The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FfionAB
Oh and got work experience in;
-hospital lab (1 week)
-hospital (surgery, gastro opd clinic, diabetes clinic)
-library working with young children
-teaching equestrian vaulting to children (aged 3-15) inc. children with disabilities
-volunteering at local primary school (children aged 3-5) again inc. children with disabilities
-bra fitter at m&s (maybe not so relevant, but you know, patient contact?:biggrin:)

Only thing that could improve on that would be some long-term volunteering in a care home or similar.

LOL at the last one - my best friend (also a med student) used to do that!

Oxford and Cambridge care much less about work experience etc as long you would have stuff to talk about at interview. I would say that with your GCSEs it's unlikely that you would get an interview at Oxford without an exceptional BMAT without meeting some of the other factors considered (you can look at statistics here). For Cambridge with the best 3 UMS average you stand a reasonable chance of getting an interview I would think but you would have to interview really well to get a place, the competition is so fierce. It really depends on if you want to take the BMAT and go down that route or stick to UKCAT universities and how much you want to go to Oxbridge. You have to decide how much of a risk you're willing to take.
Original post by Daisychains330
My AS results are;

Psych - A
RS - A
Bio - B
Chem - D
And I got 1A* 6A's and 5B's at GCSE

I was so close to an A in bio, just the unit 1 paper that let me down so I'm going to retake that! But my teacher said he thinks he'll predict me an A for A2 wooo 😭

I really wanted to drop RS but I ended up getting full marks so my school won't let me drop it and keep chemistry - I'm definitely going to retake it though and maybe take a gap year and do A2 chem if I can? But that'll mean I basically took 3 years to complete my a levels 😩

I'm really confused as to what I should do tbh, should I just look at something other than medicine? Maybe biomed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For medicine you will have to have chemistry at A level and for pretty much everywhere with A levels within two years. If you think that medicine is really the thing for you then maybe you should try and find a way of that happening, but you could do biomed or another science course without the chemistry and continue with your best subjects. You could then maybe apply for GEM after?
Original post by violin101
Oxford and Cambridge care much less about work experience etc as long you would have stuff to talk about at interview. I would say that with your GCSEs it's unlikely that you would get an interview at Oxford without an exceptional BMAT without meeting some of the other factors considered (you can look at statistics here). For Cambridge with the best 3 UMS average you stand a reasonable chance of getting an interview I would think but you would have to interview really well to get a place, the competition is so fierce. It really depends on if you want to take the BMAT and go down that route or stick to UKCAT universities and how much you want to go to Oxbridge. You have to decide how much of a risk you're willing to take.

Problem is I don't know how well id do on the BMAT as I'm fully focused on doing my ukcat at the moment which I have on the 29th so do you advise I spend a few days doing some BMAT past papers and seeing where I get with them. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by violin101

Also which ones do you think out of Barts, Kings, UCL, imperial and st George's I'd stand the best chance with. I've heard St George's is very extra curricular focused ( work experience, volunteering and whatnot ). Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shizhang
I think that if your school is relatively poor, then your UMS average would do. There's a graph somewhere which shows UMS score and % of applicants who got in with that score...

I've seen that graph. Problem is I don't know whether my school is still relatively poor (bottom 30%). It definitely used to be but it's improved quite a bit so I don't know whether it's still there. Any way I can find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, do you know your school's GCSE and AS and A2 statistics? Like % A*-A, A*-C etc?
Original post by shizhang
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, do you know your school's GCSE and AS and A2 statistics? Like % A*-A, A*-C etc?

