The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

I failed my degree at Queen Marys and im struggling to understand my options

I was a student at queen Marys doing modern and contemporary history from 2019 to 2022, and I completely failed my degree. When covid happened and we went completely remote learning for the rest of my degree, I just completely lost my grip and let everything go. So they told me I graduated, but I didn't get a degree just some rubbish certificate. I want to try and appeal it so I can have another chance, but I don't understand how? If anyone can point me towards the right resources or help me understand my options I'd be very grateful.
From my understanding on how Bachelors work, you can graduate but the difference between a certificate and a degree is a certificate is awarded when you achieve between 240 and 359 credits (I.e you don’t pass one or more modules) and a degree in achieved when you achieve 360 credits.

Do you have your marks breakdown telling you what you got per module?
(edited 6 months ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
I do, I haven’t looked it. I just know I got the certificate in the post. So I would be appealing to redo the credits I needed to get a degree?
Original post by John11793
I do, I haven’t looked it. I just know I got the certificate in the post. So I would be appealing to redo the credits I needed to get a degree?

On what basis are you appealing to retake your missing credits?
Reply 4
I have medical evidence for my autism and anxiety i can submit, I’m hoping that would be enough.
Original post by John11793
I have medical evidence for my autism and anxiety i can submit, I’m hoping that would be enough.

Did you submit any such evidence during your course?
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Did you submit any such evidence during your course?

I did, but they didn’t offer me any support as far as I recall. Once covid happened and it all went remote learning, i hardly ever heard from them at all.
Was this before or after your assessments as once the assignment is in, they have to mark it fairly. If you submit your medical evidence after you have received your marks, there is no changing your mark but will be able to provide REASONABLE adjustments such as time extensions.

One example is I know someone who had a medical emergency regarding a family member which affected his result (happened within a month of his final exam). The lecturer said that whilst the mark can’t be changed, they can add into the reference saying “I strongly believe had XYZ not happened, this person would have achieved a higher classification”. So they can’t change the mark but can speak for the individual.
I suspect it will be too late to appeal if you’ve been issued an exit award.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending