The Student Room Group
If you go back one page, there is a big thread about this.
Reply 2
well yer i saw that, most of it is people talking crap about whether they think film studies is a viable degree, not bothered about that personally.

i am looking for people who do the course at the uni's listed above to reply, perhaps this isnt the best place to do it
Reply 3
Erm not sure inidividually which is actually best for that course and I don't claim to study it or anything, but I'd say Queen Mary's, London, would probably outstrip all the others by miles in terms of reputation, which enevitably, if not probably, will get you a better job in the end. I think Sussex is reasonably good as well too. Good luck with whichever you choose :-)
Reply 4
hello there, I've applied to do film studies and at some of the same uni's (all except sheffield) I have a freind at Sussex doing film and she says that it's quite hard going and alot more academic than other courses, I have also spoken to those at UWE who say it is a mix of practical film making and critical analysis so think all courses vary alot so be sure you know what you want out of the course. Everyone however who I have spoken to seems to really enjoy the course.

was also wondering when you recieved an offer from Queen Mary's as I have been invited to an open day/taster session but have not yet received an offer/rejection.
xx
Reply 5
hey, sorry for the delay in reply

thanks for the info on uwe and sussex, i am looking to do some practical work but not too much as i have done 2 years in college of filmmaking, so uwe is sounding good.
i have been invited to an open day at queen mary without recieving an offer the same as you, you thinking of going? will be a waste of time and money if they refuse me!
Reply 6
hello sorry about delay in my reply now lol! Yeah I went to the open day in the end, did you? I thought it was really good am and really keen to go, now just have to wait and see if they give me an offer! Have you heard anything from them yet, have u made any final decisions on uni's? x
Hi there,

Unfortunately I do not study Film at any of the Universities, but if you were to check the ratings for their Media degrees then this should give you some indication as to their ratings due to the fact that Media and Film are closely interconnected disciplines.

However, I would advise you study Film with another subject unless you are 100% certain that you will be a successful film director in 5 years time, as without studying this option with another course it can be somewhat restrictive as to the career pathways open to you upon completion. I.e., study Film and Media, Film and Marketing, Film and English etc, so that there is elastication in being able to search for a job or even further study.

Hope this helps
Reply 8
deanhill1072007

However, I would advise you study Film with another subject unless you are 100% certain that you will be a successful film director in 5 years time, as without studying this option with another course it can be somewhat restrictive as to the career pathways open to you upon completion. I.e., study Film and Media, Film and Marketing, Film and English etc, so that there is elastication in being able to search for a job or even further study.

Not really true, film studies is (usually) an academic course based on research and originally thought rather than practical film making. It gives you a strong basis for a huge variety of jobs and a lot nothing to do with film. Film studies won’t make you a director, and saying join film studies with another subject because it is restrictive is just bad information.
Reply 9
still no offer but went to the uni for an open day today, really good course but not sure about the uni itself and the area, might not be for me. got to take into consideration the fact i will be living there for 3 years

Latest

Trending

Trending