The Student Room Group

Do I go for Cambridge or Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Awesome Genius
Why no f maths Ronnie ?

It seemed scary to me when I first started looking at a level choices, then regretted not taking it.
I am self teaching some modules to prepare myself but won't be sitting the exams as I don't need the grade in it :smile:

Original post by Mihael_Keehl
I see. It is easier to get an interview from Cam, but generally harder to meet the offers.Do you edexcel maths/ocr sciences/aqa general studies.Couldn't do bio but doing three math a levels amongst others

I do, except I do aqa sciences.
Bio is quite good, definitely better at A2 than AS though
Ultimately I think you picked the right choice as it's better to go for the course you will enjoy more, considering you will be studying it for 3 years.
Good luck with your interview!
Reply 22
Original post by LiquidGold
Ultimately I think you picked the right choice as it's better to go for the course you will enjoy more, considering you will be studying it for 3 years.
Good luck with your interview!

Thank you, I do hope I get the interview

That's what I thought, I just decided it's best to give it a shot. I was also thinking if I don't get in and end up getting 4A*s or something then maybe I'll take a gap year and reapply haha :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Thank you, I do hope I get the interview

That's what I thought, I just decided it's best to give it a shot. I was also thinking if I don't get in and end up getting 4A*s or something then maybe I'll take a gap year and reapply haha :smile:

Don't worry I'm sure you will with your grades, very similar to mine and I got one (albeit a different course and few years ago).

Once again, good luck!
Hi, I've gotten my AS today which have confirmed I should be applying to Oxbridge. However the problem is, I'm stuck as to which one I should actually go for.
I prefer the Cambridge course as although I want to end up with a Astrophysics/Physics Masters, the Nat Sci will let me do things like chemistry and biology at university level, which is quite important to me. However, Cambridge doesn't take much notice of GCSEs in which I did quite well and wanted to use to my advantage, and they also get my UMS scores. I am averaging around 90% if you add up my scores from all subjects together, and here are individual scores:
Maths: 93%
Physics: 93%
Chemistry: 86%
Biology: 88%
General Studies: 81%
Polish (mothers tongue): 95%
However I'm resiting a module in chemistry as I'm confident I can pull it up to 90%.
Now if I was to apply for Oxford, they'd be able to see 6As and good GCSEs, but I'd then be applying for just physics.
Can someone please advise me whether to risk it and apply for the preferred joint honours at Cambridge as my UMS aren't as high as they probably should be, or should I go for Oxford where I might be more likely to be accepted? I will still be happy doing a Physics Masters straight away, I'll just be sad to leave the other sciences behind. I also like both Universities so the only thing that I'm bothered about mainly is my chances of getting in.

I'd always advise applicants to go with the course they prefer. The course is what will determine how much fun you have and what you get out of your time at university. Does your school offer further maths?
Reply 25
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I'd always advise applicants to go with the course they prefer. The course is what will determine how much fun you have and what you get out of your time at university. Does your school offer further maths?

Yeah that's what I ended up doing and applied for natsci. They do offer FM but I was initially discouraged by teachers as I came from a pretty bad comp school and didn't do additional maths at GCSE. I thought i wouldn't have enough knowledge to do it. I do regret not taking it but I will be teaching myself some topics from FP1-3
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah that's what I ended up doing and applied for natsci. They do offer FM but I was initially discouraged by teachers as I came from a pretty bad comp school and didn't do additional maths at GCSE. I thought i wouldn't have enough knowledge to do it. I do regret not taking it but I will be teaching myself some topics from FP1-3

Damnn sorry you missed out on FM. That's terrible of your school though. Although, I did fsmq, I found it useless. The topics taught are just random chapters that can be found in random modules. (You get binomial in C2.. To Linear Programming in D1 etc.). My point is it's just not even worth taking a year to learn some random A Level chapters which you'll have to cover again anyway. It's good though that you'll teach some FP stuff. Pretty great content..

But yeah as for additional maths at GCSE to do FM.. That's bs :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Student403
Damnn sorry you missed out on FM. That's terrible of your school though. Although, I did fsmq, I found it useless. The topics taught are just random chapters that can be found in random modules. (You get binomial in C2.. To Linear Programming in D1 etc.). My point is it's just not even worth taking a year to learn some random A Level chapters which you'll have to cover again anyway. It's good though that you'll teach some FP stuff. Pretty great content..

But yeah as for additional maths at GCSE to do FM.. That's bs :frown:

Yeah exactly that's what I was thinking so I'll be looking through the content anyway!

And yeah I know, they also didn't let me do M1 because I didn't do AM GCSE
Yeah exactly that's what I was thinking so I'll be looking through the content anyway!

And yeah I know, they also didn't let me do M1 because I didn't do AM GCSE

WTF M1 anyone can do that. Complete and utter crap, that -.- I only got flippin' 88 on the summer exam even though I took FSMQ. And many of my classmates who didn't ended up with >95 hahah.
Oxford all the way , city sucks but the uni is amazing.
Reply 30
Original post by Student403
WTF M1 anyone can do that. Complete and utter crap, that -.- I only got flippin' 88 on the summer exam even though I took FSMQ. And many of my classmates who didn't ended up with >95 hahah.

I know exactly plus I did physics anyway so would've been very easy for me to get a good grade
Reply 31
Original post by 06sulraj
Is it really that hard to get an interview from Oxford?

Oxford generally interviews about 3 applicants per place, which means the proportion of candidates interviewed for any one subject varies from well under 50% (for very popular subjects) to nearly 100% for less oversubscribed courses. Of course, it's similarly difficult to get in to either university; Oxford's lower interview rate simply reflects the fact that even candidates with good academic backgrounds might not have a realistic chance of getting in, given the strength of competition for places.
Original post by 06sulraj
Yeah, but she should go to whichever she feels comfortable in.

Oxford consistently tops Cambridge on Times though.
lmao never mind.

Yes you too!

Same college?

Nat Sci is the hardest course at Cam from what I have heard, do you do any entrance papers?

Lol no way. It is obviously Mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what I am applying for!

Where you applying to, which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read an article recently and it said that it's Maths. I was expecting Medicine or NatSci :/
Thats what I am applying for!

Where you applying to, which college?

Last year i applied to fitzwilliam and got an offer but missed it lol. Thid time im going for homerton after speaking to the dos i really liked him.
Last year i applied to fitzwilliam and got an offer but missed it lol. Thid time im going for homerton after speaking to the dos i really liked him.

ah ul, I have seen you post on here a lot. And you seem to know your stuff. Any idea when you would recommend all the STEP stuff should be done by?
Like what time would you recommend doing past papers etc. Should you complete all a level modules for maths before you look at step?

Good luck though! Did you give the MAT?
ah ul, I have seen you post on here a lot. And you seem to know your stuff. Any idea when you would recommend all the STEP stuff should be done by?
Like what time would you recommend doing past papers etc. Should you complete all a level modules for maths before you look at step?

Good luck though! Did you give the MAT?

Yes I did the MAT. As soon as you finish C1-4 start step I. Slowly though. Tons of people start in jan and feb and make there offers. So starting this ealry puts you in good stead. Be secure with FP1-3 and C1-4 by jan and you shoukd be ok. Do all your required modules(mech and or stats) by feb and that gives plenty of time to do questions with step. Final piece of advice the more practice he better. Any maths is better then no maths. Save the last 4 years of papers for june. Save the 2014/2015 papers for the last two weeks before the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I did the MAT. As soon as you finish C1-4 start step I. Slowly though. Tons of people start in jan and feb and make there offers. So starting this ealry puts you in good stead. Be secure with FP1-3 and C1-4 by jan and you shoukd be ok. Do all your required modules(mech and or stats) by feb and that gives plenty of time to do questions with step. Final piece of advice the more practice he better. Any maths is better then no maths. Save the last 4 years of papers for june. Save the 2014/2015 papers for the last two weeks before the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant thank you for the advice.

Are you doing decision 1/2, I can't believe that it is not in STEP, seems about as relevant as business studies. But the algorithms are fun to play around with.

Actaully I can believe it nm lol.

Do you know if we can apply laplace transformations to help solve differential equations for STEP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending