The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Elements
You're joking?!? How on earth much would that cost?!:hugs:

I think the school is worried others will follow in our stead and want to do them (which would take money away from important things like paint for the corridors). To think taking AEAs would be revolutionary :confused:
Reply 41
You can get practice papers from the OCR site.

I did the English AEA, really enjoyed it and got a Distinction :biggrin: It was really nice to do an exam and not worry what I got in it, to just be able to enjoy the texts :smile:
I think different exam boards do the different AEAs. If you check on the QCA website (I think) it should give you a list of which exam board does what subject AEA, and there should be past papers on those websites.
Angelil

I did the English AEA, really enjoyed it and got a Distinction :biggrin: It was really nice to do an exam and not worry what I got in it, to just be able to enjoy the texts :smile:

+1. I really enjoyed it!
Reply 44
I did an AEA in History last summer and got a Distinction.
Is it worth it? I'd say most definately yes. Its not much extra work (in fact it's none, in the case of History - bar a three hour exam). And the exam was extremely enjoyable - I wrote about 15 pages (quality not quanity I know...) but I enjoyed every second of it. It was challenging but definately rewarding and did allow me to think outside of the box and apply scenarios to questions I had never really thought of - Its a fantastic exam and you'll almost certainly enjoy it.
Reply 45
alrighty....thanks people!....ill have a look. It sounds excellent!
I'm gonna do one in Economics, from the looks of it, it sounds a helluva lot of fun.
Reply 47
cool, thanks
Reply 48
but gonna ask, do unis e.g. kcl, queen mary, bristol or leeds might make offers based on them for a competitive course like dentistry??
No.
Reply 50
The only Unis that may ask for it is Cambridge (engineering), and Warick in their Mathematics course. Even then it will be part of an alternative offer -

Eg - AAA or AAB + merit at AEA X.
Actually, I know a guy who has the option of scoring AAB+Merit instead of AAA for Durham Physics.
Usually it's only Oxbridge that ask for it, and even then it's only for certain colleges and subjects, but some other very top unis have been known to ask for them for certain courses as well. It seems to be most common for maths and the sciences. I doubt KCL, Queen Mary, Bristol or Leeds would ask for them though.
Reply 53
I'm doing further maths for a-level, is it worth doing an AEA in it as well...I'm assuming it's probably the same level of difficulty :confused:
Reply 54
^ agree. With FM the AEA should be doable. Why not try STEP I?
Reply 55
Only those applying for maths in our school are allowed to attend STEP prep and take the exam...Plus I don't think I'm good enough :frown:

Latest