. Suggest you talk to your maths teacher about this.

For medicine your 4th AS does not matter too much as long as you do not apply to unis that require a grade above a d in it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sarah12344466
Agreed 100%, but if someone with those grades and same work experience as someone with average grades, they would be accepted whereas the latter would not and thats just a reality we as medical school applicants have to face, or am I mistaken here? lol

Well that depends. Some unis prioiriitise things differently.

Some will go: Highest grades, then if two students are the same, the one with the better experience. Then better interview. Then better UKCAT.
Others will go: as long as minimal requirements met - Interview, PS, UKCAT, A levels, AS.

No two students are truly the same and you'd be unlucky to be one of two students fighting for the last place.

Someone has to get an offer. Why not you.
Original post by Masked_Freak
Hi guys I want to apply for medicine I got

A in maths/further maths
A in Biology
A in economics
B in chemistry (7 ums off an A)

Will chemistry mean I wont get an interview any more i got 6A* at gcse and want to apply for manchest/imperial. Am I still ok thanks in advance

I also got a B in chemistry and got offers from both those unis, so yes.
Original post by Neostigmine
They're great. As long as you get your predicted grades okay and don't apply to places that look for the 4th AS level at grade A you'll be fine.

Really? Thank you!! I was so worried because my 6th form head said I would need at least 3A's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noooo! It's really hard and it's heart breaking when you're disappointed, but it's not over and it is a learning experience. Keep going. Chin up. Soldier on!

Good luck!

I cant even explain how grateful I am to hear those words :biggrin: Thank you again!
Well that depends. Some unis prioiriitise things differently.

Some will go: Highest grades, then if two students are the same, the one with the better experience. Then better interview. Then better UKCAT.
Others will go: as long as minimal requirements met - Interview, PS, UKCAT, A levels, AS.

No two students are truly the same and you'd be unlucky to be one of two students fighting for the last place.

Someone has to get an offer. Why not you.

Ohh, I see, thats how it works lol. Thank you for that insight. Motivated now, especially with that last sentence ahahah.
Which London unis will accept AAAB?
Also forgot to mention but OP, did you think of getting a remark for either of those subjects? You have fairly good GCSEs so I don't think you're accademically unable to get good grades, so maybe do that? Speak to someone at your college, try and get a photocopy of the script back (but not the original because then it won't be able to be remarked!) go through it with your subject teacher and see if they think you deserve more marks. if not, you then have a script to refer to for revision and you'll know where you went wrong (but note that this does cost money)
Original post by Sarah12344466
I cant even explain how grateful I am to hear those words :biggrin: Thank you again!

Any time. Come back if you need help in the future with anything and keep in touch!
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Really? Thank you!! I was so worried because my 6th form head said I would need at least 3A's!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You needd to be predicted AAA and you will need it at A2 but not at AS! Avoid unis that love ASs and just apply to places that look at predicted grades. Medicine is competitive but it's not impossible to get in without perfect grades.
Original post by gregambrose
I've just picked up my results, and they are really not what I hoped for, I feel like I could have worked harder, but I can't change the results now. My teachers were shocked also because they said they never expected me to achieve the grades I did as before the exams I was achieving A's in the mocks.

My results today for AS were:
EPQ - A
Biology - D
Chemistry - C
Maths - D
Computer Science - C

I have dedicated myself to medicine for a long time now and I can't see my self doing anything else, please help me, what shall I do? Resit?

If you think you can achieve AAA then resit the exams you performed worst on. If not, perhaps consider graduate entry medicine.
I got 3as and a very high b in chemistry lel. I guess the best thing to do is just work my arse off next year. I'll also resit one of the modules i messed up in Chemistry kek :smile:.

When it says AAA or just has 3 grades what does this mean? Their AS grades are not specified..
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Hi, pretty disappointed with my results, was set on medicine but I'm not sure whether these grades are good enough.
I got:
A in Maths
A in Biology (really high ums so A* is likely on cards according to Bio teacher)
B in Chemistry (4 ums from A so may go for remark)
C in Physics
C in Further Maths

Is there anyway university would consider me with these grades?

If not, what courses should I be looking at applying for? My skills are mainly biological and chemical as I'm not great at maths. If I can't do medicine, I would be looking for something that is highly employable.

Thank you for your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, by no means is it a disaster. Ideally you want that A in Chemistry to ensure you get an A prediction and some unis want an A at AS in Chemistry, so I'd highly recommend a remark. Even if that doesn't go your way, you can still apply; a lot of unis don't look at AS grades/put more emphasis on the UKCAT/have lower grade boundaries, so don't give up if that's your dream!
Original post by Moonstruck16
If your heart is set on medicine, don't apply this year. Work hard and retake to get your biology and chemistry grades up to A's and A*'s. Use next year and your gap year to get work experience.

If you're prepared to work hard to get into medicine, go for it. If doing all this puts you off, don't. If you choose to apply for university this year. Your grades are good enough to get you onto a medicine related course at a good university :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They lose nothing by aplying and as long as they're predicted AAA they're not at any huge disadvantage.

Original post by computersayno
I just got my AS results:
A - Maths
A- history
B - biology
C- chemistry

I really wanted to apply to medicine and my results have very much upset me. I was wondering if there's any use apply to medicine with these grades or if i should just do a different course. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Any remarks if you're close to a boundary might help.
Can you get predicted AAA and work hard to get it?
Are you eligible for widening access courses (lower entry requirements for medicine) or have you considered gradmed?
Original post by shooting_stars
When it says AAA or just has 3 grades what does this mean? Their AS grades are not specified..

Because unis don't have speficif requirements for AS grades (except Cambridge) theyre not listed. You need to figure out if you can get predicted (and achieve) the requirements with your ASs. :yes:.

If there are 3 listed eg. AAA then it means AAA at A2 required. Read the bits to the right to get more detail :smile:

Hope that helps. If not come back!
(edited 8 years ago)
Really disappointed with mine-
Maths- B
Bio - B
Chem - C
History - C

Cannot go into medicine now... any suggestions on what other fields I could apply for?
I hope to resit my as exams but not sure if it is possible. For some reason none of my teachers where there when I collected my results...
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi so I got ABBB at AS but I really, really want to do medicine. My predictions will be minimum AAB/AAA, and I am going to resit three modules across my two AS Levels next summer (so within the two years). However, I am unsure of whether I should apply this year to medicine as wont universities see my application realistically as less competitive because of my weaker AS gardes, rendering me not able to realistically get any offers to medicine? So is it advisable to take a gap year after receiving my A2 results or should I just make an application this 2016 cycle? Thanks so much in advance :wink:
Because unis don't look at specific AS grades (except Cambridge) theyre not listed. You need to figure out if you can get predicted (and achieve) the requirements with your ASs. :yes:.

If there are 3 listed eg. AAA then it means AAA at A2 required. Read the bits to the right to get more detail :smile:

Hope that helps. If not come back!

So as my AS grades are AAAB (B in maths), if I can get my school to predict AAA for A2 (For Bio, Chem and Maths) would this be sufficient for most unis which have AAA as their A level requirement? :smile:

(And my GCSE grades are 9A*s and 2As- so I'll try to look for unis that heavily base their criteria on GCSES)

Latest

Trending

Trending