The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

New computer science people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DreamEdits
I went along with the 13inch macbook pro :smile: apple does a nice discount + free beats now for students! Suggest you check it out to be honest! I went to a taster day and theyve said we eill get a chromebook.. i dont know anymore to be honest with you, ill give it to my young brother now that ive got the macbook... its nice of them to give us anything really because they dont exactly have to but in the end... its their way of getting more people to apply haha

Yeah im getting a new laptop and was thinking about getting a macbook but damn their expensive haha :wink:You got an email about your accommodation yet? Cos I sent mine off last Wednesday but haven't heard anything back yet so I'm guessing it takes time. :biggrin:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
I went along with the 13inch macbook pro :smile: apple does a nice discount + free beats now for students! Suggest you check it out to be honest! I went to a taster day and theyve said we eill get a chromebook.. i dont know anymore to be honest with you, ill give it to my young brother now that ive got the macbook... its nice of them to give us anything really because they dont exactly have to but in the end... its their way of getting more people to apply haha

Yh that is a good strategy.one of the reasons I applied was cos of that Lol and the schlorships but I got crap grades so I don't think I can get them. I'll wait till uni starts and then I'll decide what to buy. Btw I feel.sorry for u . U have to go town first and its gonna be a long journey to uni every day for u just like it was for me with sixth form (I Hated it!). It's gonna take me 45 mins on the train but I'd rather commute than live there lol
Hey guys !

Thought I said Hi !
After a massive delay and mess up on uni's part I have been literally 2 days ago accepted to Coventry for Computer Science course. I just applied for accommodation on Saturday and hoping that there is something left >.< Hope I will see you there in September !
Original post by Daveee996
Hey guys !

Thought I said Hi !
After a massive delay and mess up on uni's part I have been literally 2 days ago accepted to Coventry for Computer Science course. I just applied for accommodation on Saturday and hoping that there is something left >.< Hope I will see you there in September !

Hi!

I haven't heard back about my accommodation yet and I sent it last Wednesday so I don't think you've missed much :smile:.

See you there!
Original post by danielhebron
Hi!

I haven't heard back about my accommodation yet and I sent it last Wednesday so I don't think you've missed much :smile:.

See you there!

That's good to hear for me but not for you haha. I also tried booking through unite-students but they are fully booked. Just refreshing the page hoping that someone will cancel, though doubtful. If I won't get a reply until Wednesday I will just call them, although when I called them on Saturday they said that they are still allocating rooms.
Reply 25
Nope I didn't get anything because I'm not applying for it, maybe throughout the year if theres spaces.. depends on how bored I will be on the hour long journeys... but ill have a car sooner rather than later so I guess I wont move... I don't know ill have to see :smile: I'm pretty sure it takes time tho
Reply 26
Hey guys !

Thought I said Hi !

well I hope you find something! I'm sure there will be something, if not then you can always look for renting a room somewhere close to the campus :smile: Good Luck tho and see you soon!

Original post by Mohammed Zohaib
Yh that is a good strategy.one of the reasons I applied was cos of that Lol and the schlorships but I got crap grades so I don't think I can get them. I'll wait till uni starts and then I'll decide what to buy. Btw I feel.sorry for u . U have to go town first and its gonna be a long journey to uni every day for u just like it was for me with sixth form (I Hated it!). It's gonna take me 45 mins on the train but I'd rather commute than live there lol

its like an hour long journey but I shall be getting a driving license soon and a car straight away (parents promise haha) so yeah it might not be as bad after all! :smile:
well I hope you find something! I'm sure there will be something, if not then you can always look for renting a room somewhere close to the campus :smile: Good Luck tho and see you soon!

Thanks and see you in September ^^
Reply 28
Hi guys

Thought I'd pop into this thread. I finished BSc Computing this past May and am graduating in November. Any questions, feel free to ask any I'll try and answer. I know this thread refers to Computer Science, but the two courses are very similar in terms of modules.

One thing I've picked up in this thread is laptops. From my own experience, you can get away without one in first year, but you'll find yourself very quickly falling behind in second and third year. I'd recommend starting out with a laptop early and getting into the routine of taking it every day, because it'll be invaluable later on.

:smile:
Original post by D.M.N.
Hi guys

Thought I'd pop into this thread. I finished BSc Computing this past May and am graduating in November. Any questions, feel free to ask any I'll try and answer. I know this thread refers to Computer Science, but the two courses are very similar in terms of modules.

One thing I've picked up in this thread is laptops. From my own experience, you can get away without one in first year, but you'll find yourself very quickly falling behind in second and third year. I'd recommend starting out with a laptop early and getting into the routine of taking it every day, because it'll be invaluable later on.

:smile:

Well I guess I start saving some money for a laptop then haha. Why is world such a money focused ?! >.<
And for a question, do you have to have any previous knowledge before starting the course ? Obviously it would be good but is it necessary because personally I didn't have time for anything like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Well I guess I start saving some money for a laptop then haha. Why is world such a money focused ?! >.<
And for a question, do you have to have any previous knowledge before starting the course ? Obviously it would be good but is it necessary because personally I didn't have time for anything like that.

From what they say its not necessary ... they start from scratch :smile:
Reply 31
Hi everyone, I'll be starting the Computer Science course this September. Going to be spending my first year living in Singer Hall block 23, let me know if you're close by.
From what they say its not necessary ... they start from scratch :smile:

Alright thats good then haha.

Original post by Harry102
Hi everyone, I'll be starting the Computer Science course this September. Going to be spending my first year living in Singer Hall block 23, let me know if you're close by.

Hello ! I still dont know my accommodation but will let you know if I am gonna end up anywhere close to you.
That's good to hear for me but not for you haha. I also tried booking through unite-students but they are fully booked. Just refreshing the page hoping that someone will cancel, though doubtful. If I won't get a reply until Wednesday I will just call them, although when I called them on Saturday they said that they are still allocating rooms.

Yeah 2 years ago my sis used Unite but said it wasnt really worth it cos a lot of what they gave you wasn't useful and the saucepans were bad quality and cos they weren't nonstick pans all the food got stuck to them haha but still it saves on having to buy everything yourself at least!
Do u guys use Facebook or Twitter?
Original post by danielhebron
Yeah 2 years ago my sis used Unite but said it wasnt really worth it cos a lot of what they gave you wasn't useful and the saucepans were bad quality and cos they weren't nonstick pans all the food got stuck to them haha but still it saves on having to buy everything yourself at least!

Haha, thats pretty bad. Yet its better to have 2 options available than 1 for accommodation right ?

Original post by Mohammed Zohaib
Do u guys use Facebook or Twitter?

Yeah I use Facebook.
Great!
my twitter is @Zohaib543
and my fb is https://www.facebook.com/mohammedzohaib01
Reply 37

You can get away without a laptop for first year, but I'd say it is essential for second and third year.

I did A Level Computing beforehand, but the first year modules begin at a very, very basic level. The first programming lab for example will be writing "Hello World!", that's it. If you have expert programming knowledge, you'll either enjoy it because you're ahead of the class, or hate it because you already know everything that is being taught.

It's swing and roundabouts really. - but I think the standard is better now than when I started.
Reply 38
hopefully we get a tablet or chrome book would help save me some money, uni life gonna be hard budgeting
Reply 39
Original post by namar123
hopefully we get a tablet or chrome book would help save me some money, uni life gonna be hard budgeting

I went to the course open day and they said that we should be getting a Chrome Book each for projects, which is good because I'll only be taking a desktop and need a laptop for taking notes.

On a side note, someone should make a Facebook Group for Coventry BSc Computer Science students.

Quick Reply

Latest