The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Today I got AAAB in chemistry, biology, psychology and maths. At GCSE I got 4 A* and 6 A. My A's for my AS are very close on the boundaries, for example I got 81% in Chemistry so I was lucky to get an A, but now I know it will be harder to get an A overall at A2. so I was wandering if re-siting AS modules is ok with most med schools?
Original post by Maosbff
Thank you! I got a b in the Empa, c in unit 2 and d in unit 1.

You would probably need to resit CHEM1 and CHEM2 if you want to get an A overall. The good thing about AQA (I presume this your exam board since you do the EMPA) is that there is a lot of crossover between the AS and A2 modules therefore revision is easier. As long as your smart with your revision and your time management I think you'll be able to pull it back during A2. Chemistry is all about past papers and exam technique! Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by tzwams
Today I got AAAB in chemistry, biology, psychology and maths. At GCSE I got 4 A* and 6 A. My A's for my AS are very close on the boundaries, for example I got 81% in Chemistry so I was lucky to get an A, but now I know it will be harder to get an A overall at A2. so I was wandering if re-siting AS modules is ok with most med schools?

Nearly all medical schools bar a few accept AS module resits. Congrats on your AS results!
Reply 383
Original post by 06shawm
Nearly all medical schools bar a few accept AS module resits. Congrats on your AS results!

Thank you, hope it went well for everyone
I was wondering if anyone who got 2A 2B (b's in chem and bio) got predicted AAA for A2, and wondered if that prediction was enough to get them into med school? i hope that made sense...i'm certain i'll get an A prediction for maths (maybe A* if I'm lucky) as I got 88 ums, 100 ums, and 80 ums for the 3 modules. but im not sure if anyone has been predicted an A from a B.
Reply 385
Original post by computersayno
I was wondering if anyone who got 2A 2B (b's in chem and bio) got predicted AAA for A2, and wondered if that prediction was enough to get them into med school? i hope that made sense...i'm certain i'll get an A prediction for maths (maybe A* if I'm lucky) as I got 88 ums, 100 ums, and 80 ums for the 3 modules. but im not sure if anyone has been predicted an A from a B.

I'm my school, everyone who got a B in as gets predicted A's at as. Good luck.
Anyone else getting annoyed at the people who got all A's and are all "omg will any medical school ever want me😱"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, does anyone have any advice on which medical universities I would stand a good chance in getting in?

I got As in Biology, Maths and Economics, but a B in Chemistry. GCSE grades are 11A*S and 1A, and my predicted grades are likely to be A*A*A.

The issues I'm having are that I really want to apply to either/both Imperial or UCL, but I realise these are very difficult universities to get into, particularly with the B in chemistry. Do you think I would still stand a chance?

Also are there any universities out there that focus less on the AS and more on predicted/gcses?

I would really appreciate any help for this. Thank you all! And I hope everyone has gotten the results they hoped for today :smile:
Original post by Pandemonium1
Hey, does anyone have any advice on which medical universities I would stand a good chance in getting in?

I got As in Biology, Maths and Economics, but a B in Chemistry. GCSE grades are 11A*S and 1A, and my predicted grades are likely to be A*A*A.

The issues I'm having are that I really want to apply to either/both Imperial or UCL, but I realise these are very difficult universities to get into, particularly with the B in chemistry. Do you think I would still stand a chance?

Also are there any universities out there that focus less on the AS and more on predicted/gcses?

I would really appreciate any help for this. Thank you all! And I hope everyone has gotten the results they hoped for today :smile:

I got a (high) b in chem too - 236/240 i believe. 3as and a b in total. Can anyone give me advice?
Original post by Kittyboy
I got a (high) b in chem too - 236/240 i believe. 3as and a b in total. Can anyone give me advice?

You could get it remarked, if that fails then you can resit to make it easier to get an A at A2. As long as you are predicted an A it shouldn't be a problem so long as you avoid the really AS-heavy unis like Birmingham.
does anyone have any free resources i could use to revise for my UKCAT test?
i already know about the practice mocks that are on the ukcat and i already have the 600 Q book.

thank you in advance
I also need help. I've just gotten my AS results and it was a disaster. I only got AABB (b's in both chem and physics) :frown:
I also have gotten both my photocopy scripts in chem and with a quick scan i only saw around 2-3 raw marks that i could possibly get remarked :x
Our coursework in physics has been marked down and I could have got an overall A if only our coursework didn't get marked down.