I know that for A2 last year only 4% of students received AAB or higher with at least 2 facilitating subjects. Also last year GCSE only 56% of students received 5A*-C including English and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got AAbb for as level but the bs were in biology and chemistry. Do I stand a chance? I got 11 A*s at GCSE but I don't know what to do. I wanted to apply for imperial but I don't even know if I can anymore
Reply 589
So I got AABD, with the A's in maths and biology, B in chemistry and D in Spanish, hopefully I can get predicted an A in chem and maybe an A* in maths but from what I've seen a lot of unis like Nottingham that don't look at your AS' look at your GCSE's quite a bit and I got 3A*7A3B.
However I did get 3020 on the UKCAT, so where do you think are the places that I still meet the minimum academic requirements for but put the most emphasis on that? Newcastle/Durham I'm definitely looking at
Original post by TopBins
Maths - 93 % ums
Chemistry - 90.7% ums
Biology - 94% ums
Further maths - 80.3 % ums

So my average ums is 89.5
And my best 3 ums average is 92.5
7 a*'s and 3a's at GCSEs
I'll probably be carrying on all 4 subjects and I'm 90% confident I can get my teachers to predict me A*A*A*A. I haven't got that much in the sense of work experience 1 week at a hospital a month or so at a care home and hopefully some tutoring in September. I did some charity and fundraising work once a week for a few months aswell. I also have medicine lectures I went to for 6 months I can mention. Should I bother applying to Cambridge? If not Oxford? Or should I just not bother. I don't know whether my school would fall in the bottom 30% is there anyway I can find out? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would apply to Cambridge as they have more places so greater chance (though still ridiculously competitive) and I would like it better. They have a more holistic approach and will take into account your school for AS results. And Oxford only look at BMAT and interview when making final decisions. Choose the one you like best though. Saying that, depending on your school's position your GCSEs might be okay - I just wouldn't take that risk. Your A levels are only a little below average for Cambridge. Your GCSEs are below average for Oxford by a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 591
Original post by alanconnel
good question i think it does not apply with medicine or you'll see a lot more students admitted due the current shortage of doctors in the UK. Plus it corst £250,000 of tax payers money to pay for a medical student through medical school.

thanks very much and yeah I probably would have noticed more med applicants being accepted aha
Reply 592
Original post by Clarinet
Medicine is unaffected since the quotas are decided by the GMC

ah kk thanks
Which universities could I apply to with a UKCAT score of 2670 and AS grades AAAB?

GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
(edited 8 years ago)
GCSE: 3A* 7A 1B (extenuating circumstances) there was also a really low gcse pass rate that year around 30 or 40 would this make any difference to the unis
AS: AAAB with B in chem

planning to apply to london unis like kings queen mary etc
what are my chances if im predicted AAA next year
Original post by shooting_stars
Which universities could I apply to with a UKCAT score of 2670 and AS grades AAAB?

GCSEs: 9A*s 2As

Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by Akantox
So I got AABD, with the A's in maths and biology, B in chemistry and D in Spanish, hopefully I can get predicted an A in chem and maybe an A* in maths but from what I've seen a lot of unis like Nottingham that don't look at your AS' look at your GCSE's quite a bit and I got 3A*7A3B.
However I did get 3020 on the UKCAT, so where do you think are the places that I still meet the minimum academic requirements for but put the most emphasis on that? Newcastle/Durham I'm definitely looking at

Look for places with less emphasis on GCSEs and more on UKCAT, try here as a starting point http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by Milkbottle64
I got AAbb for as level but the bs were in biology and chemistry. Do I stand a chance? I got 11 A*s at GCSE but I don't know what to do. I wanted to apply for imperial but I don't even know if I can anymore

You will have a chance so long as you are predicted AAA to include chem and bio. Imperial put a fair amount of weight on AS grades, so up to you but may be risky. Plenty of other med schools out there, it really is important to apply to your strengths http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by TopBins
I know that for A2 last year only 4% of students received AAB or higher with at least 2 facilitating subjects. Also last year GCSE only 56% of students received 5A*-C including English and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you would know if your school was an under performing one - guidelines state less than 40% 5A*-C GCSE grades and at 16-18 less than 40% achieving more than 172 tariff points (A-level wise this is somewhere between 2Cs and BC).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 599
Original post by theresheglows
No, medicine never goes into clearing.

medicine does go into clearing. there were a few this year ...

Latest

Trending

Trending