Biology [Edexcel] A (279/300)
Unit 1 - 120/120
Unit 2 - 101/120
Coursework - 58/60

Maths [AQA] A (259/300)
C1 - 84/100
C2 - 83/100
S1 - 92/100

Chemistry [Edexcel] B (228/300)
Unit 1 - 84/120
Unit 2 - 84/120
Coursework - 60/60

Physics [Edexcel] B (232/300)
Unit 1 - 87/120
Unit 2 - 106/120
Coursework - 39/60

Would I still be able to apply to medicine with these grades? The b's are really killing me as I wanted to apply to both Cambridge and Imperial but it seems really hard now. :frown:
Would I still have a chance given that English is not my main language and it's only my first year living in England? Or should I give up on this option and just move on? :frown:
If anyone has previous experience with AS remarks, how long does it usually take? because they give us a months notice but does it actually take that long?
I have no clue what to do now...
I got my AS Results today and received ABDD:
A: Psychology
B: Biology
D: Chemistry & Physics
I think I dont stand a chance in Medicine now.. Should I apply or just forget about it and take another course... I'm so upset with my results :frown: I really thought I did well but it ended up being the opposite.
Okay so at GCSE I got 4A*'s, 5A's and a B but I had severe mitigating circumstances.

With my AS's today I got AABCC, which may turn into AAABC with remarks to chemistry (into an A) and physics.

I already know due to obtaining high biology ums I will be predicted A*AA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths).

Would I have any chance at getting into med school? Which med schools should realistically I be applying for in that case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Okay so at GCSE I got 4A*'s, 5A's and a B but I had severe mitigating circumstances.

With my AS's today I got AABCC, which may turn into AAABC with remarks to chemistry (into an A) and physics.

I already know due to obtaining high biology ums I will be predicted A*AA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths).

Would I have any chance at getting into med school? Which med schools should realistically I be applying for in that case?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your predicted A*AA u can apply for the majority just not Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
God I remember being in this position *mumblemumble* years ago (I'm now a final year medical student). I think most advice I could give would be pretty outdated now but a few things worth keeping in mind:

1. AFAIK med schools don't care about any units you retake within the two years. For example, I originally got a B in AS chemistry with ACC in the various modules. I was predicted an A at A2, retook both the modules I got Cs in and ended up with an A overall (this was before A*s were introduced, I am very very old). None of the schools I applied to cared that I had a B at AS, it was all about the predicted grade. Resits over three years are generally another kettle of sparrows

2. Extension of 1 - if you have got mostly As or a mix of As and Bs you will almost certainly be fine. For god's sake stop beating yourself up because you only got 298 UMS and you wanted 300. AS level is a big step up from GCSE and the different learning style takes some getting used to. You've done fantastically, go and celebrate.

3. If you've got mostly Bs/Cs/Ds/Es, it's worth having a really good think about why. If you saw a schoolbus full of babies get hit by a meteor just before your chemistry exam and couldn't concentrate, you're obviously likely to do much better in a resit exam. If you know that you didn't revise as hard or as smart as you could have done, making a change to your study habits will probably make a big difference in terms of your grades for next year (this was the case with me). However, if you absolutely worked your socks off and still only just scraped a C, is next year really going to be any different? If so, how? If you plan to resit all of your AS exams at the same time as taking even more challenging A2s, that's a huge amount of work and stress. Maybe have a chat to the teacher of the subject(s) in question and see what they think. Ask them if they honestly think you are capable of getting the predicted grade you need and if so, what would you need to do in order to get it?

4. Remember there are lots of other routes into medicine, as well as lots of other careers allied to medicine that are just as rewarding. The standard kneejerk reflex to getting less than ideal grades is to go into biomedical sciences or similar and then apply to medicine as a graduate. This can certainly be done but grad medicine is sadly getting harder and harder to get into, with more applicants for fewer places. A lot of my friends from sixth form who originally wanted to do medicine but didn't make the grades now have extremely fulfilling careers in nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy and other allied health professionals. Honestly I know nothing about the entry requirements for these and I imagine they are still quite tough to get into but it's another option.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more useless, outdated answers to your questions or general advice about applying for medicine. However badly you feel you did, the world hasn't ended and there are many options available to you, even if it doesn't feel that way :smile: For me, not doing as well as I wanted to on my AS levels was the single biggest academic motivator I ever had - I used it to push myself harder than I ever had before in A2 year and it paid off. Don't despair!
Thanks! I wasn't planning on Oxbridge anyway, would I be good to go with Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and UCLan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Thanks! I wasn't planning on Oxbridge anyway, would I be good to go with Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and UCLan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know UCLan is a private university and charges £36k a year(and is only for internationals AFAIK), do you mean Lancaster?

Latest

Trending

Trending